Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vsmon.exe & utorrent 2.1 eating cpu time

webcan Guest

Question vsmon.exe & utorrent 2.1 eating cpu time

HI! I have noticed that since this version of Zonealarm( 10,0,250,000) and its predecessor that when utorrent is activated that vsmon slowly starts eating up cpu time to a point where computer gets nearly unresponsive and clicking on utorrent icon in the system tray is useless as it becomes unresponsive to the point where I must use the task manager to forcefully closed the utorrent.exe program.

I have tried some suggestions but to no avail.

1:Re-installed utorrent
    2: upgraded zonealarm to 10.0.250.000
    2: added a line in the registry to include W3SVC to the end of the list under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\vsmon.

I have also noticed that I am not the only one with this issue, so I am posting this to see if anyone else has found a solution and or to add that the other poster is not the only one with the same issue.

Windows XP Pro SP3
    Zonealarm( 10,0,250,000)

Paul
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 19th, 2011 at 04:18 PM.

Default Re: vsmon.exe & utorrent eating cpu time.

Sorry all users here.

Read this KB:
    ZoneAlarm is using a lot of CPU or memory resources
    (it involves resetting ZA setting and other suggestions)

Try to boot your system only with ZA and standard MS programs to exclude third party conflicts. This way:

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box (or search box in VISTA) and click OK (ENTER in VISTA)
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except zatray.exe
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.

Remember to report the issue to ZA technical support at the link in my signature, they do NOT monitor this board. More reports received more likely they will look into it. NO report NO fix

Finally review this message and thread.
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showpost...26&postcount=6

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; August 17th, 2011 at 10:38 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mikebrice Guest

Angry Re: vsmon.exe & utorrent eating cpu time.

~~snip~~

I follow the provided link and I am taken to a page where I can find no opportunity to describe my problem. All I can see are links to prepared responses to other issues. How do I describe my problem with excessive the CPU usage of vsmon.exe to a technical support service ? I would really like to know.
    Last edited by fax; August 17th, 2011 at 04:04 AM. Reason: offtopic

Quote Originally Posted by mikebrice View Post
    I have tried to open a thread on the exact same subject but it was immediately closed. It appears that my language offended the moderator. In the response from Checkpoint we are encouraged to raise an issue with Technical support. I would love to do that. I follow the provided link and I am taken to a page where I can find no opportunity to describe my problem. All I can see are links to prepared responses to other issues. How do I describe my problem with excessive the CPU usage of vsmon.exe to a technical support service ? I would really like to know.

Hi;

you may Click on the Support link in my Signature or click https://support.zonealarm.com

At that page click on the Live Chat icon in the upper right.

At the sign-on interface please provide all the "Required information". in optional information select the "Product version."
    now Click Start..
    I hope this helps. Good luck.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 17th, 2011 at 04:23 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

On top right of the ZA support page you will see a big sign with a title that reads "24/7 Chat Live" , click on it to contact the "technical support".

Please use this thread only to report solutions that will help OP to resolve the problem (other than removing ZA) while report the exact details on how to replicate the issue directly to ZA technical support, not here. Any further offtopic posts will be removed.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Fax

webcan Guest

Hi I booted my system up with only ZA and standard MS programs.
    after I booted up I started utorrent.exe and Firefox with one tab open and waited.

After about 1-2 hours vsmon.exe had reached a constant 50% of CPU usage. ( it was between 5 - 12 % at first.

Using process explorer at PID 1952 I see vsmon.exe - cpu 50%, private bytes at "131.891"K working set at "43,590" and description at "TrueVector service"

MODERATOR. The way that you phrased your last post I am not sure if you were asking me to only report back to tech support and not this board or if you were referring to others because keep each incident separate and with its solution.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by webcan View Post
    After about 1-2 hours vsmon.exe had reached a constant 50% of CPU usage.
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showpost...26&postcount=6

Quote Originally Posted by Forum-Moderator View Post
    Running applications that keep a constant internet connection open will create extra cycles to be used for ZA. Your basically constantly pushing data through ZA that it has to analyze so there will be more resources used and 50% and more is not unusual with these types of applications.

Its always been this way with ZA its just how the ZA core technology works and it nothing that can be changed or fixed because its working as designed.

Best advise don't run these kinds of apps all the time.

Forum Moderator
    So, what you are reporting is considered normal. There is nothing that can be addressed by support . If your case is different from what already descibed by ZA Moderator then follow up directly with official ZA support. Once again, posting here the details of the issue will not help ZA to fix eventual problems.

Please also consider that the CPU usage will also depend on the amount of running applications at the time, the CPU power, the available RAM, the OS settings. So depending on the system used you may have higher of lower CPU usage.

As already mentioned please post here if you manage to resolve the issue, this will greatly help other user with similar problems and will keep this thread clean for other users to read.
    Last edited by fax; August 18th, 2011 at 01:45 AM.

webcan Guest

HI! Thank you for the replies. I am speaking to tech support and got some things to try out. I will report back any solutions here.

At the moment tech support ask me to turn off "Web Security" to see if the issue is somehow related to settings in there.

Suggestion. It would be nice if there were a way to make an option to tell ZoneAlarm to ignore checking data coming from a specific application or when the data was requested by an specific application?

Not only could this save system resources it also prove to be a good troubleshooting tool.

Paul

webcan Guest

Cool Re: vsmon.exe & utorrent eating cpu time. SOLVED

HI! There is an issue with utorrent 2.21 and ZoneAlarm 10.0.250.00 and its predecessor.
    As we ( The tech and I ) narrowed things down he decided to check it out for himself on a terminal that had utorrent and the problem appeared there too as his vsmon.exe was unusually high as well (according to him-"Yes, I see, vsmon.exe has an usually high cpu usage for me too").

So he upgraded from utorrent 2.21 to 3.0 and the symptoms went away.

I had upgraded too but for reason my upgrade never went through and stayed at 2.21 so I cleaned the registry with IOLO System Mechanic and rebooted, then re-upgraded utorrent to 3.0 and now all is normal with my system as well. vsmon.exe 3.0 is now running around 20% on average and is normal according to the tech as this is what he was getting as well. I was downloading 8 files and up 1 on a P4 dual core , 300mz with 2 gigs ram.

NOTE: If you need to clean you registry and do not have system mechanic you can use ccleaner. (Its free and well known as an efficient registry cleaner).
    http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

SOLUTION:

Step 1: Make sure utorrent is closed. ( if its open, shut it down using task manager if necessary ).
    Step 2: Upgrade utorrent to 3.0.
    Step 3: Reboot system.

NOTE: If upgrade does not work and utorrent still reports 2.21 then do step 1: then use registry cleaner or uninstall utorrent. THEN REBOOT, then proceed to step 1:, 2:, and 3.

Paul

webcan Guest

Default Re: vsmon.exe & utorrent 2.1 eating cpu time. --> NOT RESOLVED. DELAY.

well, it appears that there is now a delay with the upgrade of 3.0 ( or at least for me and possibly the tech). Even though I posted to tech support that the issue was resolved I still received an email from him. "If you are still experiencing the issue with uTorrent after installing version 3 please follow the steps below "

I checked utorrent to see if things were alright ( a few hours later ) and CPU is back to a steady 50%. I did upgrade my video card as it was malfunctioning and now has greater memory and a better processor. ( This may have something to do with the delay on my side ).

NOTE: To moderator. please delete my last post with the solution as it is not a solution to this issue.

Sorry for jumping the gun on this matter.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information