Thread: Upgrade problems ZAISS 9 to 10

tim_t Guest

Default Upgrade problems ZAISS 9 to 10

I bought a year's subscription and protection with ZoneAlarm Security Suite, version 9.3.037.000; I updated whenever I could since. Then a few days ago (late July) it told me a FREE update to version 10 was available, and though I found this a little confusing giving that I'd just paid over 50 for a year's subscription which I assumed covered me anyway, I duly updated to version 10.

There are now four reasons why I am considering going back to the old version 9.

1)Version 10 has increased my boot-up time from a fairly healthy 32 seconds, to a whopping 47-50 seconds. I have not added any more software or changed my configuration prior to installing it - ZoneAlarm isn't exactly quick when it comes to boot-up times and version 10 seems pretty bad.

2)I am a little annoyed by the fact that two features (PC Tune-up and DataLock Hard Drive Encryption) on this FREE update are NOT available to me; it quite clearly implies that I have to pay MORE to activate them. I think it's a little rich to expect people to pay extra for functions on a piece of software which they have already paid in advance for the full use of. If these are separate pieces of software, why not just remove them from the list of functions UNLESS the user has already indicated they have already bought them separately?

3)The integrated ZoneAlarm Safe Browsing toolbar is not compatible with Firefox 3.6.8. Oh, joy. I'm not updating just to accommodate ZoneAlarm; I'm happy with the way everything is at the moment.

4)The update process for the antivirus/spyware is ridiculously slow; it hasn't been successful since I updated to version 10. Even though I'm only on a 2.2mbps line and usually get 90% of that, updating was slow to the point of stalling. It's never been that great in other versions but this was noticeably slower. So much so that I had to stop the update and cancel.

My main general concern about ZoneAlarm is its effect on the boot-up time. Isn't there any way to improve it further? I have noticed an improvement of at least 10-15 seconds when it has been removed from my system and it just seems that with every new edition, the impact gets bigger.

Tim

The version I updated to:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 10.0.250.000
    vsmon version: 10.0.250.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1049404736
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.322.0

MY PC specs:

OS Name
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600

Processor
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)
    8.00 GB

Video card Description
    2X ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Video card RAM
    2x 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)

Default Re: Not happy with ZAISS 10

Sorry all users here dealing with common issues with a ZA product. Posts about how you are happy or unhappy about ZA are basically not for this board. Better to write directly to ZA staff or use the dedicate section called "Zonealarm product feedback".

1. Should be reduced or equal. Memory usage has improved as compared to version 9. Try to clean install if you have installed over the top. If you have done so then wait that ZA learns your system. Speed will improve during the first month of usage. Otherwise try to use MSCONFIG to identify possible conflicts.

2. They have never been included in ZASS. So they are not in ZASS 10 (only available in ZA Extreme). All interface across different versions is the same, unavailable features are greyed out according to the version used.

3. Never heard of users complaining about old software support, normally is the contrary Anyway, support for your FF version will end up soon (few months) and you will need to move on (version 5 and then 6). Its not a matter of preferences but a must for security reasons. Old versions are vulnerable to new exploits and will not be fixed. ZA10 support firefox 4 and 5 and sometime soon version 6.

4. Something wrong there. The update process was radically improved, it is now much faster and less resource intensive as compared to version 9. Only the first update may take a long time then its almost unnoticeable (here).

Relax, sit back and be sure to troubleshoot your issue directly with ZA technical support at the link in my signature. What you have described are actually not common in the last version and specifically been resolved. This points (IMO) to a corrupted install or a bad upgrade.

Good luck and be sure to report your issue to technical support. They do not monitor this board.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information