Thread: [SOLVED] What is npFFapi Firefox plugin? --> related to ZA and checking of websites

Default [SOLVED] What is npFFapi Firefox plugin? --> related to ZA and checking of websites

In Firefox 8.0.1, I see an add-on plug-in called npFFApi with no identifying label for itself in the Firefox add-on window. Several individuals have however suggested that it is in fact part of the Zone Alarm suite.

On the other hand, the Firefox add-on extension called Zone Alarm Security Engine comes with a positively identifying label for Zone Alarm. It says "By www.checkpoint.com" (I believe checkpoint.com is part of the Zone Alarm network).

Since the add-on "Zone Alarm Security Engine" actively identifies itself as being from www.checkpoint.com, I am not sure I trust an add-on like npFFApi that doesn't identify itself at all.

Does anyone know for a fact what npFFApi is? Can someone help us understand what's going on here? Thanks.
    Last edited by rickola; December 5th, 2011 at 04:42 AM.

Default Re: What is the npFFapi Firefox plugin?

Best to check with ZA staff directly at their technical support. Link to support is in my signature. We are all users here.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I just did an online chat with Zone Alarm. They confirm that npFFapi is indeed related to Zone Alarm. It checks web sites to see if they are safe.

As to the question of why the "Zone Alarm Security Engine" Firefox add-on identifies itself whereas the "npFFapi" add-on has no identifying label and leaves the user completely clueless as to what it is (unlike every other Firefox add-on I have, which includes some identifying text besides the add-on name!), he had no idea.

Excellent, thank you very much for taking the time to report back. I will revise the thread title to hint to the explanation and close it.

Do not hesitate to PM in case you need to add any further information on the subject and will reopen it. Otherwise feel free to open a new thread for any other ZA product related issues you may have.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information