Thread: [SOLVED] Public Zone Security Problem --> Not ZA related, OS firewall driver broken

mittens Guest

Default [SOLVED] Public Zone Security Problem --> Not ZA related, OS firewall driver broken

Hopefully someone can help me with this; I have searched around on the forums and haven't found anyone with quite the same problem as far as i can tell.
    Until recently I could connect to the internetz fine with 'Public Zone security' set to high, but now it must be set to 'Medium' (and on 'Medium' everything i have tested works fine: firefox, online games, security updates etc).
    I started using ZA 10 more or less when it was rolled out, and have had no probs until now.
    Im not sure what changed-it may have been an automatic update that I didn't notice. My computer did glitch out around the time it started stuffing up, but it was a while before I realised that ZA was angry, so it is possibly coincidental. Everything else works fine.
    Strangely, App control no longer blocks outgoing programs (nor asks if a new app tries to connect) as well, tho im not sure is because of the loosened 'Public zone' security, or a concurrent, independent problem.
    I run a tiny network on a modem/router, with no need for any resource or file sharing beyond net access. My other computers (also running ZA 10.1.079.000) still connect fine with no setting changes.

Firewall Settings:
    'Public Zone security' Med (would like this to be high)
    'Trusted Zone security' Med (as above)
    network and dhcp server are as they were pre stuff-up

App Control:
    'Network firewall' Max (but no alerts are coming thru, nor are new programs being added to the program list at all. On reinstall, 14 basic connectivity programs appear on the list, some 'Trusted', some 'Ask'. AVG and Adaware are there too, set to 'Ask', and both programs run fine)
    Edit: its up to 23 programs now (after four or so days since last reinstall), none of which look evil, all set to 'Ask'.
    'DefenseNet' Manual
    'Microsoft Catalog Utilization' Off

I have tried:
    -Reinstalling ZA with varying levels of removal (from the presumably automatic removal that is built in now through to manual removal, http://bit.ly/A8302s. I realise this is an outdated site, but i used very recent removal tools and couldn't find a manual approach that was better). Result: situation unchanged.
    -Adding various programs to the allowed list manually (set to 'Trusted'). Result: nothing connected.
    -Going to an ip address rather than a url. Result:
    -Changing the subnet (so ZA thinks it's a new network).
    -Changing my routers ip back and forth. Result: ZA detected the gateway change fine, and updated to match it.
    -Various combinations of settings with 'Public Zone security' set to high. Result: PZS high kills my connection to the net under all circumstances.

Using:
    A Desktop
    Windows 7
    AVG Free 2012.0.1913
    ZoneAlarm Free Firewall version: 10.1.079.000
    vsmon version: 10.1.079.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000

~~snip~~
    Last edited by fax; February 18th, 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Offtopic

Default Re: Public Zone Security Problem

This issue may be very difficult to troubelshoot unless in front of the PC. Everything goes back on what has changed in the system to break ZA? This may have been a software that broken windows, malware infection, crash, registry corruption, etc... there could be hundred of different causes.

Go to ZA tools --> Preferences --> Push on "reset to defaults" --> Reboot the PC.

Results? Not working? Then list exactly how you connect to internet (router? 3G, cable, ADSL, etc), how your network is setup in win7 and paste a screenshot of your ZA firewall zones.

Please note that some of the settings you have applied to program control are dangerous and if permsission mistake is made it can break the system or ZA. Just keep defaults, they are the best compromise to avoid problems and maximise security.

Looking for another firewall? Just google "free firewalls" and you will be proposed with many different free solutions. Sorry this is offtopic for this board, we just deal with ZA product related issue not a discussion board on firewalls.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; February 19th, 2012 at 01:53 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mittens Guest

Thanks for the reply, Fax.
    Re causes: very true. The problem may go well beyond ZA. As ZA is the only process i have found to be effected tho I'd like like to rule it out before reinstalling windows (or finding a new firewall and simply hoping that something fundamental hasn't blown).
    No joy with the reset

My Zones:
    Network 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 Network Trusted
    DHCP Server 192.168.1.1 IP Address Trusted

My network:
    I connect using an ADSL router (wired, not that i expect it makes a difference). IP Address is 192.168.1.1; Subnet 255.255.255.0

Working Machine: IP Address 192.168.1.5; Subnet 255.255.255.0; Gateway 192.168.1.1

Sad Machine: IP Address 192.168.1.2; Subnet 255.255.255.0; Gateway 192.168.1.1

Not that I'm disagreeing, but I'm wondering how maxing program control settings are dangerous? Ive been using them for quite some time and Ive generally been able to work it out when something important needs to get through, and its easy to fix if you block or unblock something accidentally. The manual outbound control is the main reason i like ZA (also, just to be clear: I havent changed these settings (or even added anything to the list) for a couple of weeks leading up the stuffup).

Re new firewall finding: Fair enough, tho quantity isn't the problem

Firewall zone settings looks good. Go to windows start --> type firewall in the search box. Run "windows firewall" and double check its not turned ON.
    With your setup, having the ZA public zone security to high or medium has no influence. Your router in front will anyway rejected unsolicitied incoming calls. You can easily test with any firewall test (e.g. shield up at grc.com). Of course, I don't see why it should not work both ways.

Program control is delicate. With your settings, any new update to the system or programs may trigger a ZA pop-up, depending on how you answer you can easily break the system or the programs. For example, AVG to "ask"? It is your first line of defense, it should be set to allow. If you do not trust AVG you should not have it in the system. Microsoft not trusted? Its the basis of your system, if you do not trust the OS you should shift to alternative OS. In both cases not trusting is not going to improve your security.
    Last edited by fax; February 19th, 2012 at 03:24 AM.

mittens Guest

Cripes... I would never have considered Windows Firewall as a possible problem, but something is quite twisted up in there... cant even turn it on and off. Ill have to look into it. Thanks for the tip!

AVG isn't normally set to ask, its just like that after the various resets and reinstalls (same with the other important ones), and the setting doesn't seem to matter anymore (be it ask, deny or allow)

The best to do is to first remove ZA (win7 --> Uninstall a program).
    Then after reboot you should try to fix the system.

This site can help (may be):
    http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Once you have fixed the OS, turn ON windows firewall and only then install ZA, keep it at default to check everything works.

Fax

mittens Guest

So Ive managed to fix the major problem, but its been replaced by a couple of minor ones:
    I was getting a 0x80070424 Error whenever i tried to access windows firewall settings (or even if trying to turn it off/on). It wasnt even appearing in the windows services list. I tried to repair it using the Fixit, but it kept stalling at some point with an error to the effect of "Zone alarm is still here". I tried in safe mode, with ZA fully scrubbed off (as much as possible anyway-same methods as before) with the same error.
    I also tried various windows self repair options that failed.
    A bit more searching on the web coughed up a registry fix: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...9-281c58262d61
    :I tried this as the only alternative seems to be a full Windows reinstall. However, it seems to have worked nicely to restore windows firewall. Net access was fine with WF up, so i reinstalled ZA. ZA now works fine on high Public security.

Unfortunately, Program control is still acting oddly. Everything is fine on Min program control, but on higher settings some things get blocked without a popup, and other things that i have denied have trusted access (nothing seriously malwarish, just test cases). Resets and reinstalls dont help.

I havent searched the forums for a solution yet, and this probably constitutes a new problem. Is the protocol to start a new thread (assuming i cant fix it on my own)?

Glad to hear your issue is resolved. I would start a new thread for the program control issue. For this one I will revise the thread title and close it. So it stays as it is for reference to other users having similar problems.

For the new thread you may open I would recommend for full details of programs and errors you are experiencing so that other users here will understand as much as possible about your problem and may come with suggestions.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information