Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Changing ZAPRO from auto learn to max --> Updated to 10.1.065.000

Default [SOLVED] Changing ZAPRO from auto learn to max --> Updated to 10.1.065.000

ZoneAlarm Pro version: 10.0.250.000
    vsmon version: 10.0.250.000
    Driver version: 10.0.250.000
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.322.0
    XP SP3

I cleaned and reinstalled my ZAPRO, and a few days later I changed Application Monitor setting from Auto (auto learn) to Max, but it works as in auto learn mode - no asking to give permission.
    SmartDefense Advisor is set to Automatic.
    For example, I use a file commander program (FCW.EXE), and in the log there is one OSFW UNKNOWN and one OSFW ALLOWED SPAWNPROCESS lines every time the program (FCW) starts another program.
    I have to add manually the Super trust level to avoid these lines, because ZA doesn't ask and set properties as before (ZAPRO 9, ...).
    I see this for all programs not known for ZA (defensenet), where a permission is needed.
    Do I have to wait the 21 days ?
    Or a bad setting is causing this?

Default Re: Changing ZAPRO from auto learn to max

Normally it should, tried it here and it works. Go to application control, remove the entry, now try to run the program and it should ask (suspicious behavior pop-up). Try to repeat the process more than once if you don't get the pop-up.

If even after this you still don't get it then please contact the ZA technical support. They may be a problem related to corrupted ZA settings or ZA bug.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Normally it should, tried it here and it works. Go to application control, remove the entry, now try to run the program and it should ask (suspicious behavior pop-up). Try to repeat the process more than once if you don't get the pop-up.
    I did this, but no change.

If even after this you still don't get it then please contact the ZA technical support. They may be a problem related to corrupted ZA settings or ZA bug.

Thanks,
    Fax
    I have very new settings after clean install, I think I rather wait 2 weeks for the 21 days, I'll see what happens then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hopalong View Post
    I have very new settings after clean install, I think I rather wait 2 weeks for the 21 days, I'll see what happens then.
    I think the new version has no 21 days autoshift to MAX, you need to move it manually. A test you could do is to install fresh and then move to MAX just after install and before running any program. There may be issues of ZA somehow remembering the settings even if you remove the entry.

I think the new version has no 21 days autoshift to MAX, you need to move it manually. A test you could do is to install fresh and then move to MAX just after install and before running any program. There may be issues of ZA somehow remembering the settings even if you remove the entry.
    I cleaned and installed without any success. Maybe it doesn't like avg 10 (2011) free ???

Finally I restored my settings saved before the reinstall.

The current help says the following:

Understanding Auto-Learn

Auto is the default setting for the first 21 days of using ZoneAlarm security software. ZoneAlarm security software observes and tracks which safe programs you use regularly, so that you are not interrupted with alerts about these programs. After this self-learning period, a message appears asking you whether you would like to continue in Auto learning mode or move application monitor level to Max so that you have maximum outbound protection.

But as I read the help, I think it doesn't relates to version 10, it speaks for example about access and server permissions, in ZAPRO the terms are Outbound and Inbound permissions now.

Yes, help files seems not updated and linked to version 9. Better to report the issue to technical support to be properly troubleshooted, logged and eventually escalated to development team.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thanks, I will see.

Because there was no change after clean installing ZoneAlarm Pro version: 10.1.056.000,
    I contacted the support. Finally I run ZoneAlarm Diagnostics Tool, uploaded collected data.
    At end I got an email from the supporter containing:
    I have forwarded the information to our development team regarding the issue. If more information is needed we will contact you but otherwise if the issue is found to be a bug it should be resolved in a future release.

Thank you for the new information, keep us updated.

No change in 10.1.065.000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information