Thread: [SOLVED] 10.1.065 AV/AS not updating & no errors--> Imported Settings

peter_b Guest

Post [SOLVED] 10.1.065 AV/AS not updating & no errors--> Imported Settings

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 10.1.065.000
    (license key omitted)
    vsmon version: 10.1.065.000
    Driver version: 10.1.065.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1065436960 <- this is old, should be in excess of 10656xxxxx etc.
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.350.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.350.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

Hi
    I've just upgraded two pc (one WinXP Pro SP3, one Win7 Pro) to 10.1.065 using my current 3 pc subscription. I notice that *neither* pc has updated AV sigs since their upgrade was done (4 and 5 days ago). Each pc was ugraded by clean install, removing v. 9.3.037 first. A manual update simply says 100% update complete but the AV DAT file should be newer than I have ... it's just not downloading / installing newer DAT files. There are no error messages whatsoever.
    I'm set to 24 hour updates on both pcs and scheduled tasks shows the last update to be the date of installation and next update is always incremented to the next day as expected but it isn't ACTUALLY happening. Any ideas ?
    I'd be truly grateful for advice, many thanks

Pete B.

Default Re: 10.1.065 AV/AS not updating & no errors either !

24h is way too much asn suboptimal, you will be late of thousands of virus with such frequency. Antivirus receives updates between 30 minutes and 2 hours. Go to scheduler and reduce the frequency to 30 minutes. Now wait a day then....

Go to tools --> logs --> Log control --> View log --> paste it here.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; December 4th, 2011 at 08:09 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

peter_b Guest

Question Re: 10.1.065 AV/AS not updating & no errors either !

Fax: thanks for the suggestion, it is being implemented now and set to hourly, I will keep the forum posted.
    Doesn't it still seem strange though that also a 'manual' request for an AV update does not work ?

thanks, Pete B.

Probably an issue with your Internet Service Provider and their use of transparent proxy cache. Or a local issue of proxy. Double check that under your internet options preferences you do not use proxies. Using any VPN connection? This could also be an issue.

All the above can explain the absence of errors. The antivirus servers are working fine and ZA updating without problems so absence of update (or better saying no new update) can only be explained by a local issue.

Thanks,
    Fax

peter_b Guest

Question Re: 10.1.065 AV/AS not updating & no errors either !

Fax, thanks for the insight once again. I appreciate your reasoning, given the obvious fact that others can freely update their AV signatures, it would on the face of it be likely to be a 'local' issue.
    There is no proxy in use by myself and I will have to investigate the idea of a transparent proxy by my ISP but bearing in mind I've had the same ISP for several years and no issues with ZASS 9.3.037, this issue only arising on the v 10.1.065 upgrade ... it does seem unlikely.

I have checked if ZASS does try to actually connect to a server on clicking update ... it does but instantly the connection closes (this is using Sysinternals TCPView) ... this is weird. The TCPView (if you are familiar with it) entry is ...

zatray.exe:4224 TCP windowsxp-main:2202 209.87.211.146:https CLOSING

... my suspicion is that the server used to serve v 10 AV updates is not the same IP as used for version 9 AV updates. I backed up and restored my settings from v 9 to v 10 (no apparent issues at the time) but maybe an old IP has been carried over ???

thanks Pete B.

Uuhhm, very confusing. Previous version, settings, tcpview... Etc...

At this point its better you contact directly the official support at the link in my signature. Its free for registered users. We are all users here.

This will ensure a proper troubleshooting, follow-up and possibility to ask for refund, if applicable.

Please let us know how you have resolved it. It may help other user with the same problem.

Thanks,
    Fax

peter_b Guest

Cool Re: 10.1.065 AV/AS not updating & no errors either !

Fax: yes, I too think this has got to go to Checkpoint's official support now. I'm grateful for your support in this forum and appreciate your time and effort.
    I will post back when I get a resolution (hopefully) from Checkpoint / ZA. Meanwhile, it would be interesting to know how many others have backed up / restored settings when upgrading from v 9 to v 10 and IF it is the case, have also suffered a similar fate ...

all the best, I'll be back

Pete B.

No one have reported this issue and I doubt that settings can govern IPs to connect to. In any case it is easy to test. Remove fully your current version and install ZA 10 with default settings. If you have an issues of conenction you will see it at the first manual update after install. It is normally advisable when moving to major product revisions (i.e. from 9 to 10 line).

Thanks,
    Fax

peter_b Guest

Smile Re: 10.1.065 AV/AS not updating & no errors either !

OK, back as promised and this issue is now FIXED

I contacted ZA support, they did their best to help and suggested a complete removal / clean install (exactly what I would expect as a baseline for diagnosis) and inclusion of ZA update servers into the trusted zone. However I didn't really want to go down this road because I have been around ZA for few years and these latest installs were clean installs anyway ... I have always done clean installs across major version numbers in any case ( btw, also as Fax suggests)

In actual fact, I discovered the reason for the problem and how to fix was as follows ...

I had imported my v9 settings into my v10 clean installs in both cases. My original v9 was setup to have automatic product update OFF. Importing this to v10 appears to have the effect (probably as expected) of product update still remaining off ... but there are now 'side effects' :
    1. In the update window, the product update information is not present and the AV signatures just flashes to 100% without actually downloading ... connection is made but immediately closes.
    2. No amount of toggling product update on/off in scheduled tasks will actually do that, even if it appears to !

To fix, simply use the default reset (next to the backup and restore buttons in preferences). Reboot, then apply all your original settings manually.

The AV now updates and the product update info appears below it in the update window, whereas it was ALWAYS absent before, regardless of the product update setting in scheduled tasks.

Finally I suspect that had product updates been ON in v9, then imported into v10, that this issue would never have arisen. ZA support had never seen it before and ZA development have been informed.

If it helps anyone else ... then that's even better.

cheers

Pete B.

Thank you for the detailed explanations. Very useful. I will revise the thread title and close the thread since the issue is resolved.

Thread Information