Thread: Toolbar has ceased working since update

jomilton Guest

Default Toolbar has ceased working since update

Since installing the latest update of the toolbar it has vanished and become just an empty grey space in my IE9 toolbars area. And it is no longer checking downloads either. rebooting didn't fix it. Neither has disabling and re enabling it.

I am using Vista with all the SPs installed, and an Acer Aspire 6920 notebook. I use Avira free antivirus. Which incidentally hates ZA and insists that I uninstall it..... When I installed Avira free 2012 it listed ZA as in incompatible software but didn't noticeably break the toolbar or firewall at that time so I don't think that's necessarily anything to do with the sudden update failure of the toolbar.

Default Re: Toolbar has ceased working since update

Same toolbar vanished problem here with ZA Security Suite 10.0.250.000 under Vista SP2 and winXP SP3, IE8 (in both OS's), no other antivirus or firewalls here, rebooting doesn't fix anything either, although downloaded files are checked fine here (under both OS's).

Should we install the new version 10.1.056.000 to fix this?

Best to troubleshoot with ZA official technical support at the link in my signature (look or the LIVE CHAT link), its free for registered users.

Please let us know how you resolved it. It may help other users browsing this section.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Short advice if you have this problem: disconnect the computer from the net, uninstall ZA, reinstall version 10.0.250.000 if you have experienced problems with the newer one, or the newer one otherwise, launch the browser, go to toolbar options, untick "enable automatic update", and connect the computer to the net. Detailed explanation below.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The newer version 10.1.056.000 had other problem here, not related to the toolbar.

I use to take system partitions backups before any major hw or sw change, since 1999 I believe, so restoring them and rebooting offline (for the reason below) was the fix for me as it is for this kind of problems. I know this is somewhat unusual but it's what I did.

If I hadn't that resource available I'd uninstall and reinstall the program as advised above, offline for the reason below. My only serious attempt to fix the issue without uninstalling anything (or restoring the system partition) was rebooting, because I didn't find any way to access any toolbar option without the toolbar configuration icon. Rebooting didn't fix anything.

Why offline? (physically disconnected from the net I mean) By default the toolbar option "automatic update" is ticked, what is convenient under normal circumstances but not if the update causes problems for whatever reason. Under XP I cannot assure it 100%, but under Vista the toolbar disappeared just after clicking "yes" to a prompt about updating it, the same day and nearly at the same hour as in XP (w/o prompt in this case). Once recovered and offline, launch the browser, go to the toolbar configuration options, untick "automatic updates", and the toolbar is safe now for going online.

I cannot assure that updating the ZA version will fix the issue, because I tried version 10.1.056.000 (in XP) after fixing the toolbar problem in v10.0.250.000 with the aforementioned method. The newer version had another problem (not related to the toolbar) so I returned to the initial situation applying the aforementioned method again.

~~offtopic~~
    Last edited by fax; November 10th, 2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: offtopic

A word of caution that I have unfortunately to keep repeating as soon as suggestions of install back old versions is given: reverting to old versions is not recommended unless as a 'very' temporary solution.

Latest version contain several important security and functionality fixes, by running an old version you cannot enjoy the same level of security. Update to latest version as soon as you can.

And most importantly you need to report issues directly to ZA technical support. They do not monitor this board. With no report no fix. Also consider that more reports they receive more likely the issue(s) are escalated to support.

Some offtopic remarks needed to go, please stick to the subject of this thread. Further offtopic remarks will be removed without further notice.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and support.

Fax
    Last edited by fax; November 10th, 2011 at 11:06 AM.

MLBFAN3636 Guest

Unhappy Re: Toolbar has ceased working since update

There has been a long list of issues with the browser toolbar with Zonealarm 10 with every version. With version 10.1.056 the same issue would occur but if you run the clean file, and the ff cleanup file that zone alarm tells you to do...version 10.1.056 works so far. But....if if you run the clean file, and ff cleanup file for the NEW version that just came out (10.1.65) the Private browser button on the toolbar is never there even after running the files ZoneAlarm tell you to run. So I'm forced to use 10.1.56 with firefox 7.

~~offtopic~~
    Last edited by fax; November 14th, 2011 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MLBFAN3636 View Post
    Private browser button on the toolbar is never there
    You may want to cross-check with official support but as far as I can see the private browser has been removed from the toolbar. This seems by design and not a bug.

They have probably realised that the feature is fully redundant with the already available feature in IE (InPrivate Browsing) and in Firefox (Private Browsing). Those seems to work perfectly fine together with ZA.

Sorry, some offtopic remarks needed to go. Not the subject of this thread.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information