Thread: "You are Protected/Questions? We're here to help."

Hybrid View

jclarkw Guest

Default "You are Protected/Questions? We're here to help."

This is a trivial but annoying issue: Almost every time I log onto my Windows XP SP3 computer, ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 10.1.065 throws up a "spash" window saying, "You are Protected/Questions? We're here to help," that I have to close before proceeding. In most other programs such splash screens either disappear after the software finishes loading or have a check box to prevent their subsequent appearance. In this case you would think the little blue 'tray' icon would be enough to reassure me.

Does this annoying window have any real purpose?
    Is there any way from preventing its appearance?
    Last edited by jclarkw; December 30th, 2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: minor correction

jclarkw Guest

Default Re: "You are Protected/Questions? We're here to help."

OK, now I see another similar thread (http://forums.zonealarm.org/showthread.php?t=78328) that I missed in my first search. No real answers there though...

Smile Re: "You are Protected/Questions? We're here to help."

Hi;

sorry we are all users here, If you have a valid ZA license
    Please click on the Support link in my Signature then click on the LIVE CHAT Link at the top Left side of the SUPPORT page and troubleshoot the issue with Technical Support.

how often you get these pop-up? Everytime you boot? Or only few times? I think I saw the message twice or three times during the last few months of use. You may want to check with official support if this is by design.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; December 30th, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I saw it once in every of my two OS's (Vista and XP multiboot computer with 10.0.250 version of ZAISS installed in each for the time being), by about the same date, possibly close to 2011-12-22 when the newest version 10.1.079 was released, although I wasn't aware about that then. Could it be the message to update turned into that by some issue?

I didn't gave it importance but days later I discovered the release of the mentioned new version and I updated (flawlessly) to it. I saw the same message once (in each OS) just after installing the update. Seems intended for that exact occasion no?

My points:

1. Updating to v10.1.079 could fix the problem and is advisable anyway.
    2. There could be a problem in previous versions messing up the "new version available" and "welcome" messages.

jclarkw Guest

Quote Originally Posted by factor View Post
    1. Updating to v10.1.079 could fix the problem and is advisable anyway.

Updating (recommended by tech support) didn't solve the problem for me, nor did resetting TrueVector service (if I did that correctly on a multi-user-account machine. Still working with them and will report back if solution found. -- jclarkw

Maybe this might work.In your browser click Toolbar options for the Community Toolbar.Disable all Notification Settings.Have not being annoyed since.Make sure to change settings with Virtualization Off if using ZAES.Then Turn On after changes.

From Notifications FAQ :

Notifications are instant announcements that appear right on your desktop. When we send out the latest news to our entire community, you can receive it because you installed our Community Toolbar.

Notifications FAQ link :

http://alert.client.conduit.com/Alerts/Faq/?aid=1037922

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; January 5th, 2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added link, typo

jclarkw Guest

Quote Originally Posted by factor View Post
    2. There could be a problem in previous versions messing up the "new version available" and "welcome" messages.

Question: When you experienced the pop-up window, were you running as 'limited-user?'

With the help of tech support I THINK I have determined that the 'splash window' appears only when I log on as a 'limited user.' The tech suggested that there might a one-time "switch" somewhere that should prevent its recurrance after the first time (maybe in each account?) but that a 'limited user' might not have permissions to access the changed "switch." The VERY SCARY statement was also made that "development would normally state that our software may not work in a limited due to permission issues." If true, this is in direct conflict with Microsoft's strong recommendation to normally run from a 'limited' account!

The tech said he would ask 'development' some of these questions about ZAES in 'limited' accounts and get back to me. More later, I hope...

Thread Information