Thread: Scanning Very Very Very Slow

HinFrance Guest

Thumbs down Scanning Very Very Very Slow

Since the upgrade to whatever the current version is (I can't seem to find the version number as the interface has changed so radically it takes me ages to find anything - tbh honest the UI is ghastly now) each scan is taking absolutely ages.

The current scan is at 7 hours 59 minutes and is 63% complete.

The previous version was an order of magnitude faster.

I do have a lot of data, roughly 2.5tb, but the program seems to be deep checking absolutely every file every time as if it doesn't have a checksum table stored anywhere.

It's bl**dy annoying.

Moreso because I bought a two year licence at last renewal.

Windows vista HP 32 bit, Intel Quad, 3gb ram, 4gb boost drive.

Default Re: Scanning Very Very Very Slow

First scan is normally slow, the next ones will be faster with intelligent skipping of known files. If you have installed on top of the old version then better to remove fully and reinstall a fresh copy with fresh settings. The upgrade may have gone wrong.

You should consider that this version is, by desing, lighter and faster than the previous. Exactly the contrary of what you are experiencing. So, surely something wrong there.

To know the version number you will do the same as in version 9. Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> copy to clipboard --> paste it here.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Smile Re: Scanning Very Very Very Slow

Hi;

I agree with Guru Fax's advise..

Also, the link Below will provide a tip on how to navigate the new ver. 10 design..

Sticky: What's New with ZA 10.0.250
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

HinFrance Guest

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have run three scans now and they are getting slower, not faster. The last one took nearly 11 hours.

I have a lot of customised settings in both the firewall and programme access settings; to have to manually reset everything is not an option
    ~~snip~~

As for the UI, there is nothing whatsoever 'button' like about the big logos and it would never have occurred to me in a thousand years that they might be clickable for menu access.
    ~~snip~~

I also have the always scanning on startup issue, for which I see the same solution is proposed - untinstall and reset everything manually. Unacceptable.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 10.0.246.000
    vsmon version: 10.0.246.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1060191328
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.311.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.53.235
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155
    Last edited by fax; September 16th, 2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: offtopic

Sorry, some offtopic remarks needed to go. Please stick to the subject of this thread.

You are running an old build of ZA Extreme. This build has bugs including those of scanning at boot. You find the latest version at the ZA support site:

Looking for the latest version?

For the scannning, I am afraid you will need to contact the official ZA technical support since what you are experiencing (slower at each new scan) is not normal and actually first time I hear about it.

**Please be aware that its best you start clean (fully remove 246, install 250, do not import any custom settings) to ensure you are not moving the old problems to the new version that does not have it.

If you cannot start clean then I have no other suggestions than moving to something else that better fits your needs. There is nothing worst than running old security tools.

Hi!

Sorry one offtopic post was removed. Please to stick to the issue of this thread or I will need to close it due to the lack of feedback.

It has been posted several time in here that automatic updates are only turned on for major releases (e.g. from 9 to 10). Please review the board before posting, by searching the forum you will also find many useful posts with standard troubleshooting steps (start your system selectively to identify potential conflicts with third party software, resetting settings, etc.)

Please note we are all users here, if you have a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at the link in my signature. They are the only ones that will be able to log your issue, troubleshoot it and eventually escalate it to development.

Thanks,
    Fax

Unfortunately, due to the persistent offtopic remarks and disparage I am forced to close this thread.

As already suggested, please do not hesitate to contact directly the ZA technical support if you genuinely need to troubleshoot the issue. I am sure they will be pleased to help you. It is important to report directly to support since they may need to collect logs (we can't here) and eventually escalate it to development (if unresolved).

Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.

Fax

Thread Information