Thread: ZoneAlarm still thinks Mirc is a virus even when on exception list

tim_t Guest

Default ZoneAlarm still thinks Mirc is a virus even when on exception list

No matter how many times I put the Mirc.exe file on the EXCEPTION LIST; no matter how many times I tell ZoneAlarm to IGNORE ALWAYS, ZoneAlarm just ignores me and deletes the file without me even having a say. Fortunately Mirc has a backup exe file in its folder, so I can replace the file it deletes. I've had to do that twice already. (ZA is also inconsistent; why doesn't it delete this BACKUP Mirc.exe file - it's the SAME 'virus'!)

Mirc is a harmless chat client; I've been using it for years without any security concerns, even before I got this router and was using an old USB modem. Please get it fixed. I am now using ZoneAlarm Internet Security 10 and it's always been an issue in ZA.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version: 10.1.065.000
    vsmon version: 10.1.065.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1079851296

Default Re: ZoneAlarm still thinks Mirc is a virus even when on exception list

Hi!

Normally MIRC is detected by kaspersky has "not-a-virus", this means that is NOT a virus but RISKWARE. This is by design. See kaspersky site for an explanation:

All these programs are not malicious by their origin and they do not contain a destructive code. That is why detection of the executable files and their libraries was developed by Kaspersky Lab as a separate extended set of Antivirus bases.
    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=193238514

You will need to "ignore always" the threat and exclude MIRC under the ZA "scan targets" for on-demand scans. You will need to repeat this for each new version of MIRC released.

Btw, you should try to manually update your ZASS to the latest version, we are now at 10.1.079.000. Considering you may have some setup issues with your ZA it would not be a bad idea to start clean. First remove your installed ZA and then install the latest version.

Looking for the latest version?

For detailed step by step reporting of false positives (it seems not your case) you can review this post:

How to diagnose and/or report antivirus/antispyware false positives

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tim_t Guest

You will need to "ignore always" the threat and exclude MIRC under the ZA "scan targets" for on-demand scans. You will need to repeat this for each new version of MIRC released.
    I already did; it just ignored what I told it to do. The file was already in the Exclusion List. Admittedly, it flagged up these false positives on just two occasions, seemingly at random (once just after the PC had finished booting up - I think it was a 'on-access' event rather than a full scan). So far, nothing since. I've just manually scanned the entire Mirc folder and it found no riskware/virus. ZA seems to have its own little quirks...

PS: ZA has just told me that the product is "up to date" even though I'm still using 10.1.065.000...maybe it doesn't know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tim_t View Post
    1.) I already did; it just ignored what I told it to do. The file was already in the Exclusion List. Admittedly, it flagged up these false positives on just two occasions, seemingly at random (once just after the PC had finished booting up - I think it was a 'on-access' event rather than a full scan). So far, nothing since. I've just manually scanned the entire Mirc folder and it found no riskware/virus. ZA seems to have its own little quirks...

2.) PS: ZA has just told me that the product is "up to date" even though I'm still using 10.1.065.000...maybe it doesn't know yet.

Hi!

Sorry we are all users here, Tech Support does not Monitor this User supported Forum,
    If you have a valid ZA license

Please click on the Support link in my Signature then click on the LIVE CHAT Link at the top Left side of the SUPPORT page and troubleshoot the issue with Technical Support.

Note:
    1.) Please Report what are the steps you took to reproduce the problem.

The More information you Report the more likely Tech Support will be able to understand the issue and try to help.

If it is a ZA problem it is essential to report it to ZA Support directly. If No report files with Tech Support, then no fix any time soon.

Also the more reports by users Directly to Support on the same issue more likely the issue will be escalated faster to the development team.

2.) Here is a link that may explain "Your Product is up to date" when there is a newer ZA Product available for manual Download issue..

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthre...product+update

Please post back here if you find a solution. It may help other users...
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 3rd, 2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: updated
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Quote Originally Posted by tim_t View Post
    I already did; it just ignored what I told it to do.
    There are three levels of exclusions (exclusion by threat, exclusion by process and exclusion by on-demand scanning). The results will vary according to the exclusions you have selected. Probably a manual error in selecting the "ignore" instead of "ignore always" or the weekly scan detected (if MIRC was not UNchecked in the advance options of ZA antivirus --> "scan targets"). Could also be that MIRC had an update and, only after weeks, the AV signature was also updated and triggered a late detection that may have been confused with the same detection. Finally, there could be a corruption of the ZA databases and the exclusion rule got erased.

Yes, manual update of ZA to move to ZA 10.1.079.000. Automatic update may not warn you of minor ZA build revisions.

To sum up: The behavior is by design. At every new Mirc version be ready to add the thread to the "ignore always".

Thanks,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information