Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewall not blocking

trevorthomas Guest

Unhappy Firewall not blocking

I am running two computers networked behind an Orange Livebox.

Computer 1 is running Windows7 Ultimate 32 bit and IE9 and ZAP 10.0.246
    Computer 2 is running Windows7 Home premium 64 bit and IE9 32bit and ZAP 10.0.250

On computer 1 Zone alarm blocks GRCs LeakTest, but does not block PCFlankLeakTest. (it does flag up PCFlank Leak test trying to open my browser for the results)

On computer 2 Zone alarm does not block either GRCs LeakTest or PCFlankLeakTest

Both ZAPs are running with the default setup. I re- installed ZAP on computer 2 this morning.

Any comments please.

Default Re: Firewall not blocking

PCFlankLeakTest is ignored per design. It was regarded as irrelevant by developers. There is a post by the user Oldsod on it on how to make it a pass (i.e. change permission to svchost and the browser) but pretty useless to do.

For the second issue (GRCs LeakTest) I can't try it here since I have no system on 64bit. Double check in ZA application control that you are not in AUTO mode but MAX and that you don't have the GRC entry in the ZA list of programs been allowed. Also check that GRCs leaktest is 64bit compatible, it may not work at all and give wrong results.

If you have still problem then please report the issue directly to ZA staff (all users here) at their technical support live chat. The link is in my signature.

Thanks!
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 12th, 2011 at 09:53 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

trevorthomas Guest

Thanks for the reply, and sorry about the delay in returning your post. I'll have a check of the things that you asked me to tomorrow. It's now past my bed time. You have to get beauty sleep when you're 70 :-)

Smile Re: Firewall not blocking

Quote Originally Posted by trevorthomas View Post
    Thanks for the reply, and sorry about the delay in returning your post. I'll have a check of the things that you asked me to tomorrow. It's now past my bed time. You have to get beauty sleep when you're 70 :-)
    GRC Leak Test worked just fine on my Windows 7 64-bit Computer and ZA Extreme Security 10.0.250 and passed the Test by Blocking Leak Test..

Last edited by GeorgeV; September 14th, 2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: fix typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

trevorthomas Guest

@ GeorgeV
    GRC Leaktest.
    Thanks for your reply. I have just re-checked on my 64 bit machine. It has Leaktest in the Programs page of ZA and it is set to ask, ask, deny, deny. It still penetrates ZAP, pinging the GRC website without asking. I set AUTO/HIGH to HIGH but it still goes through.

On my 32 bit machine, it is set to ask, deny,deny, deny. When run, ZAP pops up and asks OK

@Fax
    Had a bit more time to analyse your reply.
    What you seem to be telling me is that ZA developers deliberately allow PCFlank to penetrate. Is this the case, and why would thay do that to give the user (me) a sense of insecurity as ZA fails to block it?
    Re your Leaktest answer.
    I have set the AUTO/High to High, and ZA still does not warn of LT accessing the Net.
    If you are indicating that LT is not 64bit compatible, how can I expect any non-64bit trojans to be blocked by ZA.

Both teats failing on the 64bit machine does not exactly inspire confidence in ZAP, whether by design or accident.
    And as a by the by, when I hit the 'Update' button on my 32bit machine running ZAP 10.0.246 It tells me that 'Product is up to date' but the latest is 10.0.250. Another reason for my feeling of insecurity

trevorthomas Guest

@ GeorgeV
    I just tried leaktest again on my 64bit, and it did not alert. I have checked the program control and its set to ask,deny,deny,deny. (It did alert on my 32bit machine with the same settings)

@Fax.
    I have had a bit more time to analyse your answer and respond.
    You said that PCFlank is ignored by design. Why would ZA developers do that?
    The implication that I draw about your comments about 64bit Leaktest is that any old 32bit trojan will pass through ZA. Why would they alow that?
    I used to have confidence in ZA blocking internet access without my permission, but now that ZA has failled two firewall tests on my 64bit machine and one on my 32 bit machine, I am much less confident about it now.

PCFlank fails to alert on either machine when accessing the internet and the program settings for it are ask, ask, ask, ask

There must be something wrong at your end since here the test is blocked both in 32bit and 64bit. Try to remove the GRC entry from the program list and test it again. It should not take any previous settings, turn OFF also the smartdefence advisor to be sure determination as safe is not taken on the central database.

PCflank by design is not blocked. The leak has been regarded as irrelevant by development. Blocking it could be done for the sake of passing the test (false sense of security), this has not been the line taken by development.

@ GeorgeV
    I just tried leaktest again on my 64bit, and it did not alert. I have checked the program control and its set to ask,deny,deny,deny. (It did alert on my 32bit machine with the same settings)

@Fax.

PCFlank fails to alert on either machine when accessing the internet and the program settings for it are ask, ask, ask, ask
    Hi;

Thank you for your Feedback..

I agree with Guru Fax,

Try to remove the GRC entry from the ZA program control list and run Leaktest it again. and click on Deny when the Popup apears.

as I recall reading the Instructions on GRC.COM, that you should not have "LEAKTEST " listed in your Program control "AT ALL", when running the GRC LeakTest program..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

trevorthomas Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Try to remove the GRC entry from the ZA program control list and run Leaktest it again. and click on Deny when the Popup apears.

as I recall reading the Instructions on GRC.COM, that you should not have "LEAKTEST " listed in your Program control "AT ALL", when running the GRC LeakTest program..
    Yes, I've done that deleting LT from program control a couple of times. It reappears in the list when I run it, but ZA does NOT pop up on my 64bit lappy.
    On my 32 bit machine, delete the entry, run leaktest, get popup, chose deny, leaktest fails to connect. Run LT again, no popup (as you would possibly expect), LT fails to connect (as you would expect) so no problem there then. On my 64 bit lappy: Delete LT from program control, run LT, Firewall penetrated, No Popup from ZA, LT reappears in prog ctrl as expected.

@Fax.
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax
    turn OFF also the smartdefence advisor to be sure determination as safe is not taken on the central database.
    '
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax
    PCflank by design is not blocked. The leak has been regarded as irrelevant by development. Blocking it could be done for the sake of passing the test (false sense of security), this has not been the line taken by development.
    But allowing it through 'by dsign' is one of the things that's causing my doubts as to whether ZA is working properly on my 64bit lappy. :-( Not now because you have told me different, but when two firewall checkers bypass the firewall, it makes you doubtfull.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean

Sorry I meant turning OFF the DefenseNet in application control.

Its time you report the issue to the ZA official technical since they do not monitor this board (we are all users here) and hope they can replicate the issue so to escalate the problem to development team. If they can't its probably something related to specific local conditions.

The link to main support site is in my signature. Look for the live chat icon.

Please update us on any new development. It may help other users having the same problem.

Thanks,
    Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information