I've been reading this forum, alot, regarding the problems most people have had with ZA 10 and vsmon.exe utilizing high volumes of CPU. Mainly because I also was having the same problem.

I tried the mod Fax's suggestion four times and still had the same problem. So rather than doing a clean uninstall of ZA and removing programs and applications that conflicted with ZA and its components, I opted to use the XP Pro CD and reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS. After installing SP3, and updating and patching all of MS's components, I installed ZA 10.1.065.000, and guess what?

It still hijacked my CPU making that machine totally unresponsive.

No, I didn't change any of ZA's default settings.

No, I did not let MS install its own anti-spyware apps.

But on uninstalling ZA 10, and reinstalling 9.3.037.000, ZoneAlarm behaves normally. No High-CPU utilization. It runs normally and I can use my computer now.

Now for the twist ...

I bought a new computer (
AMD Athlon II X3 455, 3.30Ghz
8Gb RAM
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (SP1)
}

The computer came to me barebones, which means I had to install the OS myself ... no problem, since I work on/with computers and software for a living.

After installing SP1 to W7 and all the patches and updates, again I installed ZA 10.1 {
ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.1.065.000
ZoneAlarm license key:
vsmon version: 10.1.065.000
Driver version: 10.0.217.000
Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1077130240
ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.350.0
}

Now, on this new system, VSMON.exe does not utilize all the CPU. Rather ZA uses ALL the RAM, with the exception of 400Meg. Someone help me with the math here, but that looks something like 4% remaining RAM.

So I reboot the computer, and on returning to the desktop, ZA looks fine, but I notice the RAM utilization is slowly increasing. After an hour ZA has again taken all my RAM. Only this time I turn off ZA (exit), and after approximately 5 minutes, all but 1.4G of RAM is released. So I turn ZA back on, and again slowly my RAM utilization starts increasing until again after an hour its all used up.

My question is, is there any kind of tweeking I can do to get ZA to STOP using all my RAM (on my new machine), and to STOP using all my CPU on my older XP Pro machines (assuming I still want the headache of reinstalling and running V10)?