Thread: Toolbar Question

Smile Toolbar Question

I am running Win 7 with Firefox 4.0.1 I have upgraded to ZoneAlarm 10.0.240 and am quite happy with it but do have a question regarding the Toolbar.

In short do I need it? I don’t need another search box, or a weather forecast. Under “Predefined Components” I have selected “Site Check” and “Private Browsing”, there is nothing on the Toolbar to indicate either is on or working but I assume they are.

So do I need it, and can someone (briefly) explain what “Site Check” and “Private Browsing” are doing, and more importantly how can I test them.

Keep up the good work.

allgo

Default Re: Toolbar Question

Quote Originally Posted by allgo View Post
    I am running Win 7 with Firefox 4.0.1 I have upgraded to ZoneAlarm 10.0.240 and am quite happy with it but do have a question regarding the Toolbar.

In short do I need it? I don’t need another search box, or a weather forecast. Under “Predefined Components” I have selected “Site Check” and “Private Browsing”, there is nothing on the Toolbar to indicate either is on or working but I assume they are.

So do I need it, and can someone (briefly) explain what “Site Check” and “Private Browsing” are doing, and more importantly how can I test them.

Keep up the good work.

allgo
    Simple Solution..

just Click on the ZA "HELP" button, then click the Help on the drop down, and type in Site check, or Private Browsing" and click Go
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stormsy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by allgo View Post
    Regarding the toolbar; In short do I need it? I don’t need another search box, or a weather forecast. Under “Predefined Components” I have selected “Site Check” and “Private Browsing”, there is nothing on the Toolbar to indicate either is on or working but I assume they are.

As far as I am aware - the toolbar is needed to be able to display the site status and private browsing icons, so yes you do need it and I belive you cannot get rid of it (unless you opt out for the toolbar to be installed during installation).

As for the search box, I am afraid you cannot get rid of that either (again; part of the toolbar). But under "additonal settings" you can choose to turn the search bar off (but that won't get rid of it all together, just makes it redundant.)

If you click on the little spanner you get a list of options, one of which is the weather forecast - simply untick those that you do not want and they will disappear. If you decide to do make any changes to the toolbar, make sure you turn the web security off in the ZA panel before making any changes (for some reason, when I made changes, it didn't like my changes when the web security was on :S).

As for testing the site status icon, I am not sure if there are any test pages to verify if it works; but if you go to a website (say Google) and click on the site status icon it will give you details about the page. That is as far as I can help you with the site status icon. I do know that it is inter-linked with the Anti-spyware engine of ZA so any Anti-virus updates, those signatures will be used to verify if certain sites are malicious or not.

For the private browsing icon, when clicked, a new window will open (and if you restore down the window, you will notice a glow around the boarder of the browser. Some people get it, some don't, it's merely a cosmetic thing), and when enabled it "... erases all your web history, cache, cookies etc and lets you browse in complete privacy ..." {quoted from ZA website}

Note: there is a known issue within FireFox 4.0.1, that if private browsing is clicked, a new window appears without any icon/text to indicate the private browsing is enabled. If private browsing has been enabled, it is perfectly okay to not see the private browsing icon - thus indicating private browsing has been enabled.

Sorry I cannot give any more detailed explanation of the site status icon, but I hope what I've said helps.
    Stormsy.

Lessismore Guest

I've installed the following on Windows 7 64 bit Toshiba Satellite laptop:

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.0.246.000
    vsmon version: 10.0.246.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1056522528
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.311.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.53.235
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

My community toolbar is the only toolbar I have -- no forcefield shows. The "site check" is grayed out. I had it at one point, but it disappeared after a Firefox 3.6.18 restart.

Any suggestions of how to get this site check button green? (I did a total uninstall of ZAE and reinstall, but didn't fix the problem.)

Also -- are all the components working even if this site check button is grayed out?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Lessismore; July 25th, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

Thread Information