Thread: Why Internet Access During Install?=> Windows firewall reactivates when ZA is removed

Hybrid View

jclarkw Guest

Question Why Internet Access During Install?=> Windows firewall reactivates when ZA is removed

Does anyone here have any insight into this old question that CheckPoint STILL has not addressed in its latest (10.0) version?

Right at the beginning of the installation (when no firewall whatever is presumably active) they tell you to make sure you have Internet access or the installation might not complete successfully. I have always (and still do) ignore this advice and proceeded with the installation with my ethernet cable unplugged, but...

Why to they tell you to do this if it's NOTsafe?

and

If a firewall IS active during the install, what is it and why don't they say so?

Finally

What do they think the might want to download during the installation anyhow?

(I'm running XP SP3 and have always had the Windows firewall turned off because I've always used ZAP/ZAES.)

Default Re: Why Internet Access During Install???

Hi!

sorry we are all users here
    , If you have a valid ZA license

Please click on the Support link in my Signature then click on the LIVE CHAT Link at the top Right side of the SUPPORT page and troubleshoot the issue with Technical Support.

Please post back here if you find a solution. It may help other users...

Note:

Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version used, other security tools installed.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jclarkw Guest

Default Re: Why Internet Access During Install???

>>Please post back here if you find a solution.<<

Below is quoted part of my 'Chat' session on the subject with Tech Support:

13:57 jclarkw: Installer wants Internet access immediately; after uninstall of previous version I presume NO FIREWALL is active. Am I protected during install? If so, how? Are specific actions required for protection? (XP SP3) -- Long-Time User
    13:59 Kelly U.: Correct, if the previous version was uninstalled, our firewall is not active. However, the Windows firewall reactivates when we are not installed, and will give you adequate protection while you reinstall. As long as you aren't browsing to unfamiliar websites and downloading files while the firewall is uninstalled, you will be fine during the reinstall.

Indeed I verified that, after uninstall, the Windows Firewall WAS activated. It remained activated until the re-boot to complete installation. So I guess the process really is fairly safe!

Thread Information