Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Scan stuck at smss.exe --> Removed left overs from third party software

gelert Guest

Default Re: Scan stuck at smss.exe ZASS 10 and 10.1

I'll get round to doing that Boot In Safe Mode plus Networking some time tonight or tomorrow morning Fax.

Meanwhile, I've just downloaded and run Superantispyware (**** name btw!) and am now running Emsisoft Emergency Kit. Just some billy-basic tracking cookies found so far.

I will update the post above in due course.

However, what I find interesting is this: Every program already installed on my PC, plus every program that I've downloaded and installed over the past few weeks since this ZASS stalling-at-scan issue started, has run perfectly - that's each and every program, with the exception of ZASS.

And that to me speaks volumes, frankly.

Plus, WinPatrol & Spywareblaster & Spybot S&D sit quite happily alongside ZASS 10.0.250.000 on two other single-HD PCs just now - so it's probably not that.

To answer your question: What kind of optimisation you allowed by those HD utilities? Did you defrag your boot sectors? Yes - I did optimise the Boot Sectors, and the Page File System as well...but not until WAY after ZASS 10.0.250.000 stopped working.
    And since then, at the risk of repeating myself, every other program - either previously installed or downloaded & installed afterwards, has worked perfectly - again with the exception of ZASS.

So - until proved otherwise, I'm still gunning for the DAT version being the culprit.

I have given you all the elements to try to troubleshoot the issue with possible ways out... up to you to use them in the best way you can.

Again, if this was a generalised problem of DAT this forum would be flooded by messages. The fact that this is not happening points to a specific local issue. This should also explain why you only experiencing this on one machine out of three and that no version seems to work anymore (if I understood well).

I am afraid the only route that will likely work is the full format and reintall of the OS and stay away from registry and HD optimization tools as well as redundant security tools. I am sure formatting is not the route you would like to follow then the only alternative is to wait for license expiration and look for something that is less sensitive to your setup.

Sorry, i have no further suggestions to resolve your issue. Please follow up with ZA official support if they have better ideas.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; October 23rd, 2011 at 02:54 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gelert Guest

Well - there's interesting...!
    Safe Boot with Networking won't get past kl1.sys.
    Which is part of Zone Alarm in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers.

Shall I rename it and try again...?

Uuuhm, bad... this then is a more serious issue than a simple third party software conflict. You should not rename the file, you will break the ZA antivirus engine. This is one of the key drivers for kaspersky to run (ZA uses Kaspersky engine).

This may point to an incorrect install of the antivirus engine on the system or an incorrect install of the antivirus updates after the main install leading to the problem you see (i.e. not been able to scan properly).

Normally this happen if the installer has not enough previlegies into writing into the system. Due to ad-hoc registry or folder permissions or corrupted entries that are not removed by uninstallers or other software that limits the access to system. Some of these could only be fixed by knowing exactly which entries are created and then manually remove or change permissions (sometimes safe mode is needed to make changes) or identifying the offending software that blocks the correct installation. I had a non ZA registry related issue in the past and the only way to fix it was to reformat the machine.

Do you have an image of the system before installing any ZA 10 version? If yes, you may want to try to start from a ZA 10 free machine. Removing also the other overlapping tools before and not running any HD optimization.

If not, I can only suggest a full reinstall of the system (including an essential formatting of the HD) and then install XP + all SPs and windows updates and before doing anything else installing ZA and test it works properly. After that you can install back the rest.

Probably the easiest solution is to install some other security tool and then when you will need to reformat (if ever) you could think to install back ZA if still interested in it.

Fax
    PS. You could try. after having removed ZA, to run kaspersky removal tool. Not sure it will work on OEM engine installs but nothing to loose to try it. http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463
    Last edited by fax; October 24th, 2011 at 04:33 AM.

gelert Guest

...or an incorrect install of the antivirus updates after the main install leading to the problem you see (i.e. not been able to scan properly). OK, that'll be it then.

As I've posted previously, the initial Programs with the default DATs all work. But the moment that I update the DATs and then reboot, the program fails to complete a scan.

I'm going to have a play with some experimentation.

Thanks Fax.

*EDIT* Ooooh - this IS fun...NOT!
    Safe Boot now stuck at Mup.sys, dammit!
    chkdsk /r now running with WinXP disc, but only after downloading the relevant RAID drivers, and then creating the necessary 3.5" floppy.
    Laters.
    Last edited by gelert; October 24th, 2011 at 10:17 AM.

gelert Guest

Admin - edit function has timed-out on me, allegedly...

*EDIT#2* Right - after finding that Speedfan (giveio.sys) was the initial problem in stopping ANY Safe Boot, and then ivicd.sys (part of Intervideo), I tracked the Mups.sys hang down to InCD, which is part of Ahead Nero.
    Speedfan (I installed but never used it) and Ahead Nero (used to use it, but it's obsolete) have been removed, registry cleaned, and ALL Safe Boots now work - YAY!

10.1.052.000 now installed, updated, and it will run in Safe Mode with Networking - YAY!

But - still will NOT run in Normal Boot. Still hanging at C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe - BOO!

So - back to work I go - I WILL solve this...

Good progress then... you only need to find what else is blocking ZA from running in normal mode as you did in SAFE MODE.

One warm suggestion: Take some courage and reformat your PC and start from a clean book. As you describe it, the system looks pretty messed up

Smile Re: Scan stuck at smss.exe ZASS 10 and 10.1

Hi,

I agree with Guru Fax,

A reformat and fresh re-install of WinXP Pro, has solved many problems for me on one of my old WinXP computers..

Here is a Link to Microsoft Service pack 3 (SP3) for WinXP Pro..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ice-pack-3-sp3

Good luck..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; October 25th, 2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Update
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

I also agree with Fax and GeorgeV.

This PC is completely, utterly messed up beyond belief and needs to be Formatted first then the OS installed and then ALL and I mean ALL
    MS critical and non- critical updates should be installed and then NOTHING ELSE!!!!

Then install ZA again.

Make sure ZA is running fine for a few days before installing ANYTHING ELSE!@!!

Then install your other software and utilities BUT if the issue comes back then its not a ZA issue but possible another app creating an issue on your PC.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

gelert Guest

Just a quick reply guys - I'm going to keep going until I find the culprit app. Then we will all know what the clash is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information