Thread: ZA Extreme Security + Datalock crash while removing it + license and GUI issues.

CryptoKnight Guest

Angry ZA Extreme Security + Datalock crash while removing it + license and GUI issues.

Hi,

I renewed my annual license a while ago.

Although I previously used ZA Extreme Security + DataLock, I decided not to continue with DataLock, but rather to just purchase a new annual subscription for ZA Extreme (without DL). This simple desire of mine has resulted in *many* wasted hours of troubleshooting, and has eventually brought me to these forums, for the 1st time. Here's what happened:

1. At 1st I succesfully installed the new ver. of ZA Extreme, the new registration code was indeed accepted, and all seemed well.

Under "Hard Drive Encryption" I was notified that since DataLock was deactivated, a process of decription of my HDD has begun. This is what I wanted.

However...

2. Suddenly, my system started crashing in the worst possible way (black screen, total crash, no available crash dump).
    Only completely stopping the two relevent processes that have to do with DataLock's encryption (the two "Pointsec" processes) resulted in stoppoing these system crashes.

3. After my system was stable again, I unistalled ZA Extreme, with intent to fix possible errors in the previous instalation by reinstalling again from scratch.
    Since then and until now, I can't get ZA to work again...uninstalling & reinstalling just brings me to a situation where:

A. I can't open the ZA GUI by double clicking on the tray icon.
    The right-click "Show Monitor" menu option is greyed out.
    While hovering over the ZA tray icon I get a bubble stating that: "Initialization is in progress", but nothing ever happens, and I can't advance from this point.

B. from time to time I receive a notification that my brand new valid product license has expired, and the only option I have is to repurchase a new license again...it doesn't seem that there is a way for me to re-enter my current license again, since as stated above, I can't open the GUI at all.

Again, all this because I wanted to deactivate the DataLock service, and purchase ZA Extreme without it...!

Also -

If you were wondering what's the state of my previous DataLock - well, at 1st I still got the DataLock authentication screen after boot, but after several attempts to reinstall ZA, eventually the authentication was removed.

However...if I try to reinstall DataLock from a standalone file (believe it or not, but I even purchased a *new* copy of DL for $10, as part of my troubleshooting attempts to reinstall ZA Extreme!) I am notified that DataLock *is already installed*, and must be removed for a new installation to take place (needless to say that I can't remove it...).

So...

I spent $70 on a new license for ZA Extreme, and for a a new copy of DataLock (which I didn't need in the 1st place) - and neither of these two products work.

Your help is highly appreciated! )

Thanks a lot in advance for your time and efforts,

CryptoKnight

Angry Re: Severe Problems with ZA Extreme Security, after renewing license.

Hi!
    I guess your error was not to remove the encryption before moving to the license without it.

Considering the delicate situation (HD encryption) you will need to contact ZA technical support directly and explain in detail your problem (we are all users here). It is indeed free for licensed users. You find the link in my signature. Probably better during working week although they are online 24/7. Not sure I understand the remaining problem (license?), GUI no opening but I believe you need to fully remove ZAX and also run the ZA removal tool to clear out your license issues. Ensure you are NOT running any other security tool on the system.

Please follow up with technical support (live chat link in the ZA support page) on the steps you need to perform to solve the issue. Let us know, if you want, on the steps that you follow to resolve the issue. It may help other users in case they experience similar situations.

Revised the title to better hint to the issues you experience

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; August 15th, 2011 at 03:18 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

CryptoKnight Guest

Default Re: ZA Extreme Security + Datalock crash while removing it + license and GUI issues.

Hi, Fax!

1st, thanks a lot for your very quick reply.

2nd, I'm sorry, but I really don't think there was any error on my part, and I'll explain why:

Since I already had a licensed ver. of ZA Extreme + DataLock, DL was embedded within ZA (and not the Stand Alone ver.).

If I wish to stay with ZA Extreme, but ditch DL, it isn't clear to me as a user that I must 1st uninstall DL, and only afterwards install ZA Extreme without it. Furthermore, if this is the case - how come when I tried to install ZA Extreme without it, I wasn't warned by the installer in any way that DL must be 1st removed, and further-furthermore , how come at 1st there *was* indeed a notification within ZA Extreme that DL was deactivated, and therefore a process of decription has been initiated (this process failed, and from this point on all the current technical issues started)? The described process proves that according to ZoneAlarm itself I did no wrong.

3rd, I'll contact ZA technical support since as I said, ever since the two "Pointsec" processes crashed my system, I can't uninstall/reinstall my ZA Extreme, and my valid license is considered to be expired (which is definitely not the case - it's only several days old, and is 100% legal).

and finally -

You mentioned that there is a ZA Removal Tool - I'd be very glad to receive a link to it, since it currently doesn't appear in my ZA start menu folder, and the only way I currently have to uninstall ZA is via Windows' Control Panel/Uninstall Software.

(Btw, if it wasn't clear - I'm using Win7 Pro 32Bit).

Thanks for your help, I'll keep you updated,

CryptoKnight

Default Re: ZA Extreme Security + Datalock crash while removing it + license and GUI issues.

Hi!
    thank you for the follow-up explanations. As already mentioned you will need to contact the official support to sorted it out including eventually using a removal tool if they will suggest so.

Sorry we can't help you further here.

Thanks,
    Fax

CryptoKnight Guest

Unhappy Re: ZA Extreme Security + Datalock crash while removing it + license and GUI issues.

Just wanted to update that I requested, and received, a full refund for my two recent purchases of ZA Extreme, and DataLock...

The Helpdesk personell were very kind, tried to assist me as well as they could, and gave me no problems with my refund request. I have absolutely no complaints towards them (or towards this Forum).

As for the technical issues which I described in my previous two posts - they indeed still exist, and *couldn't* be repared through repeated un-installations and clean re-installs (including several attempts to use the clean.exe ZA Removal Tool).

Too bad, but that's life. Off to seek for better alternatives for me, from other vendors (and this, after several years of using ZA, and also several other Check Point products).

Thanks for listening,

CryptoKnight

Thank you very much for taking the time to report back about it. Sorry to hear you could not resolve the issue with ZA. Good luck with your seeking of an alternative solution. I am closing this thread since the issue does not apply anymore. Do not hesitate to PM me in case you need to re-open it.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information