Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ZA 2012 and Firefox

Default [SOLVED] ZA 2012 and Firefox

Does ZA 2012 automatically allow Firefox to access the network like past versions did (and current versions do) for Internet Explorer? I just tried out the 2012 trial and whereas past versions asked me if I wanted Firefox to allow access, 2012 doesn't. Like with Internet Explorer, where it is automatically allowed. So, in 2012, is Firefox treated the same as IE in that it is automatically allowed to access the network?

Thanks!
    Last edited by fax; December 27th, 2011 at 12:56 AM.

Default Re: Does ZA 2012 treat Firefox like IE in that it automatically allows it to access?

Hi;

This Forum exist to allow Volunteer experienced Zone Alarm Users to help the Few Users who encounter a problem with ZoneAlarm and need to be guided in the right direction..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer and Software that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

*** NOTICE:

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list Full details of your Computer:

Give the Exact Type and version of Zone Alarm used, Windows Version used, other security tools installed and what version of FireFox and IE you are Refering to. ??

NOTE: to find out what Type & Version of ZA Click on the ZA Tray Icon, Click on About, copy to Clicpboard, then Paste that information here with "Ctrl-V"

is this a First time install?
    Stopped working recently?
    any other issues?
    any Error messages in the ZA logs?
    and what are the steps you took to reproduce the problem.

The More information you post the more likely users here will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

also is this a DeskTop, Laptop computer or Netbook.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Does ZA 2012 treat Firefox like IE in that it automatically allows it to access?

Quote Originally Posted by dbminter View Post
    Does ZA 2012 automatically allow Firefox to access the network like past versions did (and current versions do) for Internet Explorer? I just tried out the 2012 trial and whereas past versions asked me if I wanted Firefox to allow access, 2012 doesn't. Like with Internet Explorer, where it is automatically allowed. So, in 2012, is Firefox treated the same as IE in that it is automatically allowed to access the network? Thanks!

Uuuhm, this is a long standing feature of ZA, it is called DefenseNet (former smartdefense). Known programs to the central ZA database are automatically configured and given access. Also if your application control is set to AUTO all known safe or unkwnow will be granted permissions.

Understanding Application Control
    Setting the SmartDefense Advisor level

(help for version 9)
    Last edited by fax; September 18th, 2011 at 01:05 AM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

To test remove all firefox entries in application control, turn OFF DefenseNet, close ZA in tray and try again. I have just test it here and it works fine. ZA pop-up asking to allow firefox to connect.

Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 18th, 2011 at 08:28 AM.

I tried that and it still allowed Firefox to open.

To open? If you mean to "connect" then something wrong there that I cannot replicate here. If you mean "open" then, yes ... it is allowed to open, it is normal.
    To not allow firefox to open you need to change the "trust level" of firefox to "kill". Click on firefox in the ZA application control and push on "options" button (trust level).

Then next step is to contact ZA technical support and report in detail the problem. The link to support is in my signature. Look for the LIVE CHAT link.
    Let us know if you manage to resolve the issue with support and how. We are all users here and reporting to official is essential to get the issue logged, troubleshooted and escalated, if needed.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 19th, 2011 at 07:13 AM.

Sorry I didn't reply back. I never got it to work at all before. It always connected Firefox without asking if it should. I didn't use the right word before. I meant connect. And I had DefenseNet set to Off.

I tried the latest version now and I got a little further. I got it to ask if Firefox should connect to the Internet, BUT, only once. Every time I deleted the listing in the Applications list, Firefox was always asked if it should connect the FIRST time. Afterwards, Firefox always auto connected. If I deleted the entry again, it would ask again for connection, but only once. I have DefenseSet set to Off.

Looks like I got it to work. Discovered on the forums that there was a newer version, 10.1.079.000. Tried that and what you said earlier but I also made 1 slight change. Instead of closing down ZA and restarting it after deleting the entries, I closed down ZA and rebooted the PC. Then, it started asking me every time if I should let Firefox connect to the Internet. I also believe I manually set DefenseNet to auto and then back to off and also did the same thing for the other slider option on the same menu as DefenseNet.

I noticed that the Remember this setting box is automatically checked every time the ZA dialog opens. Is there any way to change this behavior? I may accidentally set something to allow automatically that I don't want to. I'd rather check the box each time myself if I want to allow something automatically.

Thanks!

What you describe for the previous version is by design (asking only once). What you describe in the current its probably also by design (always to check out the box). You probably need to check with ZA support for a definitive answer. It must be a real pain web surfing and been forced to allow everytime access to load pages. Moreover this is not going to help improving your security, once you allow malware to execute it will make no diference to not allowing web access, it will be anyway too late.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; December 24th, 2011 at 04:05 AM.

Well, I've decided to uninstall it and wait for Version 11. There were too many problems with V 10 and the Firefox issue that appeared to finally work with 10.1.079.000 introduced a new Firefox problem. If for what ever reason there wasn't an Internet connection available and Firefox tries to connect to the Internet, with ZA installed, it would randomly prevent Firefox from opening, not connecting, but opening, i.e. even starting, and firefox32.exe could NOT be cancelled from memory with Task Manager. It would return an error saying application failed to terminate. Uninstalling ZA would then allow Firefox to open when this happened. I also think behavior seemed to happen more when Macrium Reflect images of the Windows partition were restored and then Firefox was attempted to open. I put software through all kinds of tests while trying it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information