Thread: which Zone Alarm should I upgrade to?

feb202012 Guest

Exclamation which Zone Alarm should I upgrade to?

I have the free zone alarm firewall.
    my laptop is being hacked.
    I ran netstat and I don't see anything unusual.
    I closed out the "allow remote access" option in the system file.
    It looks like the hacker is either using my bluetooth to access my laptop or a remote access program that can access my laptop.
    I have not been able to stop the hacker.
    I have my laptop configured just how I like it and I want to avoid doing a full restore to clean the operating system out and the registry and cache. This would be time consuming and I have term papers that are due.
    I would prefer to just upgrade to a better version of zone alarm that will keep this hacker out of my laptop.

First *** I need to know why my zone alarm firewall is letting the hacker get through.
    Second *** I need to know which product to upgrade to since the free zone alarm firewall isn't even warning me about the hacker.

How do I know about the hacker? My curser changes color. I also loose control of my curser when I am composing a term paper. The hacker clicks on diffrent programs on my laptop right in front of me while I am using my computer. the hacker also changes information on my term paper right in front of me. My lap top has video capabillity and I want to catch the hacker. I am going to video monitor my laptop screen to monitor the intrusions.
    Does zone alarm have a function that will monitor the intrusions for me? Does zone alarm keep a log of files that have been intruded? because I REALLY want to put this hacker in prison.
    Third ***Not a single warning from my free zone alarm fire wall about the intrusion. why?

Default Re: which zone alarm should I upgrade to?

Hi!

before worring about the firewall you should ensure your PC is free of malware and vulnerabilities.

Post your logs at Bleepingcomputer or SpywareHammer, they will take you hand-in-hand and check your system. Follow their advise and install a solid security tool as your first line of defense (from ZA Extreme, Kaspersky Internet Security or Norton Internet Security).

Keep it simple, do no pile up security tools one on top of the other and mantain your system and OS fully up-to-date.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

I agree with FAX. You have to get all viruses, Trojan and malware off the PC first.

Also everything you stated about how you know there is a hacker is really no proof at all. You can call it a hacker I could say its a problem with the PC hardware, OS or other software installed on the PC from the description you given.

We could go back and forth all day on it.

Its probably some type of malware you unintentionally downloaded via another file and that infected your PC. Or was a drive by download from a website which was not a mainstream website and you got infected from your web surfing habits.

Also ZoneAlarm does not let known trusted apps access the internet UNLESS YOU the USER allow it.

If you grant an application access to the internet then it on you if that app does something malicious.
    So for example you download xyz app thinking its ok but in reality it has hidden malware in it and upon running xyz app ZA pops up and asks you if you will allow xyz app to access the internet and you say Yes then you just allow it through the firewall.

Please Don't assume or make wild accusation that ZA allowed a hacker through because it does not do that on its own.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

feb202012 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!

before worring about the firewall you should ensure your PC is free of malware and vulnerabilities.

Post your logs at Bleepingcomputer or SpywareHammer, they will take you hand-in-hand and check your system. Follow their advise and install a solid security tool as your first line of defense (from ZA Extreme, Kaspersky Internet Security or Norton Internet Security).

Keep it simple, do no pile up security tools one on top of the other and mantain your system and OS fully up-to-date.

Thanks,
    Fax

I will do that. Thank you.

feb202012 Guest

Thank you.
    I still need to know which ZA to upgrade to.
    Please advise.
    I use my computer constantly on the internet to research term papers.
    So, what ZA product will be best?
    I want ZA because of all of the excellent reviews that I have seen.
    It also works very well with my system and I find that I never have problems with it slowing me down.
    I noticed several products are available.
    I especially want to keep out hackers and if they do get in, I want file tracking information. Which product does that?
    I am trying to purchase your ZA product. So, letís leave the "itís on you" stuff out.
    I was just inquiring why I didn't receive an alert.
    I know it is a hacker.
    I want a program that provides protection to my files and provides proof of the intrusions into my files.
    If you can't help me decide on which ZA product to get, please direct me to an email or phone # with ZA where I can get help.
    Thank you.

Tracking hackers / monitor them / forensic: I am afraid but what you are looking for will require deep knowledge of systems and different platforms (e.g. Unix). Forensic is not something you can do with simple commercial software. You have to start to study programming, network, system analysis. Just google it, plenty of sources out there.

You want to understand more and check the system? Go to experts, show your logs (as already suggested) and follow their suggestions. You will be in good hands.

The choice of a security tool is closely link to your hardware, habits, objectives, software installed, use of the system (games, banking, commerce), etc.

No one can tell you which product to buy. Inform yourself, keep it simple, don't be taken by paranoia (hackers targeting home computer is more a story for a movie than reality). Test products (all ZA line offers free 30 days trial).

Movie hacking vs. Real hacking

Compare the ZA product line and choose the best product that fit your needs. Check here:

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...r-security.htm

Trial them before purchasing.

Fax
    Last edited by fax; February 25th, 2012 at 06:51 AM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Also DO NOT expect if you buy ZoneAlarm that it will remove what ever you have on your PC already.

Its not designed to do that task perfectly.

I would format your hard drive. Re-install the OS, install all service packs and critical updates from Microsoft.

Then decided on what security software you want.

We cant suggest what you should buy, sorry.

Forum Moderator
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information