Thread: Multiple Copies of IE Running in Task Manager

katiebuglove Guest

Default Multiple Copies of IE Running in Task Manager

I noticed a this a few days ago by accident and went searching. I found copies of IE in Windows\System 32\dllcache; Program Files\MS Works\Works, etc. I renamed them, opened my browser and saw there were still two copies running. I then deleted the copies that were found outisde of C:\Program Files, rebooted, opened my browser and they're still running.

I went to the ZA Application Control, saw two IE listed in Programs and killed the one showing outside of C:\Program Files. I opened my browser, 2 copies still running, looked at App Control again and the 4 red x's had turned back to green checks.

Incidently, I had to red check two of the columns on Generic Host Process to keep Port 135 closed and they keep reverting back to green. Am I infected? All help appreciated!!

ZoneAlarm version: 10.0.241.000
    vsmon version: 10.0.241.000
    Driver version: 10.0.241.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1054487776
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.311.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.53.235
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

Windows XP
    SP3
    IE8
    Last edited by katiebuglove; June 26th, 2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Spelling Errors!

Default Re: Multiple Copies of IE Running in Task Manager

Your problem with multiple copies of IE running sounds like a Windows or IE problem.. I'm sure Zone Alarm did not cause the problem..

I did a "GOOGLE.EXE Search" and found this Solution on the "Microsoft Answers" web-page..
    "task manager shows multiple copies of IE8 running when I have only 1 browser open"

Applies To: Internet Explorer | Internet Explorer 8 | Windows XP
    I have WInXP Media Ctr Ed w/ sp3. periodically I notice that browser's very slow or that when I choose to close window, the window that asks if I want to close current tabs or all tabs will re-appear after I choose close all tabs. When I opened TAsk Mgr, I found that I'd have at least 3 copies of IE8 running even though I'd only opened 1 & there's only 1 window showing. I"ve searched all over support area but find no similar problem. HElp?

Click on this link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...a-428e4bf0c763

katiebuglove Guest

ZA probably did not cause this, but I read that maybe my firewall had to call home and that it opened up a second iexplore.exe for that purpose.

Anyway, I tried the link you sent me, thank you! I followed the steps but still have two in Task Manager.

Except for slowing my system down, I'm not too concerned. I ran SAS Pro, Emsisoft, Malwarebytes, ZA (phwew!) and nothing showed up to indicate any viruses.

Thanks for your help, GeorgeV, always appreciated.

Multiple Iexplorers is nothing to worry about..

That is a normal Microsoft function..

my Task Manager shows multiple iexplorer running now with just this one Web-page running..

Your not infected or being attacted by an Unkown souces..

have a nice weekend..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 26th, 2011 at 02:25 PM.

I use Process Explorer v 14.12.When I open IE8 it show one iexplore.exe with 1888 PID (Process Identifier) another PID 964.Looks like it's an open IE tab process from what I can see.

If I open an other tab shows another tab process PID 3948.

I have default setting in Internet Options for Tabs.

XP SP3
    IE8

Have a nice Day

Last edited by Sky Soldiers; June 26th, 2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: New version

katiebuglove Guest

I don't use the tabs settings, I like one page function and use back/forward buttons. Call me crazy (and old fashioned).

So, would I still have multiples showing? I did read that if you close your browser and all copies clear from Task Manager, you're not infected. And, when I don't have a browser open,there aren't any showing in TM then either.

And I'm kind of wondering why the multiples started only a few days ago and not all along.... And, dang! it's really slowing me down!!

Thread Information