Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] updates aborted - "another installer or an update installation running"

maya Guest

Default [SOLVED] updates aborted - "another installer or an update installation running"

hi

I am lost, since yesterday I cannot update : the downloads begin, but then the updating is aborted.
    the error window says :

"update progress
    ABORTED : another installer or an update installation is currently running"

I guess some file could be corrupted and/or windows installer collides with updating-system? which system does zone-alarm use ?

being a beginner, I would like to know if you know this issue, where I can see which so-called running update is colliding, because the error-window does not specify anything

thank you so much for any help !

maya

running on xp sp2
    with zalarm security suite
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.1.056.000
    ZoneAlarm license key: *** NEVER POST Your ZA License in a Public Forum
    vsmon version: 10.1.056.000
    Driver version: 10.1.056.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1080274496
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.341.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.341.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 3rd, 2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: NEVER post your license key, email address, or any personal information Publicly Here!

Default Re: updates constantly aborted - "another installer or an update installation running

Quote Originally Posted by maya View Post
    hi

I am lost, since yesterday I cannot update : the downloads begin, but then the updating is aborted.
    the error window says :

"update progress
    ABORTED : another installer or an update installation is currently running"

I guess some file could be corrupted and/or windows installer collides with updating-system? which system does zone-alarm use ?

being a beginner, I would like to know if you know this issue, where I can see which so-called running update is colliding, because the error-window does not specify anything

thank you so much for any help !

maya

running on xp sp2
    with zalarm security suite
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.1.056.000

1.) It sounds like either you have a corruption or other software conflict..

You are probably experiencing some ZA database corruptions. You may want to try to reset the ZA database by resetting ZA settings to their defaults (under preferences --> Reset to default --> Reboot the PC).

Do not restore any previous ZA settings and see if the issue is corrected.

2.) from the information that you provided, do you have BOTH, ZA Security Suite and ZA Extreme Security installed?

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another.

3.) Please Update your Windows XP SP2 to SP3 and many other Critical Updates after Win XP SP3,
    Microsoft Ended Support for WinXP SP2 back in 2010..

The Following Forum Link has links to Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Update page..

Sticky: Microsoft Ends Windows XP SP2 Support Now and ALL XP Support Ends April 2014
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 4th, 2012 at 04:04 AM. Reason: updated
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

maya Guest

Default Re: updates constantly aborted - "another installer or an update installation running

thank you GeorgeV !

- I did reset all defaults, rebooted, retried, and got the error again

- it took a long time downloading, then began to "install" (at about progress 70%) then stopped suddenly at 98% and probably failed because the error-message came back.
    - I wonder if everything downloaded is lost, but it re-downloads every time
    (every hour trying to update automatically plus each time I tried to manually check for update and see if working)

- but the ZA panel says updated each time ! but I do not belive it is updated, or ?
    how , by the way, could one verify if indeed updates are in ? (maybe error an error...(:-))
    which I can hardly believe (because of the repeated downloads)
    - so it could become a dangerous issue if ZA cannot alert actual update failed

- however, the error does not seem to be directly ZA-related

- meanwhile I surfed looking at non-ZA threads (google search) of other people having had the issue and found how to look at event-viewer and registry

the error event code is 1041 and the event-properties says :
    "Windows cannot query DllName registry entry for {CF7639F3-ABA2-41DB-97F2-81E2C5DBFC5D} and it will not be loaded. This is most likely caused by a faulty registration."
    or
    "Windows cannot query DllName registry entry for {CF7639F3-ABA2-41DB-97F2-81E2C5DBFC5D} and it will not be loaded. This is most likely caused by a faulty registration."
    etc. and similars, the chain of characters is always a new one,
    but all chains can be found via regedit-search under :
    "Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/GPExtensions"

perhaps you could tell me what it could be ? (what is winlogon/GPExtensions ? ...?)

- having seen that one user had, months earlier, installed and uninstalled IE8, got the issue few months later, reinstalled IE8 and got rid of the issue,... I did install IE8 (which I also installed and threw away months ago) but even after this (I dislike IE8) it came to the same issue after reboot, retry to update ZA.

so now I cannot find how to solve this, I have no technical knowledge, I see people trying to trick their windows-installer but I could not dare to do this... knowing not even if that is the software involved...
    having recently installed a photo-upload software with adobe-air, I repeated the whole progress just in case some data was still hanging, but there also no success.

at the end it would be ok if I knew that ZA updated are in, but I cannot believe this,
    how could we check this ?

again, thank you for your help and care,
    and no, I have not 2 ZAs. i had security suite years long so I typed that, then did a copy/paste from ZA and did not delete my (wrong) line, I upgraded to extreme half a year ago and did the proper uninstall reinstall (:-)) and also thank you I did not even realize I was copying my license-nr there, thank you for having deleted it !

maya

ledwards Guest

Same problem here. It started today, and the error message pops up repeatedly.

I tried a manual updated, but it eventually gives the error message too. It takes awhile to progress, but then completes with 100% for both update items. But then the error message pops up again.

Using Win XP Home, SP-3.

Sounds like your system is in a loop with something needing install that cannot proceed. This is hanging any other updating process (ZA or not). You should fully remove ZA, fix the OS (you are still at SP2, fully update XP to the latest parches) and only when the system is fixed install back ZA latest version that you find here: Looking for the latest version?

For OS related issue you could ask to Microsoft community:
    http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173

Or try another windows related community, eg:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum56.html

In all of this ensure you are logged as administrator of the machine and that you don't have software limiting access to the system.

To workaround the OS issue try to use the "update" within the ZA antivirus/antispyware section and NOT the main "update" link on top of ZA. This will exclude product updates and only download AV updates.

Thanks,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; March 4th, 2012 at 02:34 AM.

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

maya Guest

Smile Re: updates constantly aborted - "another installer or an update installation running

dear all THANK YOU !!!!

here is the way I tried, and the way it solved :

first of all I disabled the automatic updates of windows, because I was convinced there was an issue with the installation of updates while shutting off. so I update now manually. cannot damage. and I decided to first try not to touch sp3 and concentrate on cleaning.

but then despite having uninstalled ZA, cleaned with registry-cleaner, and ccleaner (but not all)
    I confess that I tried a last time to install my actual (1 056) ZA new (just to see if without changing the version the microsoft-issue would solve the problem and with the intention of upgrading just after this)

but I got the issue of ZA hanging in "initialization progress"
    so I went onto the forum and found the solution, thank you all ! this time I uninstalled again
    but installed now the neWEST version ( 1079) AFTER HAVING CLEANED MORE RADICALLY
    following your thread about that new issue,

here the steps
    -----------------------------------------------
    "
    The instruction for a clean install are below,
    1. Download the latest ZA version
    2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs)
    3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.
    4. Clean your system and registry withthe Free Ccleaner.exe
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim
    5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, now reboot after running ZA Removal tool.
    6. Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings.
    "
    ----------------------------------------------

BRILLIANT
    this works now.
    - I am still on xp sp2 (was not able to risk sp3 after 48hours stress.... plus I saw here someone with same issue under sp3),
    - with the latest ZA (1 079)
    ----------------------------------------------

STILL I would like to report 3 items to you, with a last tiny question,
    since I saw them in the event-viewer and I think you could have some interest looking at them :

just at the end of the installation of ZA, while configuring, and after having configured the components, the last message appeared of a failure :
    "failed to start boot sector and memory scan"

Then came however the congrats message successfully installed, I rebooted and ...
    ZoneAlarm worked very properly ! (I ignore what the failure meant, but you will know. perhaps helpful for you ?)

one error is reported once in the event-viewer and
    obviously happened exactly while I was installing ZA :
    ---------------------------------------------------
    here the properties :
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MsiInstaller
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 11316
    Date: 04.03.2012
    Time: 17:25:45
    User: M
    Computer: M
    Description:
    Product: ZoneAlarm Firewall -- Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\Firewall.msi

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 7b 37 37 32 38 37 43 30 {77287C0
    0008: 32 2d 39 42 37 32 2d 34 2-9B72-4
    0010: 45 41 31 2d 42 33 43 33 EA1-B3C3
    0018: 2d 44 36 41 45 41 42 33 -D6AEAB3
    0020: 36 43 33 38 31 7d 6C381}
    ------------------------------------------------

and there is still a persistent warning in the event-viewer :

event appears each time while turning off
    (always via start/turn off, I never select start/log off)
    the only application still working at the moment I turn off is probably ZA ? (all progs closed, always)

* for this one I have a question : is this possibly generating a kind of deadline (like if you run too many sessions of any program without closing them) and would cause a crash after some delay, or is that not a dangerous warning ?

here the properties :
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1517
    Date: 04.03.2012
    Time: 17:40:53
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: M
    Description:
    Windows saved user M\mregistry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

thank you for your great help
    and thank you to all users of this forum !
    with you, even a beginner like me can do some work..., slowly, but
    well, it works now, however.. !

maya
    now with config :
    xp sp2, automatic windows updates off,
    and
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.1.079.000
    vsmon version: 10.1.079.000
    Driver version: 10.1.079.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1080328576
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4971
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.359.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.359.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155
    Last edited by maya; March 4th, 2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: private

Doesn't look very good from what you describe. You still seem to have installers issues + issues at windows firewall level (have you turned ON windows firewall before installing ZA?) + running still on SP2.

Under this framework ZA will not be able to protect you properly since its running on an untrusted OS. There has been literarely hundreds of fixes since SP2 any new infection will find the way on the system easily even with ZA.

You should try to download SP3 and update the system offline:
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24

Or re-start fresh by reinstalling windows.

Good luck!
    Fax

maya Guest

Red face Re: updates constantly aborted - "another installer or an update installation running

sp3 sure ? I got blue screen terror at reading some posts in the past,
    is sp3 now really ok ? if you tell me, I ll trust you, Guru, sure I ll do ! ()
    thank you
    maya

maya Guest

and no, I turned everything off (firewall and all) from security windows
    maya

If you beleive all what you find on the internet you would not install any operating system. Just google whatever and you will find horror stories about it. It is really essential to keep your system uptodated as well as the windows updates service turned ON. Otherwise better to keep the PC turned OFF or buy a new system but up-to-date.

Updating may (MAY, I cannot guarantee) resolve also the corruption problems you have on the system. Ideally you should try to update without ZA or any other security tool installed.

You will need several updates and reboots before you will manage to update the system (4 years have passed since SP3). After that check your system for vulnerability with this tool:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_sca...ad&inclusion=1

Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information