Thread: Virtual Memory Low with ZA 10 on Laptop with one GB ram

jmfs Guest

Default Virtual Memory Low with ZA 10 on Laptop with one GB ram

Recently update my wife to ZA 10 and she has had major issues with very slow response and a virtual memory is low notification. Her laptop is running XP home with 1 gig ram. I've set the computer to clear the page file upon logging off and this helps for awhile after reboot, but it then slows down. Not sure it is a ZA issue, but it is the only change and hence a bit suspicious. She runs antivirus/spyware religiously and no problems there. Any ideas?? Can I roll ZA back to 9 if I can not solve this problem?

Smile Re: Virtual Memory Low with ZA 10 on Laptop with one GB ram

Quote Originally Posted by jmfs View Post
    Recently update my wife to ZA 10 and she has had major issues with very slow response and a virtual memory is low notification. Her laptop is running XP home with 1 gig ram.

I've set the computer to clear the page file upon logging off and this helps for awhile after reboot, but it then slows down. Not sure it is a ZA issue, but it is the only change and hence a bit suspicious. She runs antivirus/spyware religiously and no problems there. Any ideas?? Can I roll ZA back to 9 if I can not solve this problem?
    Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

I think the Main problem is the limited available resources on your wifes Laptop with just one GB of memory, many other things can affect speed, the size and speed of the CPU, Hard drive, and how many other Programs and Windows utilities are running in the Back grown. this is especially true if Windows XP has not been updated to Service pack three (3) plus several Win XP critical updates after Service pack 3, with can also take up a lot of resouces..

=======================
    This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer and Software that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list Full details of your Computer:

It is normally Helpful when posting here to give full details of your computer setup.

Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version used, other security tools installed.

is this a First time install?
    Stopped working recently?
    any other issues?
    any Error messages in the ZA logs?
    and what the steps you took to reproduce the problem.

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; July 31st, 2011 at 12:40 AM. Reason: update
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jmfs Guest

Default Re: Virtual Memory Low with ZA 10 on Laptop with one GB ram

All MS updates have been installed as they have come out. My wife only uses the computer for email and surfing the net. She has spybot installed as well as malware bytes and i know spybot runs in the background. Her computer is an old pressario v6000 and has been sufficient for her until i updated ZA Extreme Security to version 10. I've ordered new ram which should come next week, so her computer will go from 1 to 2 gigs which is the max allowable. If this does not solve the issue can i turn off antispyware/virus and only turn it back on when i want to update and scan the computer without compromising security? Would this free up virtual memory and increase her computer's response time? Can i go back to the previous version since her computer did not have the same trouble until 10 was installed?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Virtual Memory Low with ZA 10 on Laptop with one GB ram

First you should try to remove SpybotS&D. With ZA installed it provides little if no addittional security (there are better security tools out there, SpybotSD is not anymore up to the job apart from removing armless cookies). Malwarebytes is more than enough for a second opinion to be used from time to time.

2GIG may be OK, it really depends on the available RAM after the completion of the boot of the system.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information