Thread: [SOLVED] VSMON.EXE High CPU Consumption

sysbey Guest

Cool [SOLVED] VSMON.EXE High CPU Consumption

I have this problem on all my 3 PC's, running XP professional and one XP home.
    Clean uninstall and new install solve the problem for about one week.
    I try a "reset to default" and change only some setting eg. "drive to check" and my "Zonealarm extreme Seccurity Version 10.1.056.000" is running perfect for more than on week.

Checking my old setting against the default settings now gives no results. I assume that internal settings (not available through the userinterface) are the problem.

I hope other users having the same error try the same and give some results at this thread.

Rgds. Klaus from Germany

Default Re: VSMON.EXE High CPU Consumption

Thank you for your input. Please note that we are at ZA 10.1.065.000. Download link to latest version is here: Looking for the latest version?

What I could guess for your case is that your ZA setting get corrupted on the way. This can be normally caused by accidental crash/hang of the system, forced or incorrect shutdown, software conflicts (imparing savings), registry permissions, etc. Plenty of possibilities... If this is the case you will be having, before or later, the same problem.

Another possibility is linked to your one week. After one week ZA will start its quick antivirus scan. Vsmon apart from being the main firewall filtering component is also the main antivirus scanning driver. Due to a bug up in build 056 (should be fixed in 065) the quick scan will happen at every boot (after one week). This will cause a natural peak of CPU on vsmon due to the scanning performed.

I am moving this post to its own thread to increase visibility.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; November 19th, 2011 at 05:11 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: VSMON.EXE High CPU Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Due to a bug up in build 056 (should be fixed in 065) the quick scan will happen at every boot (after one week). This will cause a natural peak of CPU on vsmon due to the scanning performed.
    not fixed, anyway IMHO it is better so i.e. to get a quick scan each boot

Thread Information