Thread: Windows Update Permissions

Hybrid View

edangp Guest

Default Windows Update Permissions

Hello,

On a new install of the current release I get all red Xs for Windows Update, wuauclt.exe.

Since this is the windows update file, shouldn’t it have internet rights? (The trust level is Super)
    If I give it internet rights, ZA always changes it back to deny in all four colums.

This is the correct file and located correctly in System32 folder. I did find a few threads concerning this but I did not understand or they were not clear on this issue.
    Thank you.

ZoneAlarm Pro version: 10.0.250.000
    vsmon version: 10.0.250.000
    Driver version: 10.0.250.000
    Win XP Pro SP3

Default Re: Windows Update Permissions

Sorry all user here, I guess to know exactly why this is set like this you will need to contact the ZA staff at the ZA support. Not sure ZA technical support will be able to help since you will need to get in touch with the actual ZA development team that is responsible of the set-up of permissions to programs.

Let us know if you get any useful information about it.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

edangp Guest

First, please understand I am not venting about this forum. Right now I am just very frustrated with tech support. If the moderator feels this should not be here, please remove.

Tech support cannot tell me what to do about the issue above. They cannot tell me if this is designed to deny windows update or not. So far, I have done the following:
    1. Uninstall and reinstall with the clean tool as described in the forum many times. (same)
    2. Installed on my second system to see if there was a problem with this particular setup. (also denied)
    3. Contacted tech support twice just to see if anyone can answer my, to me, simple question. (they don’t know)
    So far, nothing has worked and no one can tell me if this should be given permission or denied. Now I cannot even get through to chat for some reason. After about 30 min of waiting, the chat window disappears.

I just tried for the third time and was told, “it is possible” that since the trust level is SUPER that it will override the four denied columns. Before I could confirm this, I was cut off again.

Ok…tried for the fourth time and was told that “it should” work. Then the tech stated he looked on other systems and also saw the 4 denied columns and stated this is how the program works.

After approx 5 hours of trying to get a confirmed answer from tech support, I am having trouble keeping calm. Where can I go from here to get help with this issue?
    All I want is a concrete answer as to if this is normal behavior for the program.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by edangp View Post
    Where can I go from here to get help with this issue? Thank you
    Sorry all users here, I understand your frustration but posting here cannot replace (nor will help to resolve the issue) the proper channeling of problems to ZA staff via official support.

If MS updates works fine with the permissions as set in DefenseNet network then I am confused why you want to modify them. They may have been set as such for security reasons. Reasons why they are only known to development.

If you still want to change permission you need first to to UNcheck the advance setting option "Enable Microsoft catalogue utilization". Otherwise all MS choices in program control will be overrided by this setting (A reboot may be needed for changes to take effect. Then customise the entry at your wish. If you have still problems try to override the permission by fully removing the entry in application control and click on OK to move out from the control window (otherwise you may not really delete the entry), repeat the process if still with problems.

If you have still problems then your only valid router to report the issue is ZA support. They are the only ones to be able to collect, log, troubleshoot and escalate the issue to development.

Please note that by UNchecking "Enable Microsoft catalogue utilization" you may receive prompts from legit MS applications, please be careful not to block them.
    Last edited by fax; September 20th, 2011 at 11:58 PM.

edangp Guest

Thank you Fax for the reply.

I have calmed down now have decided to leave it as is and double check that I am getting all the updates for my system when they come out.

I guess my frustration was that tech support could not answer my question, but thinking about it a little more I can see that they (tech support) do not know everything that the developers (programmers) are doing. You did infer to this in one of your replies but I guess I was not thinking things through.

Thank you again for answering my rant.

You're are welcome!
    I will close this thread for the time been. Do not hesitate to contact me via PM if you need to re-open it.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information