Thread: ZA 10.1.065.000 - UNcheck toolbar at install has no effect, bug?

innkeeper9 Guest

Thumbs up ZA 10.1.065.000 - UNcheck toolbar at install has no effect, bug?

Hi,

When I upgraded I made sure I uncheck all the boxes on the popup and then watched as it installed the toolbar anyway.

So, I uninstalled and reinstalled again unchecking the boxes and again watched it install the toolbar [and as a side effect since it had already unistalled my older version on the first install on the second it had only 7 programs in it]

So, next I uninstalled and then reinstalled the older version and when I got the popup screen for upgrading tried again. No soap, again even without the box check it installed the toolbar.

How do I get rid of that since uninstalling and reinstalling is not doing it?

Ruth

davolente Guest

Default Uninstalling ZA toolbar

I must have let the toolbar slip by on an upgrade, which I don't particularly need. I saw these instructions for removal:

1.) Uninstall Zone Alarm Free with Clean.exe, run the removal tool <== Click here
    and Re-install the latest version of ZA Free 10.1.056.000

2.) during the Install process make sure that you UN-CHECK the Security Toolbar Option..

Does this method retain all the personal settings, program access, network zone settings, etc. from the previous installation, or do they have to be re-done? Is there a simpler way of removing the toolbar, as it doesn't seem to be listed in "add/remove programs" and neither does it seem to show in the latest Firefox, even if enabled, unless I'm missing something!

Default Re: ZA 10.1.65.000 - Can't uninstalling toolbar, bug?

Revised title thread to better hint to ZA version and problem and consolidating in one thread.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Tweener Guest

Default Re: ZA 10.1.065.000 - UNcheck toolbar at install has no effect, bug?

Yes, the toolbar installs anyway, although it is disabled. A check in IE at tools->manage add-ons->toolbars and add-ons confirms it is there. I also checked services and the forcefield service is up and running also.

I have used ZA since the ZoneLabs days and evere since I got a NAT router, I've only used it for program control since I can't find anything else that does that.

I use NAT for firewall, ZA for program control, an AV for virus interception and if any malware still intrudes I use a malware remover for that. Every other feature has always been unloaded/disabled for these programs because system resources are a precious thing. I went back to version 9 and will stay with it unless they come out with a v10 installer that REALLY doesn't install the extra stuff when you tell it not to.

John Bull Guest

Default Re: Uninstalling ZA toolbar

Quote Originally Posted by davolente View Post
    1.) Uninstall Zone Alarm Free with Clean.exe, run the removal tool <== Click here
    and Re-install the latest version of ZA Free 10.1.056.000
    As the thread refers to version ZA 10.1.065.000, why are you telling the OP to install 056 when 065 is the latest version ? I have recently installed 065 with no problems at all. I unchecked the toolbar box and did not get it. It all works perfect, went in without a single hitch.

Smile Re: ZA 10.1.065.000 - UNcheck toolbar at install has no effect, bug?

Quote Originally Posted by Tweener View Post
    Yes, I went back to version 9 and will stay with it unless they come out with a v10 installer that REALLY doesn't install the extra stuff when you tell it not to.
    Hi;

I would not recommend Downgrading to older versions of ZA or other older Security programs.

"Computers are Expensive pieces of equipment. For the same reasons that you lock your home and car (to keep others out), you need to have some type of latest version of a Firewall & Antivirus protection on your computer. There is an Arms race out there between Malware producers and Antivirus software producers. and the War Escalates Hourly.

Remaining unprotected with older versions of ZoneAlarm is a sure-fire way to become collateral damage in this war with Hackers and Malware.

Tweener Guest

@GeorgeV -

You are correct, Sir, and if I actually used the AV or firewall of ZA I would agree. But as stated, I only use the program control features as a precaution against trojan keyloggers and auto downloader/installers that might slip by my preferred anti-virus or firewall. (I've never really even needed it, but it's nice to know it's there.)

If you are reading this and use all the features of ZA, by all means go with the latest version.

innkeeper9 Guest

Default Re: Uninstalling ZA toolbar

Quote Originally Posted by davolente View Post
    Does this method retain ....
    I can't answer the personal settings but I finally found how to get rid of it in IE, hopefully without doing anything else to ZA but remove the toolbar. In IE you go to tools/manage add-ons and disable it, in Firefox you go to tools / add-ons / extensions and check and see if it is disabled. It seems to be disabled in FireFox, so maybe it is only in IE that it installs no matter what you set.

Ruth

Yes this is a bug in FREE ZONEALARM 10.1.056 ONLY.

It will be fixed in the next release.

Forum Moderator
    Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information