Thread: [SOLVED] Programs blocked access: WIN7 64 - ZASS 10.1.079.000, first install

Default [SOLVED] Programs blocked access: WIN7 64 - ZASS 10.1.079.000, first install

Now that the Remember function has finally been restored, I uninstalled my old Zonealarm v9.x, ran CCleaner and clean.exe from the ZA site, and installed v10.1.079.000.

However, the ZA Firewall is blocking everything. I also have 10.1.079.000 on my laptopwith the same OS, and although settings are identical, all my internet apps (browser, games, etc) are being blocked, with the firewall log registering all the blocked access attempts.

I can get to my LAN computers without issue. Zones, and their settings are the same as in my laptop. I remvoed teh Zones and entered my DHCP server - with corret IP - as Trusted, but everythign still gets blocked.

My Firewall settings are:
    Public Zone: High
    Trusted Zone: Medium

I also cleared the Application Control programs list and started from scratch. Even program that I manually give access to are still blocked. Even to post this, I have to run my ZA Firewall off.

ipconfig /all still gives all the usually router info, and I can still get to my router GUI without a problem. No router settings have been altered.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Default Re: Fresh 10.1.079.000 install.. but Firewall blocks all internet..

- OS version? XP? VISTA? WIN7?
    - What you mean everything gets blocked? Examples?
    - How do you connect to internet? Attached to a router? 3G modem?
    - WIFI connected? if yes, do you use the WIFI router software to connect? Or the native windows drivers (Windows Zero Configuration (WZC))?
    - What other security tools are installed? List exact versions.
    - Right click the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> copy --> paste it in new reply.
    - After removing ZA did you turn ON the windows firewall?
    - Did you inspect the ZA firewall logs (firewall, OSfirewall, program), anything been recorded there?
    - DHCP data should have been added at install automatically, was it the case? Why you had to install it manually?
    - Did you install ZA while connected to internet? Or not?
    - Have you tried to reset the ZA settings (ZA tools --> preferences --> reset to default) and reboot the PC.
    Last edited by fax; January 31st, 2012 at 02:48 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.
    No other active tools running, none other than CCleaner run between uninstall/install.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 10.1.079.000
    ZoneAlarm license key: DO NOT POST YOUR LICENSE KEY
    vsmon version: 10.1.079.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1077852896
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4973
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.350.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.350.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

I did not start Windows Firewall between removing 9.x and installing 10.x. rather, i unplugged my ethernet.

My ZA firewall logs DO list the programs that re being blocked.

When i looked, the DHCP server was not listed, so I added it. I also removed the one i put in and restarted my machine, but it was put in.. i assume this is a symptom of my problem, as I've never had to manually add it in the past.

Resetting to defaults did not work.

thank you for the quick reply.
    Last edited by fax; January 31st, 2012 at 02:49 AM.

Weird, your ZA seems updated (antivirus DAT). So it seems that ZA can connect without problems. So, what is blocked and why?

- Can you post the ZA firewall logs? What is blocked?

Can you specify the way you connect to internet? See my previous message. [- How do you connect to internet? Attached to a router? 3G modem?
    - WIFI connected? if yes, do you use the WIFI router software to connect? Or the native windows drivers (Windows Zero Configuration (WZC))?]

Thanks,
    Fax

I connect to a DIR-655 router using a cat6 cable, then to a Cisco Shaw cable modem.

Both my laptop and my roommates' computer, both running this same ZA version - work fine.

Yes, ZA updates just fine.

The items that are being block are MSI Afterburner, Utorrent, Opera, Origin, and Firefox. I should note that I'm not getting ZA permission windows popping up.

I just had a look-see at my Application control, and everything listed only has a question mark for its' permission level. I manually permit Opera, but access still gets blocked...

Ok, thanks! Then its a bad ZA install (application control corrupted). So we need to do some house keeping on the PC before trying a clean install.

1. First remove ZASS from windows 7 control panel --> uninstall a program
    2. Reboot of the PC needed
    3. Ensure that Windows 7 firewall is ON and do NOT disconnect from the internet. All operations need to be done while fully connected to the internet.
    3. Save on your desktop the ZA removal tool and run it.
    4. Reboot needed
    5. Time to hunt for ZA 9 left overs manually. How do I manually remove Zonealarm from Windows Vista X64 and Windows 7 X64
    (in the above document various folders and files for ZA9 are mentioned, please fully remove them from the PC, if found).
    6. Time to hunt for ZA10 files/folder. Look for "checkpoint" folders in the "program files" folder and "program data" folder (probably X86 too).
    7. Now download a fresh installer of ZASS 10. You find it here:
    Looking for the latest version?
    8. With your PC fully connected to the internet install ZASS 10.

Before point 8 you may want to clean your registry with ccleaner and also run a clean on your temp files.

Considering your setup (router + cable modem) you may need to add to the ZA firewall zones (as TRUSTED) the DNS IPs that you can get from the command "IPCONFIG /ALL"

DO NOT touch any default settings in ZA except the ones suggested above.

Cross your fingers.... and let us know!
    Last edited by fax; January 31st, 2012 at 03:36 AM.

Default Re: Programs blocked access: WIN7 64 - ZASS 10.1.079.000, first install

Ah, that did it!

Actually, after the uninstall adn making sure the OS firewall was runngin, i got a 0x80070424 error, and had to grab some .reg files, mess with soem permissions, etc. to get it runnign again. Maybe this was the problem the whole time - and the one cause I was able to quickly find did not apply to me. Weird.

But no matter, it's now fixed.

Thank you very much! A big hug for you, Mr. Fax!

Default Re: Programs blocked access: WIN7 64 - ZASS 10.1.079.000, first install

You're welcome!
    I am really glad to hear you have managed to resolve the issue.

Thank you very much for taking the time to report back. I will revise the thread title and close it since the problem is resolved.

Thread Information