Thread: [SOLVED] iTunes and Parental Controls and Apache Server conflict.

dougduthie Guest

Default [SOLVED] iTunes and Parental Controls and Apache Server conflict.

Using ZA Extreme Security 10.1.079.000, I've just installed Parental Controls on 2 PCs running Windows 7 (32 bit). All appears ok apart from iTunes. iTunes now takes 100% cpu (split between the iTunesHelper and Apple Push process IIRC) and either can't access the iTunes store, or takes an extremely long time. Closing iTunes causes an Apache server (httpd.exe) to take 100% cpu.

Uninstalling Parental Controls completely resolves the problem - iTunes doesn't hog cpu and can access the store. I can't see anything obvious in the Parental Controls profile to block iTunes, and still behaves like this even if I have Parental Controls installed but switched off.

I get exactly the same symptoms on two PCs.

Anyone got any advice on this?

Thanks,
    Doug

Default Re: iTunes and Parental Controls and Apache Server conflict

Quote Originally Posted by dougduthie View Post
    Using ZA Extreme Security 10.1.079.000, I've just installed Parental Controls on 2 PCs running Windows 7 (32 bit). All appears ok apart from iTunes. iTunes now takes 100% cpu (split between the iTunesHelper and Apple Push process IIRC) and either can't access the iTunes store, or takes an extremely long time. Closing iTunes causes an Apache server (httpd.exe) to take 100% cpu.

Uninstalling Parental Controls completely resolves the problem - iTunes doesn't hog cpu and can access the store. I can't see anything obvious in the Parental Controls profile to block iTunes, and still behaves like this even if I have Parental Controls installed but switched off.

I get exactly the same symptoms on two PCs.

Anyone got any advice on this?

Thanks,
    Doug

1.) Re: Latest ZoneAlarm ITunes Problem
    With every release of ZA we test iTunes latest version and make sure that you can sync and update with an iPod, iPad and a iPhone.

Version 10.1.065.00 works 100% fine with iTunes.

You have an isolated issue with your PC, iTunes install, ZA or something else conflicting.

Best to do an uninstall of ZA to rule out its a ZA issue. After uninstalling make sure you can sync with iTunes.

Then download and install the latest version of the Zone Alarm firewall here:

Download the latest ZA version <== click here

Forum Moderator
    2.) Apache Server is not supported by Zone Alarm.

Here is a Link by the Forum Moderator:

Sticky: Zone Alarm Apache shut down conflict <== Click Here
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 28th, 2012 at 06:28 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dougduthie Guest

Default Re: iTunes and Parental Controls and Apache Server conflict.

Hi George,
    ~snip~

I've done a bit more digging to see why i have httpd.exe processes running....
    I had assumed (wrongly) this was part of iTunes. It looks to be part of my backup process (GFI Backup). I'll disable this when i get home to see if this is the cause of the conflict

Thanks,
    Doug
    Last edited by GeorgeV; February 28th, 2012 at 06:19 AM. Reason: offtopic

Quote Originally Posted by dougduthie View Post
    Hi George,
    ~snip~

I've done a bit more digging to see why i have httpd.exe processes running....
    I had assumed (wrongly) this was part of iTunes. It looks to be part of my backup process (GFI Backup). I'll disable this when i get home to see if this is the cause of the conflict

Thanks,
    Doug

Thank you for your feedback, and replying to the first part of my reply..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World,
    without All the Details about your computer and Software you have installed that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Let me know when you get home, if you have resolved your conflict..

dougduthie Guest

Just to be sure, I've shut all the services related to GFI backup, and disabled them. There are now no httpd.exe processes running.

I re-installed Parental Controls, rebooted and checked again there are no httpd.exe processes running.

However, this does not resolve the issue. iTunes still cannot access the iTunes store and takes 100% cpu (split between iTunes.exe and APSDaemon.exe). I've also noticed, even before running iTunes, wmiPrvSE always takes 5-10% cpu.

To clarify the situation, with Parental Controls removed, but with ZAEE installed, iTunes is fine with no issues, and the WMI Provider Host (wmiprvse) takes no cpu. Issues only start to appear when Parental Controls is installed, and the issue does not appear to be a conflict with Apache (as it isn't running).

The running processes are (not including parental controls, which I've removed at the moment to compare the symptoms)
    Name ==== acdaemon.exe acservice.exe applemobiledevicehelper.exe applemobiledeviceservice.exe apsdaemon.exe arccon.ac armsvc.exe conhost.exe conhost.exe csrss.exe csrss.exe daemonu.exe distnoted.exe dwm.exe editplus.exe eeventmanager.exe excel.exe explorer.exe firefox.exe forcefield.exe ipodservice.exe iswsvc.exe itunes.exe ituneshelper.exe jusched.exe lsass.exe lsm.exe mantispm.exe mdnsresponder.exe mmc.exe msinfo32.exe nvscpapisvr.exe nvtray.exe nvvsvc.exe nvvsvc.exe nvxdsync.exe photoshopelementsfileagent.exe plugin-container.exe plugin-container.exe searchindexer.exe services.exe smss.exe spoolsv.exe steam.exe steamservice.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe svchost.exe system system idle process taskhost.exe taskmgr.exe usbtip.exe vsmon.exe webupdatesvc4.exe wininit.exe winlogon.exe wmiprvse.exe wmpnetwk.exe wudfhost.exe zatray.exe winlogon.exe wmiprvse.exe wmiprvse.exe wmpnetwk.exe wudfhost.exe zatray.exe

Running Services are:-
    ActiveX Installer (AxInstSV)
    Adobe Acrobat Update Service
    Adobe Active File Monitor V9
    Apple Mobile Device
    Application Information
    ArcSoft Connect Daemon
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    Base Filtering Engine
    Bonjour Service
    CNG Key Isolation
    COM+ Event System
    Computer Browser
    Cryptographic Services
    DCOM Server Process Launcher
    Desktop Window Manager Session Manager
    DHCP Client
    Diagnostic Policy Service
    Diagnostic Service Host
    Diagnostic System Host
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    DNS Client
    Function Discovery Provider Host
    Function Discovery Resource Publication
    Group Policy Client
    HomeGroup Provider
    IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules
    IP Helper
    iPod Service
    IPsec Policy Agent
    Network Connections
    Network List Service
    Network Location Awareness
    Network Store Interface Service
    NVIDIA Display Driver Service
    NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service
    NVIDIA Update Service Daemon
    Offline Files

To make a proper testing on third party conflicts you should run the system selectively. First only ZA and OS services/startup and then slowly the rest. This way:

1.) Click Start
    2.) Type MSConfig in the search box and click ENTER
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZATray and forcefield
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the General tab.

Check that everything is working as it should then start introducing back items by group of 3-4 starting from services and then moving to startup items up to when you find the culprit.

Once you have found it please report it directly to ZA technical support as already suggested, include steps to replicate it.

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

This may not be a conflict but parental control configurations may have been changed from the default. So parental control is doing it job.

Parental controls is not about just websites only. But application access too.

So parental control may very well be blocking iTunes due to the way it was setup by the user.

Forum Moderator.

dougduthie Guest

Lightbulb Re: iTunes and Parental Controls conflict.

Aha...it looks like that by default, Parental controls is blocking iTunes and the Apple Push service (or at least blocking them from getting some or all of the content from the internet), which I guess is sending them into a spin. Adding them as Application Exceptions, make the iTunes store accessible and stops them taking 100% cpu.

Much happier now.

The only thing that is different now is the WMI Host Provider takes 5-7% cpu constantly (c/w when Parental Controls is not installed).

Two possible scenarios here

1. I've got somer other implicit block in here and some other app is pumping out WMI messages to report this
    2. Parental Controls itself pumps out WMI messages

I can try to get to the bottom of (1) by isolating which app has problems. However, before I do that, does anyone know if it may be Parental Controls itself issuing WMI messages, and is so, any way of configuring them?

Thanks,
    Doug

Default Re: [SOLVED] iTunes and Parental Controls and Apache Server conflict.

No idea. But that percentage falls into a totally acceptable range for having security on a PC.

your never going to have a PC with firewall, AV and parental controls, antiphishing, spam protect not use any CPU resources.

That tiny amount is acceptable to us and will not be considered an issue for us to look at.

But you can still ask around on the forum if you wish.

Forum moderator

Thread Information