Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I never added eBay or PayPal as trusted sites am I infected?

laozisailor Guest

Smile I never added eBay or PayPal as trusted sites am I infected?

Why would I have this showing up? I never added eBay or PayPal as trusted sites and certainly did not access this from the future (notice 2019)?

I do suspect having a trojan on my machine and after ZA, ESET, Greatis, not reporting any anomalies I am now inspecting packets using Wireshark (aka. Ethereal -- original version).

Really, at this stage I need some help because I receive emails from eBay asking me to change passwords and the msg is not listed in my eBay Inbox (standard procedure), definite sign of spoof/phish.

Thanks,

BTW, if I should open a new thread about this please (powers-that-be) let me know. Tx.
    Also this is being written from a different machine, my main machine now having turned to an old Aspire running Linux. This is from an XP on the network (not available to the laptop with the problem -- it has been excluded from the network).

Default Re: I never added eBay or PayPal as trusted sites am I infected?

Hi!

Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer and Software that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

I understand your frustration but no security tool can cover 100% of malware out there, if ZA is configured properly and with good attention from the users your system can be efficiently protected and your data kept secure without the need of piling up security tools that often help the infection to get in rather than protecting the system.

I would suggest you read carefully this thread:
    xyz was not detected. What I should do?

You should have not spend any money in fixing the PC, by following the steps in this thread:
    Malware Clean-up Guidance

or by getting voluntary free support from bleepingcomputer or spywarehammer forum (links in the Guidance) you would had your system fixed. Moreover its not the first time you post here, so you should have seen the malware section here...

TDDS malware is often embedded in fake antiviruses and fake tools, these needs to be installed with the consent of the user. So, more attention on what you install is key to keep your system clean. Also ensure forcefield virtualization is ON in your ZA Pro to avoid drive-by-download infections.

If your system is used by others ensure they connect with another account with limited user rights and protect ZA with a password to avoid been shutdown or uninstalled.

Thanks,
    GeorgeV

PS: I move your Request for help to it's own thread, to prvent your Accidental "HI-JACKING" of another users Request for help.. as your problems have nothing to do with the problem the other user had..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 27th, 2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: update
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Hi!
    yes, that entry is normal and on all ZA products having identity protection feature.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

laozisailor Guest

GeorgeV, thank for your reply. I am in the process of following your instructions. ~snip~

Now to some of the questions you asked:

I have been a ZA user since 2001
    [quote]-----Original Message-----

[Forum Rules ask that you do not post Email Addresses in this Forum]

Subject: Important ZoneAlarm Pro Security Update

We're pleased to announce the release of ZoneAlarm Pro version 2.6.

~Snip~

Since I have the option of installing on three (3) machines I installed it on my XP desktop successfully (while waiting for the laptop to go over 40% during configuration):

ZoneAlarm Pro version: 10.0.243.000
    vsmon version: 10.0.243.000
    Driver version: 10.0.243.000
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.311.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.311.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155
    ...and so since starting this reply, the laptop is still at 40% configuring.
    I feel very bad about uninstalling Greatis (ESET was not a problem on this XP system where RegRun is not installed) because that makes my TCO of ZA much higher than I would have liked. Nevertheless I will do it to see if that will allow ZA 10 onto the laptop, knowing that I will have to spend additional time to reinstall it IF that is indeed the reason the config won't go past 40%.

I mean no disrespect and am grateful for your help.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 27th, 2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: No offense taken, but some of your comments needed to be removed.

laozisailor Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!
    yes, that entry is normal and on all ZA products having identity protection feature.

Cheers,
    Fax
    uuuhm, too bad I just noticed this, I'm way up to my head forging ahead with [your] GeorgeV's previous instructions.

Would this be a possible reason for getting the false eBay messages if they were properly spoofed to get my IP address?

Thanks.
    Last edited by laozisailor; July 27th, 2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: did not notice the message came from a different source

laozisailor Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laozisailor View Post
    [...SNIP...]
    ...and so since starting this reply, the laptop is still at 40% configuring.
    I feel very bad about uninstalling Greatis (ESET was not a problem on this XP system where RegRun is not installed) because that makes my TCO of ZA much higher than I would have liked. Nevertheless I will do it to see if that will allow ZA 10 onto the laptop, knowing that I will have to spend additional time to reinstall it IF that is indeed the reason the config won't go past 40%.

I mean no disrespect and am grateful for your help.
    Turns out I didn't have to uninstall after all, ...after three(3) restarts the conig did finally finish. So now to your next instructions. I'm tired and may not post any further findings until I finish following your suggestions.

Cheers!

Thank your for your feedback..

Please post back here with your progress or if you find a solution. It may help other users...
    GeorgeV

laozisailor Guest

After upgrading to ZA Pro v10, it has become an annoyance because it keeps deleting and adding the ZA toolbar to the registry:

...will carry on with the recommendations given and report back.

Cheers!

BTW, my primary browser is Firefox and just noticed (I need some sleep) this refers to IE, which is not the primary or ever will be browser.
    Last edited by laozisailor; July 28th, 2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: add additional info in the "BTW"

laozisailor Guest

This does not seem to available anymore?
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showpost...57&postcount=6

Your are Correct..

That link is from a Post over a year old.. April 2010

there have been many changes to both Zone Alarm and the removal cleanup tool in that length of time..

try this link..

Now Uninstall Zone Alarm using Windows Uninstall or on Windows 7 , Control Panel/Uninstal a program option.

Or (you can Download the ZA Removal Tool: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe
    GeorgeV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information