Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constant traffic on dialup connection

Wayne99 Guest

Default constant traffic on dialup connection

I have posted about my troubles here, including shots of my active processes. I'm at my wits end. I cant use my windows internet connection because I hahve dialup and something else is using it constantly...I even went into ZA and unchecked "allow certified Microsoft programs access", and I really dont know what to do now. I dont know how to tell which program/process is accessing the internet..

This problem just started, I have been running ZA and the same system for a year, Compaq Presario C501 and windows xp SP2....hellp...help....help....

~SNIP~
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 31st, 2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Removed Live Link to Advertisements in other Web-site Violate Forum Rules

Default Re: constant traffic on dialup connection

Sorry to hear that your Unsafe Practices when you surf the Internet may have resulted in infecting your Computer..

No Security Software or Firewall can Protect you when you over-ride the safe guards a Firewall provides, when you use programs like "Bit-torrent" to download Free or Pirated Songs, CD's and games ..

NOTE: the process of Allowing the Download (with or without Bit-torrent) you By-passed the protection provided by your security software..

(Note: Bit-torrent in general is a Safe Utility, when used Responsibly and on Safe Web-sites)

From reading your Plea for help on the other Forum, it looks like your Computer was infected by the Download you allowed onto your computer, and infected or donated your computer for use as a "ZOMBIE" for lots of Hackers to use..

================

Try these Remades to try and Clean up the Mess you made of your Computer..

Check the system for malware. Check with MBAM (MalwareBytes) and SuperAntispyware.

Click links here:
    Mal-ware Clean-up Guidance

1). Clean your system and registry with ccleaner.com
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim

2). Re-download the latest Free installer

ZoneAlarm free Firewall updates

3). Install with default settings do NOT alter them.

Now Install the new ZA Free (clean Install) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

4.) you will also need to add a GOOD Anti-Virus program ( that does not include Firewall feature)
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 31st, 2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Update

Wayne99 Guest

Thanks for the ideas. I did not know that downloading with bitttorrent could be any more unsafe than any other downloads. I did a little research before downloading it, but evidently I didnt do enough. I've only been infected once in 15 years so I like to think I'm pretty careful. I only downloaded it to use one time. Can you explain better why this happened, ie how I "bypassed the protection provided by my security"?

If hackers were using my computer as a "Zombie" what should I look for in terms of damage?

Thank you for responding..

Please Follow the Instructions in my first reply, the following link will explain how you got infected..

Check the system for malware. Check with MBAM (MalwareBytes) and SuperAntispyware.

Click links here:

Mal-ware Clean-up Guidance

Wayne99 Guest

Hmmm...did all that you recommended. SuperAS found 244 items in my firefox profiles folder, in a subfolder called mrtuhniq.defaut. I told it to fix the items, and it did. Ran CC cleaner too, and reinstalled Zone Alarm. The traffic problem is gone but so are all my firefox bookmarks, usernames, passwords. I didnt like the name of that folder so I renamed it Wayne, which may be why my bookmarks are missing, but the old mrtuhniq.default file has now regenerated itself....but still no unwanted internet traffic, at least so far. A google turns up next to nothing on "tuhniq" (at least in English) so I'm guessing I'm not quite out of the woods yet.

Wayne99 Guest

OK, I got my settings back by changing the folder name back but this mrtuhniq stuff troubles me....still no traffic though

Post Re: constant traffic on dialup connection

Thank you for your Feedback..

I'm glad you were able to stop the un-wanted outbound traffic..

Now you are aware of the Risk of surfing the Internet with just a Free Firewall..

You have to be very carefully What and where you download stuff from,

Even Safe Reputable Name Brand Web-sites have been known to be hacked and compromised from time to time..

Good luck.. and seasons greeting..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 31st, 2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typo

Wayne99 Guest

Default constant traffic is back

I had this problem a few months ago, and got rid of it.

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=76064

I haven.t been messing with bit torrent or anything like it. I've gone through the steps again and the problem remains. Constant traffic. I've run all the malware and antivirus. I've shut down all non essential processes. I have reinstalled and tried all settings on ZA...why cant it tell me what program is accessing the internet without permission? I have ONLY allowed Firefox to access internet in ZA.

Just use TCPView and Process Explorer to get a better understanding on the applications connecting to the internet.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Wayne99 Guest

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried those, and though I cant call myself an expert in their use yet they seem to confirm what I determined through Task Manager. And that is that one of my many instances of svchost.exe
    is the source of the traffic. Unfortunately when I end that particular process, I also lose connectivity to the internet.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 20th, 2011 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Hi-light problem with Windows file

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information