Thread: Installing while offline - can it still be done?

mamfelt Guest

Default Installing while offline - can it still be done?

I prefer to install products like ZA while offline, so I am saddened by the current default of a "Setup".exe that downloads the rest from the internet.

While that might make the initial download smaller, it does not make installation safer.

In my current case - I found "Extreme Security" too much in many ways, and before I bought a new computer much too slow (i.e. load for my old 32-bit).

Anyway, today was renewal time, and buying a new version was MUCH cheaper than renewing, so I downgraded to "Internet Security" and now I cannot install without uninstalling the current version and then installing with no protection installed.

Probably, nothing will happen, BUT - Murphy's Law has taught me that these are the times when things do happen.

In short - is there a simple way to get all of the installation.exe so a installation can be done from the download without having the network active?

thx

Default Re: Installing while offline - can it still be done?

Normally as soon as you remove ZA windows firewall will be turned ON. IF not, just turn it ON. Its the only thing you need to stay safe while installing the new version. Nothing will happen.

No, its better to do it while on-line to allow ZA to setup properly for your connection.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mamfelt Guest

Default [SOLVED]: Installing while offline - can it still be done?

The random questions... will get old sometime soon...

Been experimenting.

Seems first thing the setup does when it starts is make the "Program Files" sub-directory, and create an additional sub-directory "Install" that it downloads everything too.

Once that download completes you can disconnect from the network - so there is no "net coordinated" installation - just a "regular" download.

It would seem so simple to just let the download start, regardless, and then when the actual installation is about to start to ask about "removing, disabling, whatever" if needed before starting installation.

And many thanks for the tip. I'll just do that - rely on Windows Firewall, plus my own other measures.

SOLVED: Answer: Not really. If ZA wont start, it wont start. Can try running install on different computer to get the install directory and copy that over and/or rely on Windows Firewall, external firewalls, or just good luck!

Not sure I can follow, you seem too much concerned about getting infected via Internet. You should not, right now its a very very very remote possibility, you have more chance to win the lottery.

Infections nowadays comes from web browsing not anymore passive internet listening.

mamfelt Guest

Perhaps. But my non-windows server gets "approached" more than several times a day. Not by a virus, granted, but there are still old "kits" out there.

I would rather err on the side of caution.

I guess I should have asked for the "Full Installer" link - which the program gave me, when Windows7 refused to restore my connectivity after the reboot - for whatever reason it added an invalid route (maybe because I have a second interface).

Hence: start the setup with no connectivity, wait for that to fail - copy link, download - etc..
    Not posting a link because I expect it depends on the version and I hope this will be more generic.

Been fun - and now it is done!

p.s. Really getting tired of Random questions. The logic defies me too frequently.
    Ah - third question. Finally one I can answer!

Old kits have no effects on up-to-date systems... again something from the past. No chance now. The infections routes have changed radically in the last 5 years. Relax, there is no risk involved.

Anyway, since the issue seems resolved I will revise the title thread and close it.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information