Thread: Which ZoneAlarm Zone for a Comcast Cable Direct Connection w/o a Router?.

eecon Guest

Default Which ZoneAlarm Zone for a Comcast Cable Direct Connection w/o a Router?.

I know this has probably been asked and answered a million times, but the Search Function is not working for me here this evening, so I apologize in advance.

I believe my 8 year-old non-wireless 4-port 10/100 Air-Link cheapo router may be on the blink as my internet connectivity has become intermittent over the last week after many years of great performance. The old router only feeds one PC and a Netflix cable to my separate Blu-ray player connected to my HDTV.

As a test, I connected my PC running a clean and sterile installation of WinXP SP3 w/IE8 directly to the Comcast Arris 3.0 Internet/Phone Modem (after resetting the Arris).

Connectivity to the internet seems to be stable again, but I'm going to need a day or two of testing to be sure.

I changed my ZoneAlarm's Firewall Zone from "Trusted" to "Internet" (I'm using the latest ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v10.1.079.000) during this direct connected test.

Was such Zone change really necessary for a Comcast direct connection to the cable modem?

Thanks.

Default Re: Which ZoneAlarm Zone for a Comcast Cable Direct Connection w/o a Router?.

Double check what IP you have been assigned under the PC (IPCONFIG) and the IP that is scanned by a service like ShieldUP. Are they the same? Then the change you made is good. Are they different? Then the change made is un-necessary

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

eecon Guest

Default Re: Which ZoneAlarm Zone for a Comcast Cable Direct Connection w/o a Router?.

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Double check what IP you have been assigned under the PC (IPCONFIG) and the IP that is scanned by a service like ShieldUP. Are they the same? Then the change you made is good. Are they different? Then the change made is un-necessary
    Thanks .... the IP was the same so changing to Public sounds logical as Comcast apparently is not acting as a super giant Router LAN for my neighborhood area.

However, out of curiosity, I temporarily reset the Zone from Public to Trusted for a second test at Shields-UP test. Believe it or not, with ZA set to Trusted Zone on a direct connection, Shields-UP still reported my computer to be fully stealthed .... must be some internal smart adaptive software programming on the part of ZA ..... i.e. ZA is apparently *****-proof for guys like me!

Thanks.

Thread Information