Thread: Windows Firewall On?

zonealarmalexs Guest

Default Windows Firewall On?

Hi

On two PC's I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and ZA 10.0.250.000 Extreme.

Both have the setting "Disable Windows Firewall" ticked within ZA, yet for both PC's the Windows Firewall is running in services snap-in.

Is this a ZoneAlarm bug? I guess I need to set the Windows Firewall Service to Manual rather than automatic.... would you not agree?

Thanks

Alex

p.s.

I notice something similar with having browser virtualization, web security and anti-spam turned off , and yet ZoneAlarm Forcefield IswSvc Windows Service is still running?
    Also when I deselect ZoneAlarm toolbar upon installation it still insists on installing it.
    (NB in all cases reboots happened).

Cheers...
    Last edited by zonealarmalexs; September 11th, 2011 at 02:07 PM.

Default Re: Windows Firewall On?

Hi!

what you describe is per design except for the toolbar. I would recommend you contact ZA technical support and troubleshoot the latter issue.

Unless you have already tried I would advise to remove ZA and then run the ZA removal tool (clean.exe). This may or may not fix the toolbar issue (i.e. the toolbar running even if not installed).

The link to support is in my signature. Look for the live chat link at the ZA support page.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zonealarmalexs Guest

Hi

Many thanks for the quick response!

a) I've deselected ZoneAlarm toolbar on multiple-clean installs, on different PC's, and it keeps installing so I assume it's an ongoing issue bug that should be listed in your known bug list. It's not a big issue as I can happily get rid of it later.

b) Are you really suggesting that Windows 7 Firewall should be on with ZoneAlarm firewall?
    i.e. If you tell ZoneAlarm to disable Windows firewall, that Windows firewall should be on by design? That's not making much sense to me , and surely running two firewalls will conflict with each other... or at least drain your resources?

c) As far as forcefield Window service is concerned, I suspect that's a product limitation right now, i.e. the service must run all the times even if you have forcefield disabled (others have reported it on these very forums I see). I assume you are unable to stop this service yourself? (I am unable to, nor are others it seems).

a) this was fixed in latest build, its not normal you still experiencing it.

b) the service is ON, the firewall is OFF

c) haven't checked the full variations (of ON/OFF) but as already mentioned, its by design.
    Last edited by fax; September 12th, 2011 at 07:16 AM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

zonealarmalexs Guest

Thanks.

So (a) has been tested on Windows 7 64 bit platforms? Hope this has been tested with upgrade scenarios as well..
    Like I say install after install this happens.

Cheers and thanks...
    Last edited by zonealarmalexs; September 12th, 2011 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zonealarmalexs View Post
    Thanks.

So (a) has been tested on Windows 7 64 bit platforms? Hope this has been tested with upgrade scenarios as well..
    Like I say install after install this happens.

Cheers and thanks...
    Yes it has been tested on both 32bit and 64bit..

ZA Extreme 10.0.250 works fine except for the Tool-bar on my Windows 7 64 bit computer..

As Guru Fax has already advised, Please continue Followup with the official ZA Tech Support..

Please click on the Support link in my Signature then click on the LIVE CHAT Link at the top Right side of the SUPPORT page and troubleshoot the issue with Technical Support, they may ask you to submit your ZA log files.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

zonealarmalexs Guest

Confused:

I wrote:

a) I've deselected ZoneAlarm toolbar on multiple-clean installs, on different PC's, and it keeps installing so I assume it's an ongoing issue bug that should be listed in your known bug list. It's not a big issue as I can happily get rid of it later.

Fax wrote:

> a) this was fixed in latest build, its not normal you still experiencing it.

Guru wrote:

> ZA Extreme 10.0.250 works fine except for the Tool-bar on my Windows 7 64 bit computer..

Now I'm confused, you are confirming the toolbar installation bug I am perceiving or are we saying after it is installed the toolbar does not work well?

Thanks for the reply!

Smile Re: Windows Firewall On?

Confused:

I wrote:

This is part of your Confusion..

Both Guru Fax and myself have advised you to "troubleshoot the issue with Technical Support."

[QUOTE]
    We are ALL Users here in this User Forum, ZA Tech Support Staff does not Monitor or Read this User Forum,

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..[/QUOTE]

2.)

[QUOTE=zonealarmalexs;290680]
    Fax wrote:

> a) this was fixed in latest build, its not normal you still experiencing it.

Guru wrote:

> ZA Extreme 10.0.250 works fine except for the Tool-bar on my Windows 7 64 bit computer..

QUOTE]

You may need to Re Read Fax post to determine what he was referring to?

3.)

Now I'm confused, you are confirming the toolbar installation bug I am perceiving or are we saying after it is installed the toolbar does not work well?

Thanks for the reply!
    As for the Tool-bar;

this is not a wide spread problem..

in my case I have Windows 7 64-bit OS, Plus 64-bit IE 9 Browser and 64-bit MS Outlook 2010..

When first installed, ZA Extreme 10.0.250.000 Tool-bars install OK and function OK for a few days.. but then on my 64-bit computer, both the ZA Browser Tool-bar and ZA Tool-bar on Outlook 2010 64-bit dis-appear..

I have contacted Tech Support and Submited my Diagnostic Logs to Tech Support..

As User here in this Forum,
    It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer and Software that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Please click on the Support link in my Signature then click on the LIVE CHAT Link at the top Right side of the SUPPORT page and troubleshoot the issue with Technical Support.

Please post back here if you find a solution. It may help other users...
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 12th, 2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: updated
    GeorgeV

zonealarmalexs Guest

~~Snip~~

this is now clear.

As for the other comments, sorry I don't think I was demanding anything, esp support, if you reread, I just needed clarification about the toolbar (and before that Windows firewall)... which I got without contacting support (which would have probably confused matters further). I'm not sure why this needs to be repeated.

Thankyou and much appreciated (I am no longer confused).
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 12th, 2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Sorry Offtopic chatter removed for clarification.

Smile Re: Windows Firewall On?

Thank you for your feedback..

I will now Close this Thread since you are no longer confused..

You may "PM" me if you contact Tech Support and resolve your issue and wish to comment on your findings from Tech support..

If you have another Issue.. please start a New Thread in the appropriate Forum area for that issue..

Thanks..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 12th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
    GeorgeV

Thread Information