Thread: ZoneAlarm Taskbar Icon Menu

Frank Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Taskbar Icon Menu

I would like to know why the Taskbar (Tray) Icon has a menu and the other Zonealarm icons that are used as basic program shortcuts do not.

Also, is it possible to have another shortcut ZoneAlarm Icon with the menu that is in the one in the Taskbar (Tray) elsewhere - like on the desktop, for example?

Reason is this: Every so often upon booting up my Computer, the Zone Alarm Icon fails to show up in the Taskbar (Tray). Without that Icon there and it's menu, I have no way of knowing whether ZoneAlarm is loaded and doing it's thing or not.....

When this situation occurs, if I click on a Zonealarm Shortcut Icon, nothing happens - like it's dead. With the Taskbar (Tray) Icon, the Menu gave me way to see if it's running - or also gave me the option to shut it down - which I then can re-start it from a regular ZoneAlarm shortcut Icon. But, when I have no Taskbar (Tray) Icon showing, that is unavailable to me.

I always have to re-boot my Computer to get it back, and it just seems like it would be a lot easier if I had another ZoneAlarm icon with a menu in it that I could check and see if it's running, or shut just ZoneAlarm down and restart it if necessary - without having to re-boot the whole Computer to get it to where I can see that it is working......

Most all other Icons for Programs are the same whether they are in the
    Taskbar (Tray) or on the Desktop or in a Folder somewhere - so why is this one Particular Icon so unique that if you lose it, your stuck and out of business???

I tried to Copy and Paste the Taskbar (Tray) Icon to the Desktop, but it
    does not allow that to happen. How do you copy a Taskbar (Tray) Icon to somewhere else anyway???

If I had another Icon like the One in the Taskbar (Tray) that has the same menu in it, then this would not be a problem, unless it also failed to load at startup. Seems to me there should be an easy solution to this situation.
    I was going to ask this in a Previous related Thread, but the few I saw that were close to this subject were closed.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice regarding this thread......

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Taskbar Icon Menu

Exact version of ZA used? ZA antivirus, ZA suite, ZA extreme? version 7? 8? 9? 10? Version 10? Version 10.1.... System OS? XP? windows 7?
    Not seen the icon can be a serious issue and running ZA from the desktop is not a good idea.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Frank Guest

Sorry, I guess I shouild have included that information - here it is:

Zonealarm Version: 9.2.106.000
    TrueVector Security engine version: 9.2.106.000
    Driver Version: 9.2.035.000
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.265.2
    Windows XP SP3 - Up-To-Date
    Microsoft Security Essentials AntiVirus Installed and Running

I do not want to run ZoneAlarm from the Desktop - would just like to be able to put an Icon there that has the same Right Click Menu as the one in the Taskbar (Tray) - as opposed to the Properties - Standard Windows XP Menu you get when you Right Click any other ZoneAarm Icon wherever it happens to be located: Start-Programs-ZoneAlarm or on the Desktop or anywhere else...

Thanks...
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 2nd, 2011 at 07:20 AM.

Frank Guest

Post Re: ZoneAlarm Taskbar Icon Menu

Would just like to be able to put an Icon there that has the same Right Click Menu as the one in the Taskbar (Tray)

OK, So it has been highlighted, now what?? Can I please get an answer to my question???

Sorry what you want is not really possible, this is for ZA and in general for any other applications.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Sorry,

What you are asking for in the Hi-lighted portion is not possible with Zone Alarm as explained by Guru Fax..

You could create a Shortcut icon on the Desktop (Not Recomended)
    But it will not have the same Right Click Menu as the one in the Taskbar (Tray)

Have you looked at other FREE Firewall programs, maybe one of the other alternatives have the feature that you want?
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 3rd, 2011 at 11:52 AM.

Frank Guest

Geez, that is so strange. I guess I'm gonna have to find out what is so special about an Icon being in the Taskbar that has features that the same icon in any other place does not. Maybe Microsoft will tell me - seeing as how that I presume it is their software that is doing this. I'll have to ask my Uncle-in-Law Bill, maybe he can shed some light on it.

I do know that with software you can do anything imaginable, so why that is a problem I will be getting the information for and the solution to. When I do, I will post it so everyone else can use the information to make their stuff work better for them. I guess the question I will be asking is what the taskbar has in it that anywhere else in the System does not. Seems like it can't be all that difficult to provide a solution for.

Thanks for your help guys, will be back at ya after I get this hashed out with the guy that made this what it is today.....

Thread Information