Thread: [SOLVED] New Network Found -- no blocking option

ZAUser999 Guest

Default [SOLVED] New Network Found -- no blocking option

Occasionally, my ZA Free Firewall indicates finding a new Network.
    Such occurences have nothing to do with a real new network; I suspect ZA picks up a neighbor's wireless network.
    Weirdly, ZA does not allow blocking the new network. It gives only two options: either let the new network access the trusted zone or the Internet. And if I click Cancel I inadvertently get the riskier, Internet option.
    ZA 'Help' warns about the neighbor's network situation but all it suggests is writing down the IP address and check it with my ISP or network manager. I am my own home network manager (am I not?) but this IP is meaningless to me.
    I don't understand ZA's behavior in this respect and don't know what to do about it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: New Network Found -- no blocking option

Hi!

before getting into ZA they need to be selected/active/recorded under your OS. Clean your OS list of networks you have been connecting or accepting connection and you will avoid having ZA asking you about those networks.
    Last edited by fax; October 6th, 2011 at 02:11 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ZAUser999 Guest

My Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center normally shows only a single network, called Network 2. This is also the situation right now.

The computer I'm now writing on is connected to a wireless router and in turn to the Internet via network cables. A laptop at home is connected through wireless.

What, then, should I do the next time ZA finds a new stray network?

That is the active networks, you need to go the wireless network connection list (Manage wireless networks) and remove all those not concerned.

Fax

ZAUser999 Guest

Today the problem happened again.
    Folowing Guru's advice I looked up 'Manage wireless networks' but it only says "Wireless is not currently enabled."

The fact that ZoneAlarm, upon finding a new stray network, does not allow blocking it but provides only two unwanted and seemingly dangerous options, tells me it is a basically very flawed software program. The fact that it is free is no excuse whatsoever.

I'm not inclined to continue using such a program and I intend to replace it ASAP. ~~snip~~
    Last edited by fax; October 18th, 2011 at 04:00 AM. Reason: offtopic

Hi!

if your wireless network is disabled then either your wireless is managed by a third party driver/software or the connection request comes from a wired hardware.

In both above described scenario these connections had to be approved by you in the system (the OS or third party software). Also in both cases setting the connection as "internet" will fully neutralise it with no access to your system or files comparable to any connection coming from the outside (the internet).

Considering that you seem to have difficulties in configuring properly your system and also you have difficulties in understanding the mechanism behind ZA trusted or internet zones, I am afraid I cannot help you further. You may want to read the user guide published here (please note that some options are only available to retail versions).

Furthermore you are anyway going to remove ZA from the system. This thread will then be redundant since the issue does not subsist anymore. I will therefore close it and revise the title to reflect it.

Do not hesitate to PM me in case you need to re-open it or feel free to open any new thread for any other ZA product related issue.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; October 18th, 2011 at 05:31 AM.

Thread Information