Thread: Difference between "Web Security" and Forcefield?

Default Difference between "Web Security" and Forcefield?

I'm using ZoneAlarm Security Suite 10.0.250.0 and Firefox. I accidentally upgraded my Firefox 5 to Firefox 6 and now I can't connect to the internet with it. I'm guessing that ZASS is locking me out because it doesn't yet support FF 6. So I'll use IE 9 for browsing until ZASS is upgraded hopefully next month.

But I'm confused, because ZASS tells me that Web Security is ON, and I opened up FF 6 briefly and I see that the "Zone Alarm Security Engine 1.5.325.0" add-on IS enabled.

So I'm not sure what's going on. I'm not sure of the relationship between Web Security, ForeceField, and Browser Virtualization. I don't have the Browser Virtualization component of ZA, and I think I don't have ForceField (and to tell the truth I'm not sure what it is as I'm a ZoneAlarm old-timer and I don't remember it from the old days). If the ZA Security Engine add-on is enabled in FF 6, what about ZA exactly is not yet supported for FF 6?

Thanks for any help in understanding all of this.
    Last edited by rickola; August 26th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.

Default Re: Difference between "Web Security" and Forcefield?

Quote Originally Posted by rickola View Post
    I'm using ZoneAlarm Security Suite 10.0.250.0 and Firefox. I accidentally upgraded my Firefox 5 to Firefox 6 and now I can't connect to the internet with it. I'm guessing that ZASS is locking me out because it doesn't yet support FF 6. So I'll use IE 9 for browsing until ZASS is upgraded hopefully next month.

But I'm confused, because ZASS tells me that Web Security is ON, and I opened up FF 6 briefly and I see that the Zone Alarm Security Engine 1.5.325.0 add-on IS enabled.

So I'm not sure what's going on. I'm not sure of the relationship between Web Security, ForeceField, and Browser Virtualization. I don't have the Browser Virtualization component of ZA, and I think I don't have ForceField (and to tell the truth I'm not sure what it is as I'm a ZoneAlarm old-timer and I don't remember it from the old days). If the ZA Security Engine add-on is enabled in FF 6, what about ZA exactly is not yet supported for FF 6?

Thanks for any help in understanding all of this.

Sorry, as Stated numerious times in Sticky post That ZA 10.0.250.000 Supports FireFox 5, and is not compatible with FireFox 6 or the new FireFox 7 BETA, yet..

Please read the Forum Moderators Reply in this same Thread..

We will be compatible with Firefox 6. But don't know what the ETA will be yet.

Sorry cant give any specific date yet.

We try our best to be ready as soon as possible when a new browser becomes available.

We have no plans at all for Chrome, Opera or Safari compatibility with Web Security features (Forcefield) Just IE and Firefox.

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 26th, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Right, I thought it was clear in my message that I knew that.

I was asking about some other things.

Quote Originally Posted by rickola View Post
    Right, I thought it was clear in my message that I knew that.

I was asking about some other things.
    In that case, it would be better for you to start a New Thread and make the Title Fit the new Question..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

I thought I did that. It seems my title exactly fits my questions. If I'm not understanding some of the protocols on this user forum, can you tell me what I should do at this point in order to get some help with my queries? Thank you.
    Last edited by rickola; August 26th, 2011 at 04:19 PM.

FYI

Upgrading to Firefox 6 will not make the browser not work.

Just the tool bar (Conduit tool bar) and the web security options that appear in that tool bar will not function)

Browsing the web works. We know it works 100% fine except the above.

Sounds like your issue is more about the Firefox 6 update that didn't work.

We are just starting to roll out the update for the Conduite tool bar and the web security features that are Firefox 6 compatible. They are tow updates and from separate companies. One from ZA and one from Conduit.

Sorry there no separate installer for those components.

Thanks much. I discovered why Firefox 6 was not connecting to the internet (returning "Problem loading page" errors): after doing the update to FF 6, ZoneAlarm didn't recognize the new FF 6 version automatically in Application Control; it was allowing FF 5 but not FF 6. So I added FF 6 manually (ZA's Computer tab > click on the link beneath "Application Control" (xxx programs secured), then click the Add button and I added FF 6 and now it's fine).

I think what I'm still unclear about is what exactly would be the consequences of using FF 6 with the current version on ZA. Does it mean I'd be browsing the web entirely without Zone Alarm protection? I'm not familiar with the Conduit tool bar so I don't know what it means if the web security options on it won't function. Is web security something separate from Zone Alarm protection of web browsing?

Appreciate your help; many of these terms are unfamiliar to me.
    Last edited by rickola; August 27th, 2011 at 04:33 AM.

Thread Information