Thread: [SOLVED] Firewall zones and program control issues --> Reinstall ZA

Hybrid View

Mjoberg Guest

Default [SOLVED] Firewall zones and program control issues --> Reinstall ZA

Hi. I'm running ZA Free Firewall 10.1.065.000 on a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit host and cannot save settings. Description:
    • ZA Icon -> right click -> Show Monitor
    • COMPUTER (tab)-> Basic Firewall
    • Advanced Settings button
    • View Zones "horizontal tab"
    • Add >> button -> Subnet
      • Trusted
      • Home LAN
    • OK button
    • Now these settings are nicely shown in the View Zones tab
    • Trying to save these settings by pressing the OK button (hence in the Firewall Settings panel)
    • Nothing happens (upon pressing the button becomes blue, but settings are not saved and the program does not return to the COMPUTER tab of the main window.
    • The same behavior is seen when selecting View Zones directly from the Basic Firewall field.
    • There are more problems...
    • Going to the Application Control settings -> View Programs -> Add button, I can browse to and select C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe.
    • Upon clicking on the browser widget's Open button, I expected the java executable to turn up in the Application Control window, but is remaining completely empty (white fields are completely white)
    • I don't see any natural way of running the "Show Monitor" program as administrator.
    • I have user account control turned on.
    Any tips? I guess i'm the only one facing this problem.

Regards,
    Gunanr

Default Re: Cannot save settings

Can you list what you have in the ZA zones? You are trying to add a network to the zones but, as far as I know, if you are not connected to it it will not be visible and if you are connected to it than it should be already there.

Entries are white? Can you post a screenshot?

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: Firewall zones and program control issues

Additionally any other full time protection maybe causing issues, especially if they provide some networking or firewalling type of security or even simple email scanning.

Your issue maybe fixed with a reset of the ZA's database.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Mjoberg Guest

Default Re: Cannot save settings

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Can you list what you have in the ZA zones? You are trying to add a network to the zones but, as far as I know, if you are not connected to it it will not be visible and if you are connected to it than it should be already there.

Entries are white? Can you post a screenshot?

Fax
    No, I don't see an option to add an attachment here and I do not have access to a web server where I can publish that screenshot.

The Firewall Settings window navigated to from Basic Firewall -> View Settings has two "horizontal tabs": Advanced and View Zones. The View Zones tab is completely white with the exception of the headers. You can add zones and they turn up nicely, but nothing happens when you press the OK button, regardless of whether you have entered anything or not. You can not close that window other than by X-ing it away. So my problem is the OK button. Nothing happens at any time when clicking it.

Thanks for bothering,

Gunnar, Stockholm

Then your ZA databases are corrupted and you may need to reset them. Go to tools --> preferences --> Reset to defaults --> Reboot the PC

Mjoberg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Then your ZA databases are corrupted and you may need to reset them. Go to tools --> preferences --> Reset to defaults --> Reboot the PC
    Tried to reset to defaults and got
    There was an error saving your changes. Please try again.
    Could not identify the file being the database, so I reinstalled and now everything works, including a "View Zones"-populated tab.

Thanks for great support.

Gunnar

I am glad to hear your issue is resolved. Thank you very much for the repoting on how you resolved it. It was indeed a deep corruption of your ZA.

Since the issue is resolved I will close this thread and revise the title accordingly.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information