Thread: [SOLVED] zonealarmAv 10 tray icon dead --> conflicts with W95 app. "Traywizard"

nelsoneddie Guest

Unhappy [SOLVED] zonealarmAv 10 tray icon dead --> conflicts with W95 app. "Traywizard"

I have performed a clean setup of ZaAVSetup_1050_250_000_en.exe to replace ver 9...
    I now cannot access any of the features of ZaAv by right clicking the tray icon, all I get is a popup balloon saying "ZoneAlarm Your computer is protected"

This is my third attempt at installing the latest version, the first worked as an update to the previous version but after a week or so hovering over the icon gave "update is running" this continued until I uninstalled using windows uninstall and reinstalled. I then got the first situation I described, so ran clean.exe and did a clean install as described earlier.

The PC is an Aceratom with 4 GB memory running Vista home premium SP2 32 bit
    Any suggestions as to how I can regain control of ZaAV please.

Default Re: zonealarmAv version 10 setup

If you click twice on the Z icon with the left button does it open the main interface?
    What other security tools are installed on the machine? SpyBotS&D? WinPatrol? Adware? Other security tools?
    Did you experienced or cleaned any malware infection recently?

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

nelsoneddie Guest

clicking with either button however many times gets no response, hovering is the only thing that does. Zone alarm tells me it is updating and then that my computer is protected.

I have running both spybot and windows defender, both these have been perfectly compatible with previous versions of ZaAV

Unfortunately both can conflict with ZA AV, you can search this board for details.

1. Download the latest ZAAV version
    2. Remove you current version (in XP? add/remove programs)
    3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.
    4. Clean your system and registry with ccleaner.com
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim
    5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, reboot.
    6. Install the latest version without touching any default settings.

Any success this time?

nelsoneddie Guest

i have carried out your suggestions as far as spybot is concerned though the program accuses checkpoint of underhand practices the residual remover found no residuals but suggested I remove Mozilla Firefox - is it by any chance a microsoft product ? I then used clean and reinstalled and left ZaAV as a trial version. I have no response from the icon other than warning balloons. What next?

Assuming you have performed the above mentioned 6 steps and you have the latest version of the Acer eDataSecurity Management the next one is to boot your PC selectively to check for other software conflicts.

This way:

1.) Click Start
    2.) Type MSConfig in the search box and click ENTER
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient and forcefield (if present)
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the General tab.

nelsoneddie Guest

Smile Re: zonealarmAv version 10 setup

Thanks,
    those actions have given me back control of the icon - presumably now I restart those services one at a time to see which is causing the conflict ?

Excellent... at least we got some progress!

Yes, start with the service tab and then move to the startups items. You can do it by group of three/four items a time to get it faster.

Cheers,
    Fax

nelsoneddie Guest

Smile Re: zonealarmAv version 10 setup

The conflict seems to be between a program I have been using from win95 onwards called "Traywizard".Stopping this from starting cleared the problem, now I need to reduce the number of icons in my system tray !

Thank you very much for taking the time to report back. It is indeed a very old application that, as far as I can see it has been discontinued. So, you are not going to find support from them nor you will find an updated version.

You unlikely to get support from ZA too, I am sure they are not going to make design changes for an abandoware. I guess you may need to search around for an alternative, if any exist.

Unless there are other issues I will revise the title of the thread to hint to the solution and close it.

Do not hesitate to open a new thread for any other ZA product related issue you may have and thank you again for been with us so far.

Fax

Thread Information