Thread: ZA SS V10 and Windows System Restore

pokeefe Guest

Default ZA SS V10 and Windows System Restore

I have need to restore Windows to a previous system restore point. The restore failed with a message suggesting I disable any antivirus software. I turned off ZA and unchecked the load at startup option, but the restore still failed. People at the Windows7 forum suggested I completely uninstall ZA and try again. This seems a bit drastic, so, ...

1. Does ZA interfere with restoring a previous restore point?
    2. If so, is there some way of disabling the part of ZA that interferes?
    3. How do ZA users typically do system restores? (As if there is a "typical" system restore.)

Default Re: ZA SS V10 and Windows System Restore

Hi!

sorry we are all users here
    , If you have a valid ZA license

Please contact the ZA technical support at the Live Chat link in my Signature and troubleshoot the issue with them.

Please post back here if you find a solution. It may help other users...

Note:

Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version used, other security tools installed.

any Error messages in the ZA logs?
    and what the steps you took to reproduce the problem.

The More information you post the more likely Tech Support will be able to understand the issue and try to help.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

There are no known issue with System Restore and ZA nor components that blocks system restore. System Restore is simply not capable of restoring your security tool to a previous point. For your information, users have also reported issues trying to run system restore with ccleaner installed.

Common solution: Run system restore but in SAFE MODE. You may need to reinstall ZA after that.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

pokeefe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    There are no known issue with System Restore and ZA nor components that blocks system restore. System Restore is simply not capable of restoring your security tool to a previous point. For your information, users have also reported issues trying to run system restore with ccleaner installed.

Common solution: Run system restore but in SAFE MODE. You may need to reinstall ZA after that.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Thanks very much for your response. I'm relieved to hear that ZA is not known to block system restores, and that ccleaner might.

I have a follow-on question, though, that is going to expose my deep ignorance. I don't understand your comment about maybe needing to reinstall ZA after the the restore. Why would a system restore impact ZA at all? Does ZA make registry changes or modifications to Windows system files that might be undone by a system restore? I could sort of understand if a ZA install or major upgrade was done since the restore point was created (I assume ZA sets hooks that could get backed out.). Assuming that has not been done, can ZA still be damaged by a system restore?

No, simply that the system restore may not able to restore ZA to a previous state and could corrupting it. If after a restore you don't see the Z icon in the system tray than thats the case

I am running 64 bit windows 7 and have the Pro firewall+anti-virus version 12. In order for me to use the Windows system restore (restoring HD to a previous ponit in time), I have to un-install Zone Alarm first then after the system restore has completed, I need to re-install ZA. Is there a work around or is this the norm?

You can run system restore booting your PC in SAFE MODE or uncheck in ZA preferences the loading at boot, restart and only then perform a restore. Due the way it is designed, System Restore will anyway break ZA. So, you will need to reinstall ZA after performing a system restore.

That is exactly what is reported above. This is not an issue with ZA but with system restore and it's design limitation. Please read posts before replying.

Thanks,
    fax
    Last edited by fax; December 19th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dant View Post
    I am running 64 bit windows 7 and have the Pro firewall+anti-virus version 12. In order for me to use the Windows system restore (restoring HD to a previous ponit in time), I have to un-install Zone Alarm first then after the system restore has completed, I need to re-install ZA. Is there a work around or is this the norm?
    I do full image backups to external drive.When I get in trouble I restore image.Not everybody has this capability.So many depend on System Restore.

I have tested ZonwAlarm install to see what affect it would have with System Restore.

Here on Win 7/64.You need to run System Restore in Safe Mode.ZoneAlarm will not load in Safe Mode.So nothing to disable in settings.

Click Scan for affected programs.You can see exactly what programs will be affected when your PC is restored.ZoneAlarm did not show as affected.

No issues with the Restore and ZoneAlarm breaking when I tested that I could see.

You might want to try this route.You're call.

Note: Just suggestion.External drives not very expensive.You can use Win 7 built-in system image backup to external drive.No bell & whisles, but does a good job for full image backups.I tested it and worked well for free.

Have limited net access.So might not come back.OK, have to go.
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; December 20th, 2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: note,typo,rephrase

Thread Information