Thread: Download protection off in FF and IE

pknupfer Guest

Default Download protection off in FF and IE

I've been over to chat with this issue, and they recommended manually rebooting with individual services off to see if there's a conflict with ZA. I really want to avoid that, so I'm trying here first.

Advanced download protection is not initializing or running in either IE9 or FF10 on either of my machines: one uses Win 7 Pro x64 the other Win 7 home premium.

I'm using

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.1.079.000
    vsmon version: 10.1.079.000
    Driver version: 10.0.217.000
    Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1062900064
    AntiSpam version: 6.3.1.4973
    ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.359.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.359.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

Downloads in both browsers occur without scanning by ZA. Web security is on, and all advanced settings are checked, including virtualization. Here is what I've tried:

-- complete clean uninstall, clean registry w/ccleaner, web security file removal, clean install ZAES in safe mode, reboot with most services, browser add-ons, and startup programs off.

Both browsers on both machines behave as if download protection isn't there and simply download files normally.

?

Default Re: Download protection off in FF and IE

yes, I have seen other users with this issue and others related to the web protection . I am afraid the only fix that normally works is to revert the machine back (restore points) to when ZA was working correctly (remove ZA before trying to restore the PC) otherwise a fresh install of the OS will for sure fix it (I know its not an ideal solution). If it never worked than you have a third party software conflicting with ZA.

It has been reported many times in here (if you have reviewed this section) that ZA web security is very sensitive to local conditions.

The best you can do is to keep following with official support to try to troubleshoot and log the issue directly with them (all users here).

Thanks,
    Fax
    BTW, you antivirus signature looks outdated, are ZA antivirus updates working correctly?
    Last edited by fax; March 7th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

pknupfer Guest

Thank you. I have no idea when it last worked (it did indeed work at one time), but my browsers have been updated so many times and I've done so many other things with the machine that reverting probably would be a long night's experimenting.

I manually updated my AV signatures in response to your suggestion. I've had no inkling whether the AV updates have been working -- the system says it's been updating so I've trusted that to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by pknupfer View Post
    I manually updated my AV signatures in response to your suggestion. I've had no inkling whether the AV updates have been working -- the system says it's been updating so I've trusted that to be the case.
    Compare the number with the one published here:
    *** Daily AV/AS Signature Updates (Mar. 08,2012) for XP/Vista/Win7

If your number is equal or higher then you are fine. If not, you have a problem!

Cheers,
    Fax

pknupfer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post

It has been reported many times in here (if you have reviewed this section) that ZA web security is very sensitive to local conditions.

Yes I noticed a number of reports here, but few of them referred specifically to the advanced download protection. The fact remains that *all* software is "sensitive to local conditions." ~~snip~~
    Last edited by fax; March 9th, 2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: offtopic

Sorry, some offtopic comments needed to go.

We are only dealing with ZA product related issues and common solutions to problems on a user to user bases. For anything related to development needs and bug reporting you need to contact the ZA official support and troubleshoot the issue with them (we are all users here).

Of course if you manage to resolve the issue it would be great if you report it back here. It may help other users with your same problem.

Thanks,
    Fax

Thread Information