Thread: Extra entries appear in Program Control

zaman Guest

Default Extra entries appear in Program Control

I frequently check on the entries under Program Control and delete the ones containing "? ? ? ?" just to keep it tidy. I have noticed recently that far more entriesareappearing that weren't as a result of a ZA popup i.e. didn't ask permission to grant or otherwise. I have been running free version 6.5.731.000 for about 2 weeks and wondered if this was normal. A few of the entries are shown below, none of which gave a popup.EDIT: I now think it's because of a new version of Avant Browser.RoboForm Identity EditorRoboform Taskbar IconLSA Shell (Export Version)Self-Extracting CabinetService Executable

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Message Edited by ZAman on 08-07-2006 06:15 PM

billc Guest

Default Re: Extra entries appear in Program Control

Every time an application is opened or starts that is not already on your Zone Alarm Programs list it is automatically added even if it does not request 'access'. So the behavior you're noticing is indeed normal. If you remove a program from the list, it will be added back the next time it starts.

zaman Guest

Surely you don't mean every application. I start/stop dozens of applications every day and they aren't all in the ZA list, only the ones that access the internet/lan/wan.

Message Edited by ZAman on 08-08-2006 09:52 AM

billc Guest

Sorry, when I re-read what I said, I can see I was not clear. The programs that are added to the list even though they may not have asked for access are those programs recognized by your firewall as 'safe' to allow access. This is likely what is happening to you. During your installation process, you were given the option to allow Zone Alarm to pre-configure 'safe' programs which means adding them to the Programs List with appropriate permissions when they are opened. Does that make better sense to you?

zaman Guest

Thanks billc, that makes sense now.

namsilat Guest

I too check frequently the list of programs under Application Control. Since installing the new version, I have noticed problem removing entries from that list. I have noticed many programs on that list that do not even exist on my machine, or at least not I can find them according to the file name location. When I select the program and click "Remove", then confirm, and "Ok", the program disappears from the list. But immediately I click Application Control to check, the program is still there as though it's never removed. Any idea?

zaman Guest

You'll probably discover what they are if you do some googling on the filename/pathname. If not come back.

namsilat Guest

One example of such entry is FCLEANER.EXE. I uninstalled this program months ago, and it's not on my machine anymore. There are also quite a few entries that look to be some sort of Microsoft installation or distribution files. Regardless of the nature of the files in the Application Control, any idea the reason that entries cannot be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by namsilat View Post
    Any idea the reason that entries cannot be removed?
    If you cannot remove them then most likely your ZA databases (where your ZA settings are stored) are corrupted. Try to reset them or reinstall ZA.

To reset you need to go to "tools" --> "preferences" --> "reset to default" --> Reboot. (this is only in ZAfree 10)

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information