Thread: [SOLVED] ZA control center freezes

RoHe Guest

Default [SOLVED] ZA control center freezes

XP SP3, fully up-to-date
    ZA free firewall version: 9.2.106.000
    TrueVector version: 9.2.106.000; Driver version: 9.2.035.000
    Microsoft Security Essentials

ZA control center has been randomly freezing in last couple of weeks. Double-clicking the icon in the system tray does nothing; right-clicking the icon doesn't give a context menu; red/green traffic bars freeze too.

Firewall itself seems to be working even when the control center is frozen because ShieldsUp!! (grc.com) shows all ports are in "stealth" mode.

Even after ZA control center freezes, everything else works without any issues. Only fix for ZA is to reboot which usually brings up a box saying ZA won't shut down, but clicking "End Now" button causes a total freeze requiring a cold boot.

All malware scans are clean.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Ron

RoHe Guest

Default Re: ZA control center freezes

Things are getting worse.

When I boot up (XP SP3) the ZA tray icon would say "Protection up, UI initializing". But it never initializes.

So I uninstalled ZA, rebooted and reinstalled 9.2.106.00. Now when ZA loads, a box pops up saying New Network Detected, with the option to choose either Internet or Trusted Zone. And it freezes there. Can't change the selection and the hourglass appears endlessly. When I click the X to close the box, ZA crashes and the firewall stops.

System is free of malware, fully updated and otherwise working correctly. Hard drive is defragged, and no errors reported by chkdsk. >70 GB free space.

Have uninstalled ZA again and reverted to Windows firewall...

Any suggestions?

I would search this board for potential solutions like:
    [Solved] Protection is up, UI is initializing --> Disable Windows Defender
    So try to disable MS Security Essential to see if it is the culprit.

Also try to boot the system only with ZA and standard MS services, this way:

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

Test ZA this way including rebooting...

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the General tab.

If you still have problems then your ZA databases may be corrupted, try to reset them. You will loose all your custom settings:

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Test again always with loading only ZA and OS standard executable.

Hope this helps

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

RoHe Guest

Fax,
    Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Problem is, I can't launch ZAfree at all now. On first reboot after installing, I get stuck at Found New Network window. Clicking ZA icon on task bar does nothing (left or right-click) and when I close the New Network box, ZA exits.

Have uninstalled ZA again for 4th (5th?) time this week. I'm probably giving up wasting time.

All these problems started in Aug and I'm beginning to suspect a conflict with some Microsoft XP update. Haven't installed any other software recently, aside from Microsoft Security Essentials updates, and everything else is running normally.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by RoHe View Post
    Fax,
    Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Problem is, I can't launch ZAfree at all now. On first reboot after installing, I get stuck at Found New Network window. Clicking ZA icon on task bar does nothing (left or right-click) and when I close the New Network box, ZA exits.

Have uninstalled ZA again for 4th (5th?) time this week. I'm probably giving up wasting time.

All these problems started in Aug and I'm beginning to suspect a conflict with some Microsoft XP update. Haven't installed any other software recently, aside from Microsoft Security Essentials updates, and everything else is running normally.

Ron

Hi;

Here is my 2 cents worth..

What you are describing, sounds like you have something on your Computer that is Blocking or conflicting with Zone Alarm free and preventing it from running..

This could be 1.) a corrupted install, 2.) Microsoft Security Essentials updates, 3.) other Security Software or other Firewall program running, 4.) Malware infection..

Sorry, I have no further Suggestion if none of the Suggestions from Guru Fax did not help..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 3rd, 2011 at 03:16 AM.

RoHe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hi;

Here is my 2 cents worth..

What you are describing, sounds like you have something on your Computer that is Blocking or conflicting with Zone Alarm free and preventing it from running..

This could be 1.) a corrupted install, 2.) Microsoft Security Essentials updates, 3.) other Security Software or other Firewall program running, 4.) Malware infection..

Sorry, I have no further Suggestion if none of the Suggestions from Guru Fax did not help..
    Thanks for your suggestions!

System is free of malware according to Microsoft Essentials, Malwarebytes, Spybot, and SuperAntiSpyware. Windows firewall is disabled, and no other firewall was ever installed on this PC.

Hard to believe it's a corrupted install. I installed 92.106.00 as update to 96.102.00 that had been running fine, and 106 ran fine for over a month before it started acting up in mid-Aug.

Here's what seems to have fixed it -at least for the moment. With 106 uninstalled, I installed 102 and that went perfectly and ShieldsUp gave it passing grades. So I updated 102 to 106 and it's working now too.

I should point out I used the same download of the 106 installer so it wasn't corrupted when I first downloaded it and the download is still ok since it worked to update 102.

Thanks again.
    Ron

Smile Re: ZA control center freezes

Your Welcome...

Thank you for your Feedback..

Thread Information