Thread: [SOLVED] Forcefield Temp files

Hybrid View

florestan Guest

Red face [SOLVED] Forcefield Temp files

So, if I have a ton of *.isw files in this folder...
    c:\documents and settings\user\application data\#ISW.FS#\Normal

then these are all files which belong to Force Field (ie: Zone Alarm)? I can't seem to find a direct answer anywhere, either here or elsewhere on the net.

Are they okay to just delete?

I'm running Win XP SP3, and ZAX 10.0.250 (both up to date).

Thx

Default Re: Virus software conflict with ForceField

Yes, they are from forcefield. No, they are not OK to remove, you may corrupt the web browser cache. You may want to clear the forcefield virtual cache. Some of those will be removed.

If you want to remove all of them its best to contact ZA technical support and check if this can be done and, if yes, which is the safest way. The link to technical support is in my signature.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

florestan Guest

Default Re: Forcefield Temp files

Well crud.... I guess I found out the hard way. Last night (before you replied) I clicked on "Clear Virtual History" in ZAX and was pleased to see that the files were removed (all but 6, which were dated a month ago), and cleared up quite a bit of space - to the tune of 4GB.

Unfortunately, after doing so, my Firefox browser wouldn't start, mostly giving me proxy setting errors, GUI not displaying properly, etc. I replaced the profile files (I had a backup of those), and then Firefox would work, albeit the GUI is still missing a few key graphics (esp for tabs, backgrounds, etc). I don't know how these are all related, but it clicking on "Clear Virtual History" sure did mess things up.

I'm going to reinstall FireFox (not a big deal) to see if it repairs the browser. I'll report back what happens.

It's frustrating that so many files are just left on the HDD like this. I only found out because yesterday's regularly scheduled AV scan picked up one of the files as being a Win32 virus with no available info, now clearly a false negative. But - it picked up it's own files as a virus! Frustrating. /end rant

Hi!

This is unusual and mostly unrelated (by design) but you can also combine the virtual cache cleaning with the browser own cache cleaning. This may sort out some of the problem (display problems). Its normal to have so many files, it is linked to your browser use. Those files are the browser cache managed by ZA forcefield if the virtualization option is active.

Also note that if you have installed add-ons or browser updates while with the virtualization turned ON then your add-ons may have been installed only or partially in the virtual part. Thus, cleaning the virtual cache will also remove or corrupt those add-ons. To keep in mind: always install updates and browser add-ons/extension with the virtualization turned off.

You can have a look to this sticky README that summaries main issues, recommendation and solutions linked to ZA forcefield.
    README FIRST: ForceField Toolbar - Common Resolutions to Problems

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 27th, 2011 at 09:29 AM.

florestan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!

To keep in mind: always install updates and browser add-ons/extension with the virtualization turned off.
    Ugh - where's that bit of useful info in the handbook??? That would have been great to know over the last year or so. For the longest time I always thought it was a mozilla issue, now only to find out it's really ZA. Awesome.

Thanks for the links, they're useful now.

As for my previous issue - I had unistalled Firefox completely, even deleted my profile & got rid of all my add ons & extensions. Some of my fav's weren't compatible with the new 7.0 (I just got 6.0!), and I couldn't find an 'old' version to download anywhere. So, now I'm without most of my addons, but hey - my browser works.

I've got to admit, I've been using ZA products for a LONG time, and this is finally starting to make me look for another product. This is incredulous that you have to do so much manual work to update a browser. The guys at mozilla are working hard to make the update process so easy, yet ZA makes it so difficult. Sorry - I'll rant in another topic.

I guess my problem is solved for now. Thanks.

I am glad to hear you have sorted it out. The advanced protection of the virtualization in ZAX hooks deeply into the browser this is why ZAX may not be compatible with newest browser releases. It needs careful design and testing.

Just follow those few recommandation to have a trouble free experience with ZA web protection.

Compatibility with Firefox 7 will be addressed in the next ZA build, that should be out sometimes soon, no precise ETA yet.

I am closing this thread since the issue is resolved. Do not hesitate to open a new thread for any other ZA product related issue or PM me in case you need to re-open this thread to post new information.

You can download previous firefox 3 version (a new build was just released) at:
    http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox...html#languages

Or you can use file hippo service:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 29th, 2011 at 04:02 AM.

Thread Information