Thread: [SOLVED] Shutting down ZA crashes Browsers

zebra148 Guest

Default [SOLVED] Shutting down ZA crashes Browsers

I just got extreme 2012, and extreme it is in all the wrong ways.
    I got it cause was cheaper than security suite, what a mistake...anyways
    Why is it when I try and close ZA interface from my task bar does it crash and close my browsers. Mainly I use firefox 7.01 with very seldom IE 6.0,
    have XP pro sp3. vsmon uses so much cpu, that have shut down most of my auto run programs already.
    With security suite if had a problem (not very often) just could close ZA in my task bar with no problems......but if do that in extreme, the world comes to an end. What can I tweak to stop this. Thank for any polite answer

Default Re: Shutting down ZA crashes Browsers

Before explaining the issue, there is a basic question. Why you want to shut ZA down? You should always keep ZA ON in all conditions, its essential for your security. Otherwise ZA may not be for you

Now the explanations. It is normal that if you shudown ZA also your browser will be closed. ZA needs to unload the protection included in the borwsers. If you want to shutdown ZA without causing your browser to shutdown you need to turn OFF the ZA web security.

You want the protection of ZA Suite without using the power of virtualization (the best feature in ZA Extreme)? Then keep ZA virtualization OFF.

Finally remember that the current version of ZA does NOT support FF7. Also your IE6 is fully outdated, in XP you should at least move to version 8.

Hope this help.

Cheers,
    Fax
    P.S. As a licensed user of ZA you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at the link in my signature (look for the LIVE CHAT icon). We are all users here.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zebra148 Guest

Thanks for the replies, but I do not use IE for anything it is just there, cause can not get rid of....sigh

But took care of my problem un installed extreme 2012 , going back to security suite does not use as much cpu

Thanks again extreme just too much work for the home computer

zebra148 Guest

forgot to add the reason for shutting down ZA from taskbar was the very high cpu usage, I do not get that in security suite
    And I did try shutting off virtualization off, and that made no difference in extreme for me??

thanks again Fax for being helpful
    Last edited by zebra148; October 16th, 2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: forgot to finish what I did try

You're welcome!

ZA Suite and Extreme are identical except for virtualization. Its weird you see differences, there are not.

Also high CPU should be troubleshooted by, for example, using MSCONFIG. Or investigating if ZA performing any activity (e.g. Scanning).

Since you have moved back to ZA Suite I am closing this thread as the issue is resolved.

Do not hesitate to open a new thread for any other issue you may have.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by zebra148 View Post
    forgot to add the reason for shutting down ZA from taskbar was the very high cpu usage, I do not get that in security suite
    And I did try shutting off virtualization off, and that made no difference in extreme for me??

thanks again Fax for being helpful

Here is the Forum Moderators explaination for the High CPU usage..

Running applications that keep a constant internet connection open will create extra cycles to be used for ZA. Your basically constantly pushing data through ZA that it has to analyze so there will be more resources used and 50% and more is not unusual with these types of applications.

Its always been this way with ZA its just how the ZA core technology works and it nothing that can be changed or fixed because its working as designed.

Best advise don't run these kinds of apps all the time.

Forum Moderator
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information