Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] I was running ZAES 9.3.037 version

rmspc Guest

Unhappy [SOLVED] I was running ZAES 9.3.037 version

A few weeks I installed the latest version of ZAES. I was running 93.037. The new version runs vsmom everytime I open any file from my hard drive and I have to sit and wait for it to use up over 50% of on CPU until it does what ever it does. Getting on the internet now takes forever because of vsmom using all the CPU. Even as I write this post vsmom is taking 60% - 75% of the CPU at random periods. I have look all over the new ZAES startup window and can not find what version I now have. Where do I found out what version I have. I want to erase this new and unimproved version and reinstall the old 93.037. version.

Default Re: Version ?

Probably just a bad upgrade. Try to fully remove ZA and re-install the latest version with default settings.

If you are not sure how to do it, its best you contact directly ZA technical support at the link in my signature (we are all users here). The live chat support is free for registered users. They will guide you on the resolving the issue. Explain well to them what is happening.

Please note that ZA 9 is outdated and not supported anymore, better to switch to another product than keep running an old security tool. Also you reported problems with latest version 9 last time, are they resolved now? Would be nice to feedback users here when problem are resolved and how.

For a clean install of the latest version the safest procedure is the following:

1. Download the latest version
    Looking for the latest version? <== click here

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs)

3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

4. Clean your system and registry withthe Free Ccleaner.exe
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim

5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, now reboot after running ZA Removal tool.

6. Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings.
    and Do Not restore any saved ZA Setting from old ZA version.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; January 4th, 2012 at 11:11 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

rmspc Guest

Default Re: I was running ZAES 9.3.037 version

I did the steps as in post 2. The vsmon stopped taking the cpu, but the antivirius will not let me schedule any automatic scans or updates and the parental filter will not install. Both of these items worked on the ZASS before.

Quote Originally Posted by rmspc View Post
    I did the steps as in post 2. The vsmon stopped taking the cpu, but the antivirius will not let me schedule any automatic scans or updates and the parental filter will not install. Both of these items worked on the ZASS before.
    Hi;

Thank you for your feedback..

Could you give us more information about your computer?

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer and Software that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Give the Exact Type and version of Windows and Service pack Update used, Browser type and version, other security tools installed and version .

CPU size and Speed
    How much Ram Memory on the computer
    also is this a DeskTop, Laptop computer or Netbook.

this information is also needed to show if your computer meets the minimum requirements for Zone Alarm 10.1
    Note: "Windows XP Media Center Edition" is not Officially Supported by Zone Alarm.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 12th, 2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: updated
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

You need to complete all steps... "step2" only removes ZA from the system.

rmspc Guest

I did all 6 steps as stated in post 2.

My PC information:
    Dell Dimension DM051 Desktop
    CPU: Pentium D, 2.80 GHZ
    3 GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4350 video card
    Hard Drive: 70 GB with 20 GB free space
    Windows XP Media Center Edition
    Service Pack 3

Then.... can you describe exactly what you do for rescheduling antivirus updates and the error that you receive?

And...what is the error when you try to install the parental control?

(A sidenote, ZA does not official support windows XP MCE (Media Center Edition) but this is valid for both 9 and 10.)

Are you running as administrator in XP?
    Any other security tool installed?

Thanks,
    Fax

I did all 6 steps as stated in post 2.

My PC information:
    Dell Dimension DM051 Desktop
    CPU: Pentium D, 2.80 GHZ
    3 GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4350 video card
    Hard Drive: 70 GB with 20 GB free space
    Windows XP Media Center Edition
    Service Pack 3

Thank you for your partial answer to my request for information..

I agree with Guru fax,

Note: "Windows XP Media Center Edition" is not Officially Supported by Zone Alarm,
    It may work correctly for a few lucky ZA Users but officially it is not supported due to un-supported OS.

one of the reasons is that on Win XP MCE ("Media Center Edition") is an intricate part of the Windows XP OS, where as on Vista and Windows 7, Media Center is a separate program and not an intricate part of the OS..

Here is a possible explanation for the 50% or more VSmon activity.

Running applications that keep a constant internet connection open will create extra cycles to be used for ZA. Your basically constantly pushing data through ZA that it has to analyze so there will be more resources used and 50% and more is not unusual with these types of applications.

Its always been this way with ZA its just how the ZA core technology works and it nothing that can be changed or fixed because its working as designed.

Best advise don't run these kinds of apps all the time.

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by GeorgeV; January 12th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

rmspc Guest

On the ZA main window the computer window, left most rectangle of the 3 rectangles, shows a button stating the computer is at risk. Opening the computer window it states the antivirius scan and updates are not scheduled. Going to the scheduling pulldown tab I get a screen, antivirius settings, showing the status and dates and times to start the scheduled scans /updates. Next to each item there is a blank field with a down arrow to the right. I click on the arrow and can select or unselect to activate the scan/update. I click on the select and the blank field shows the item is now activated. When I go back to the computer window it still shows the computer is at risk. I go back to the antivirius settings screen and all the items show a blank field in the select or unselect button.

On the computer window the parental controls show it is not installed. To the right of the screen there is the word install. I click on the word install and nothing happens.

Definitively a bad install. Its difficult to understand if it is due to the inability of ZA to write files and permission correctly on the system or due to old left overs. The behaviour could be also related to malware infections. Any virus or similar recently?

I would first boot the system selectively (i.e. only with ZA and OS applications/services). This way:

1.) Click Start
    2.) Type MSConfig in the search box and click ENTER
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZATray and forcefield
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the General tab.

- Proceed with the removal of ZA from XP add/remove programs. Reboot
    - Save the clean.exe (ZA removal tool) on the desktop, right click on it and select "run as administrator", reboot
    - Manually search the system for "checkpoint" folder in programs folder and application data folder (this one is hidden in XP --> C:\Documents and settings\Loginid\Application Data) you will need to show all files/folder in the system to remove it.
    - Also check for ZA 9 left overs. See here: I cannot find or run the ZoneAlarm uninstall program (XP/2000). This is to remove system32 files, zonealarm and zonelabs folder.
    ** You may need to boot in SAFE MODE in case you cannot remove the files.
    - Again clean the registry with ccleaner
    - Reboot

Always with this selective startup (only ZA and system) try to install again latest ZAX 10.1.079.000. Ensure this is the version you are installing.

Any better results?
    Last edited by fax; January 12th, 2012 at 07:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information