Thread: ZASS Normal Scan Too Slow

jperelst Guest

Default ZASS Normal Scan Too Slow

I'm at 10.0.250

Since version 10 came out, the scans are sloooooow.

For example, on my 160G laptop hard drive (about 80G used), the scan that started at 1am this morning is only 25% complete after 5-1/2 hours of scanning. That laptop has a 2+GHz CPU in it.

My development desktop has 218G (about 95G used) and the scans are similarly slow despite a dual core. And that's not including scans of my external USB drives.

What did ZA do to the scans to make them this bad?

Jon

Default Re: ZASS Normal Scan Too Slow

Not normal, probably due to other software installed that slow ZA operation or can be due to large compressed files you have stored on the system or can be due to incorrect settings of the scanner.

Also first scan can be slow but followup scans should be faster due to the intelligent scanning. Finally lack of available RAM can slow down the scan.

As normal behaviour, scan in ZA version 10 are faster and engine lighter. If not in your case and assuming ZA is not corrupted or misconfigured then, most likely, there may conflicts with installed applications.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jperelst Guest

Thanks for the reply.

This computer, which is running Win 7 Home Premium (fully updated) has never had anything but ZASS on it (starting with a version 9 something). No MacAfee, no Norton, not even Mickeysoft Security Essentials.

My Vista desktop (fully updated) has the same problem, as does a Vista laptop (also fully updated) and another Win7 laptop. None has ever had anything on them but ZASS.

At the suggestion of one of the gurus, I installed v10.0.250 on each of the machines by doing a complete clean of ZASS and then a fresh install of v10.0.250.

I don't have a lot of big zip files on here. It's only about 80 or 90 gig of space used total.

I would appreciate any suggestions about what settings I should and should not have or any other software to look for.

Jon

If your ZA is a fresh install and on defaults settings then I would simply wait to finish the scan and see if successive scan will continue to be slow. Normal scans will only happen monthly. It is probably an issue of few RAM available at the time of the scan or many booting services and/or software.

If you are not on default settings then first try to revert to them (ZA tools, preferences --> Reset to defaults).

If you want to see if there is an issue with third party software then you should try to run the scan only with ZA running. Like this:

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the search box and click ENTER
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient and forcefield
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

Now scan with ZA and see if there is a change in speed.

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the General tab.

If you keep having slow scan then its probably one off issue with your specific PC/laptop and the new antivirus engine since most users experience the exact opposite experience.

Finally note that we are not the official ZA support here, all users. It important you try to resolve this issue with the official ZA technical support at the link in my signature (look for the live chat icon). You will also need it if you intend to request a refund.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information