I bought a year's subscription and protection with ZoneAlarm Security Suite, version 9.3.037.000; I updated whenever I could since. Then a few days ago (late July) it told me a FREE update to version 10 was available, and though I found this a little confusing giving that I'd just paid over 50 for a year's subscription which I assumed covered me anyway, I duly updated to version 10.

There are now four reasons why I am considering going back to the old version 9.

1)Version 10 has increased my boot-up time from a fairly healthy 32 seconds, to a whopping 47-50 seconds. I have not added any more software or changed my configuration prior to installing it - ZoneAlarm isn't exactly quick when it comes to boot-up times and version 10 seems pretty bad.

2)I am a little annoyed by the fact that two features (PC Tune-up and DataLock Hard Drive Encryption) on this FREE update are NOT available to me; it quite clearly implies that I have to pay MORE to activate them. I think it's a little rich to expect people to pay extra for functions on a piece of software which they have already paid in advance for the full use of. If these are separate pieces of software, why not just remove them from the list of functions UNLESS the user has already indicated they have already bought them separately?

3)The integrated ZoneAlarm Safe Browsing toolbar is not compatible with Firefox 3.6.8. Oh, joy. I'm not updating just to accommodate ZoneAlarm; I'm happy with the way everything is at the moment.

4)The update process for the antivirus/spyware is ridiculously slow; it hasn't been successful since I updated to version 10. Even though I'm only on a 2.2mbps line and usually get 90% of that, updating was slow to the point of stalling. It's never been that great in other versions but this was noticeably slower. So much so that I had to stop the update and cancel.

My main general concern about ZoneAlarm is its effect on the boot-up time. Isn't there any way to improve it further? I have noticed an improvement of at least 10-15 seconds when it has been removed from my system and it just seems that with every new edition, the impact gets bigger.

Tim

The version I updated to:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 10.0.250.000
vsmon version: 10.0.250.000
Driver version: 10.0.217.000
Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1049404736
ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.322.0

MY PC specs:

OS Name
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)
8.00 GB

Video card Description
2X ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Video card RAM
2x 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)