Thread: Problems Installing 3rd Party Software

Default Problems Installing 3rd Party Software

I use Vista with Zone Alarm Security Suite.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 10.0.250.000
    vsmon version: 10.0.250.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1060587264
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.322.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.53.235
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

Since upgrading from ZASS v9 to v10 have noticed a problem when installing 3rd party software (not ZASS). When install program is run a ZASS alert appears. No problem I click Allow.

However install program gets stuck part way through. The only way to resolve is to go into Program Settings and manually alter Trust Permission to Super for the install program. It is as if ZASS does not remember the Allow and does not generate another Alert. I have seen this behaviour with more than one 3rd party software install and more than one computer.

This cannot be right. If you did not know how to set Permissions manually you could never install some software. This is clearly for software that ZASS does not recognise to set permissions automatically.

I have seen the same issues with the same required solution when trying to uninstall software.

This was never a problem for v 9. For v 10 it is not a problem for all software. As I said I think that it happens for software that ZASS does not recognise.

If ZASS does not recognise the installing software it generates an Alert. This must be normal if software is not on ZASS "white list".

Are others seeing this problem??

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Problems Installing 3rd Party Software

Best to report directly to ZA techical support. Let us know if you find a solution.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Best to report directly to ZA techical support. Let us know if you find a solution.

Thanks,
    Fax
    But has anyone else seen the same problem???

No, not here... I get ZA OS firewall alerts on suspicious behaviour (trust level). Try to reset the ZA setting and if you still have problems followup with support.

Thanks,
    Fax

No, not here... I get ZA OS firewall alerts on suspicious behaviour (trust level). Try to reset the ZA setting and if you still have problems followup with support.

Thanks,
    Fax
    That is what I am describing.

Try installing something like KeyScrambler free (qfxsoftware.com) to see whether you replicate my problem.

Thanks
    Last edited by fax; September 24th, 2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: active link

Ok, this is a security tool. Can't test it right now. So probably the two are clashing... not necessarely a ZA issue. Do you have another non-security realted software doing the same?

Thanks,
    Fax

Ok, this is a security tool. Can't test it right now. So probably the two are clashing... not necessarely a ZA issue. Do you have another non-security realted software doing the same?

Thanks,
    Fax
    KeyScrambler is not a security tool in the same sense as ZASS - it is an add-on for internet explorer that only runs if internet explorer is opened. Hence there should not be clashes.

Problem also occurs with other software. One example is Secunia PSI.

So I do think that it is a ZASS issue. Particular as it has only started happening after the ZASS upgrade from v9 to v10.

Happy to wait till you have a chance to test.

Thanks.

Not only an add-on, it actually install a driver in the system, this is loaded even if your browser is off. So, as I was saying, it can clash with ZA hooks to the system (e.g. keyboard). Regardless of the above that you should always take into account to avoid problems I had finally time to test.

Secunia is automatically recognized by the DefenseNet and given permissions accordingly while for keyscrabler I get many pop-ups from ZA at install such as:

Trusted:

Internet

Installing:

Driver Install:

To sum up: Sorry, it does not happen here. Best you try first to boot the system clean of third party software and then try to install those problematic applications, secondly try to reset ZA; It may be corrupted. Finally follow-up with support to have the issue logged, may be its linked to your specific set-up and then it will be hard to get it fixed if it only happens at your end.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 24th, 2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Just to clarify. When you tested the installs for KeyScrambler and Secunia PSI:

1) For KeyScrambler you clicked "Allow" when you got the Alerts and the KeyScrambler install completed??

2) For Secunia PSI its install completed without any Alerts??

In both cases you allowed the install of KeyScrambler and Secunia PSI to complete and saw KeyScrambler and Secunia PSI operate on your PC??

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by fax; September 24th, 2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Removed quote, not needed.

For the anti Keylogger i have only ensured it installed correctly (it requires a reboot after install). I did not test its functionality since it overlaps with the ZA OS firewall protection for keyloggers and I don't pile security tool one over the other per personal policy. For the psi there was no prompts (automatically recognised by ZA DefenseNet), it installed correctly and it was perfectly functional.

For the antikeylogger I have allowed all those pop-ups to let it install.

Thread Information