Thread: [SOLVED] how do configure ZA10 with a BT home Hub? --> Router configuration

tim_t Guest

Default [SOLVED] how do configure ZA10 with a BT home Hub? --> Router configuration

I've just installed a BT home Hub3 router. Because it acts as a hardware firewall, most ports on my PC are stealthed according to www.grc.com. However, one port - port 161 - is open, and this has me worried. Many other BT customers who use this Hub also have the same problem, and according to BT it needs to be open for their maintenance of the network. So, if I cannot change the Hub's settings to hide port 161, I need to use a software firewall to do it. The problem is my ZoneAlarm Security Suite is now being bypassed by the Hub: it's no longer filtering incoming/outgoing traffic. To test it, I turned it off and went to www.grc.com again and scanned all service ports - all ports except 161 were stealthed.

So what settings do I need to input into ZA to allow it to work in conjunction with the Hub? I have a load of numbers from IPCONFIG, and my BT Home Hub settings including Broadband network IP address, Default gateway, Primary DNS, Secondary DNS etc. I haven't a clue what to do with them or whether they'll help ZA.

If I can do this, I can tell ZA what to do with port 161.

Tim

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 10.0.250.000
    vsmon version: 10.0.250.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1063996128

Default Re: how do configure ZA10 with a BT home Hub?

Hi!
    I am happy to see that you finally use ZA 10 as compared to the old version 9.

I am afraid you cannot do much about the router. The issue is simply that the internet facing device in your setup is the router and not ZA. ZA does not receive any internet related calls, all calls are filtered by the router than translated (NAT) and re-directed to your LAN/PC/ZA.

ZA is not bypassed but simply can't receive direct calls from the internet. The only way to allow ZA instead of the router to answer to calls is to change the router configuration. But this I am sure is not allowed by BT.

I would not be worried at all of your setup. Nowadays having a router managing the incoming calls is very common and most used. ZA will still be there to control whatever is missed by the router and managing all your outgoing call (application control).

Security wise you can adopt the following measures:

- Change the default password to access your router (if you can). With a strong alphanumeric random sequence of at least 15-20 characters.
    - Ensure the firmware of the router is up to date
    - If you have wireless activated, ensure your are on WPA2 encryption with a random alphanumeric key with more than 15-20 characters (up to 63 characters length). The longer the better.

On the side of the ZA you can:

- If you want to share in your LAN/Network (i.e. all elements connected to the router) files or resources (e.g. printer, shared folders, files) you need to set your LAN/Network as TRUSTED in ZA firewall zones (normally the first entry in the ZA zones).
    - if you are not sharing or don't want to share anything on your LAN, set the LAN as "INTERNET".
    - In all cases you need to ensure that the DHCP IP is set as TRUSTED in the ZA firewall zones.
    - if you have issues of connections also ensure your DNS IP(s) is/are added to the ZA firewall zone as TRUSTED.

Finally ensure that the ZA trusted zone is set to MEDIUM (default) while the ZA Internet zone should be set to HIGH (default). For maximum security ensure that ZA application control is set to MAX under the ZA section on application control.

Please remove your current version and install the latest version 10.1.065.000. Better to start clean (first remove the old and then install the new) without any imported settings. After that leave your ZA on defaults to learn your system for a couple of weeks then raise the application control from AUTO to MAX.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; November 11th, 2011 at 04:23 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

See enclosed workaround. Thanks to "zaoldie" for this
    http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-.../133207/page/7

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tim_t Guest

Thanks for the info. Sorry about the late reply. I asked AuditMyPC to scan TCP ports 1-1000. None were found to be open, so I have no idea what's going on.

ZA shows no activity whatsoever on the firewall side - it's only logged two firewall events since I installed the router. Is that normal? Apart from that it does what it's supposed to - monitoring software, etc.

Thanks for the link Fax but I've read it before and don't really understand much of it. In any case, maybe I'm just worrying about nothing.
    Last edited by tim_t; November 22nd, 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: incomplete

tim_t Guest

Well I revisited those instructions and tried again. This time I seemed to have done it: GRC says port 161 and port 4567 are now stealthed. Wasn't as technical as I thought it would be, though I haven't a clue what it is I just did!

In case anyone else is concerned about this:

1)Enter the Hub Manager
    2)Enter 'Settings', then 'Advanced settings'
    3)Enter 'Port Forwarding', then 'Configuration'
    4)Click 'Supported Applications'
    4)Click 'Add a new game or application'
    5)Add 'SNMP' to the list.
    6)Enter the port ranges in the fields: 161-161 and 4567-4567.
    7)Change 'Device' to your computer's name (or its IP)
    8)Click OK, then Apply.

If done right, grc.com should now show ports 161 & 4567 closed.

Problem solved.

Thread Information