Thread: ZAES 10 - question on Browser Security

cycmer Guest

Question ZAES 10 - question on Browser Security

I'm facing a learning curve here and hope folks can make suggestions...

I'm running WIN 7, SP1 with IE 8.0.7601.17514
    and
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.0.246.000
    vsmon version: 10.0.246.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1055877408
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.311.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.311.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

In ZAES, it says 'web security is on', and 'browser security is on'

However, in IE8, there is no ZA Toolbar displayed. [ I just did a clean install of ZA].
    When I go to the menu View> Toolbars, there are two ZA items listed - unchecked.
    - zone alarm browser security engine
    - zone alarm browser security extreme toolbar

Do I need to select one or both of these? what will that do besides "display" the toolbars?
    ... upsides? downsides?

Thanks for your help.
    Bob

Smile Re: ZAES 10 - question on Browser Security

Hi!

sorry we are all users here, If you have a valid ZA license
    Please contact the ZA technical support Live Chat at the link in my signature and troubleshoot the issue with them.

Please post back here if you find a solution. It may help other users...
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cycmer Guest

Default Re: ZAES 10 - question on Browser Security

OK. will do.... thought some users might be able to exucate me on the use of the two toolbars.....

cycmer Guest

OK, ZA online told me to enable both.... I did that.... now it appears that only the ZA extreme security toolbar is active.. not the ZA security engine ??? is that correct?
    both show as enabled, but no toolbar

am I protected?

PLUS... The toolbar has a LOT OF GARBAGE ON IT.... like YOU TUBE, FlixsterMOvies. weather. facebook, Online back ups (which I can understand as ZA has a marketing argeement with them), ID Guard(, which I can understand as ZA has a marketing argeement with them)

Do I need to have this toolbar taking up real esate? to protect me? or could I hide/disable it, and still be protected???

If you get this display, then you are Fully Protected..

GeorgeV

bwitzke Guest

I would like some clarification on this. It sounds to me that if we are to make use of the functionality that we paid for (browser security) we must also required to have a toolbar visible in our browser? The direction that the industry is currently heading in is to not have the browsing window cluttered with toolbars. If toolbar access is needed for certain actions other than advertising, which hopefully we paid not to have, shouldn't we be able to hide it when we aren't using it?

If someone explain the difference between having the engine running and having the tool bar running it would be helpful.

If the toolbar isn't turned on does the engine have any purpose? I'm not clear on the functionality of the too add-ins.

Smile Re: ZAES 10 - question on Browser Security

Quote Originally Posted by bwitzke View Post
    I would like some clarification on this. It sounds to me that if we are to make use of the functionality that we paid for (browser security) we must also required to have a toolbar visible in our browser? The direction that the industry is currently heading in is to not have the browsing window cluttered with toolbars. If toolbar access is needed for certain actions other than advertising, which hopefully we paid not to have, shouldn't we be able to hide it when we aren't using it?

If someone explain the difference between having the engine running and having the tool bar running it would be helpful.

If the toolbar isn't turned on does the engine have any purpose? I'm not clear on the functionality of the too add-ins.

Hi!

sorry we are all users here
    , If you have a valid ZA license

Please contact the ZA technical support Live Chat at the link in my signature and troubleshoot the issue with them.
    GeorgeV

Quote Originally Posted by cycmer View Post
    OK, ZA online told me to enable both.... I did that.... now it appears that only the ZA extreme security toolbar is active.. not the ZA security engine ??? is that correct?
    both show as enabled, but no toolbar

am I protected?

PLUS... The toolbar has a LOT OF GARBAGE ON IT.... like YOU TUBE, FlixsterMOvies. weather. facebook, Online back ups (which I can understand as ZA has a marketing argeement with them), ID Guard(, which I can understand as ZA has a marketing argeement with them)

Do I need to have this toolbar taking up real esate? to protect me? or could I hide/disable it, and still be protected???
    I would check the following :

In the GUI under INTERNET Protected tab make sure Web Security and Browser Virtualization are ON.Make sure that under Settings they are all enable to include Enable Virtualization.

In IE8 check under Tools / Manage Add-ons and that all five Add-ons Enable.

Under View / Toolbars make sure both Zone Alarm Browser Security Engine and Zone Alarm Toolbar are checked.

If Zone Alarm Browser Security Engine is unchecked.ForceField is broken and unrecoverable.

Sorry, Have no other suggestions since 10.0.246.000 no longer installed.Have reverted back to version 9.3.037.000.

Footnote : I did three clean uninstalls via Add/Remove and Clean.exe utility and cleared temp files (%temp%) in Run before reinstalling.Could never recover.Site Check didn't work and Private Browser tab missing in version 246 on every install.I also redownloaded installer in case it could be corrupt.

In versions 240, 241, 243 ForceField worked for a week or so and it did have a glow around the browser.Then ForceField broke and couldn't recover after that.When it broke I checked in View and Zone Alarm Browser Security Engine was now unchecked.Never got it to work again using IE8 and XP SP3.

BTW : Click on the spanner on the far right.You can enable or disable toolbar options or Garbage there.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; July 19th, 2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Typo, rephrase

Thread Information