Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ZA Firewall Logs Not Working

sodapop554 Guest

Default Re: ZA Firewall Logs Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    No, it may be there is nothing to log. You are anyway behind a router. All unsolicited incoming call are already blocked by the router. ZA will only be useful for the outgoing calls.

Just ensure you have your LAN as "home" in your windows 7 and ensure the network is trusted in ZA (192.168.X.X/255.255....). Keep windows fully up to date and use a solid antivirus solution. Also check for vulnerable software in your PC using SECUNIA online check.

Having done this you will be safe and should not care about ZA logs.

Closing this thread since the issue is resolved. Please PM in case you need to re-open it or open a new thread for any other ZA product related issues.

Thanks,
    Fax
    1 of the default settings is to alert & log Anti-virus/Anti-spyware automatic update events. Although it always switches this off even though it's a default setting upon clicking "reset to default". I've ran a GRC | ShieldsUp! test & it said that all my ports are stealth. So long as it says this that means I'm protected regardless right?

Finally, over this entire time span which included re-installing ZA Free at least 4 times. There is 1 thing that I did notice which struck me as odd. The "default settings" for logs & alerts are different than those which are auto-set right after the installation. Although I've tried it both ways, setting to default & leaving as it was upon installation. I do have 1 last question though. Does this problem regarding clearing log events in any way compromise my actual firewall protection? If it's just a problem where I can't clear the logs that doesn't matter since they auto-archive by default every 7 days anyway. I only started clearing the events manually in previous ZA version because it became an insecurity habit. Does not being able to clear them in anyway put me at risk?

*EDIT: In short it looks as though the clearing of events part is freezing or something. For all I know they may be actually cleared, just for some odd reason the events still show as if they are there. The last & only current log I have that wont clear this time is here...

http://fwalerts.zonealarm.com/fwanal...a&tab=overview
    Last edited by sodapop554; March 17th, 2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Additonal Info

Default Re: [SOLVED] ZA Firewall Logs Not Working

Logs or not you are not at risk. Relax.
    GRC is testing your router not ZA. So you are fine anyway.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Default Re: ZA Firewall Logs Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop554 View Post
    1 of the default settings is to alert & log Anti-virus/Anti-spyware automatic update events. Although it always switches this off even though it's a default setting upon clicking "reset to default". I've ran a GRC | ShieldsUp! test & it said that all my ports are stealth. So long as it says this that means I'm protected regardless right?

Finally,Does not being able to clear them in anyway put me at risk?
    IMHO;

No you are not at risk, whether you delete the ZA logs or leave the Logs alone does not put you are risk...
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

sodapop554 Guest

Logs or not you are not at risk. Relax.
    GRC is testing your router not ZA. So you are fine anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    IMHO;

No you are not at risk, whether you delete the ZA logs or leave the Logs alone does not put you are risk...
    Oh, I thought GRC tested the ports on my computer itself. I'm only overly concerned about my firewall because I know that my router isn't doing it's full job. With the previous version of ZA Free Firewall I had, I would constantly see dozens of blocked incoming attempts per day. At least 1 of these did involve something dangerous that uses a particular port to infiltrate a system. Although because my ZA back then said it was blocking them I didn't give it another thought. Unfortunately, I can't remember which port it was nor find the thread I made about it in the past.

Probably incorrect ZA settings and ZA was blocking what was not supposed to block.

sodapop554 Guest

Probably incorrect ZA settings and ZA was blocking what was not supposed to block.
    Well I know ZA has had a lot of false positives with the previous version, although none of them were crucial to allow anyway so I just left as it was. I guess for the situation I'm currently in is all I can do is wait for when ZA releases the next version. Maybe then that version wont do this, although it's still puzzling why it's only happening to me. Unless it is to other's & they're just not noticing or bothering with it, could that be?

Probably there is a misunderstanding here. If you do not allow the LAN (as it seems from you screenshot) you will block solicited incoming calls wrongly.

This means either you have set your LAN (192.168.1.0/255.255...) as public instead as TRUSTED or your your ZA firewall trusted zone is set to high instead of MEDIUM or your LAN is not set as HOME in windows 7.... or finally for some weird reasons ZA is not working well there. You should remove it and find something else that is more resilient to your local setup.

If ZA is configured correctly it should NOT block your internal IPs (LAN)!

Is it clearer now?
    Last edited by fax; March 18th, 2012 at 02:48 AM.

sodapop554 Guest

Probably there is a misunderstanding here. If you do not allow the LAN (as it seems from you screenshot) you will block solicited incoming calls wrongly.

This means either you have set your LAN (192.168.1.0/255.255...) as public instead as TRUSTED or your your ZA firewall trusted zone is set to high instead of MEDIUM or your LAN is not set as HOME in windows 7.... or finally for some weird reasons ZA is not working well there. You should remove it and find something else that is more resilient to your local setup.

If ZA is configured correctly it should NOT block your internal IPs (LAN)!

Is it clearer now?
    Oh I get it now that makes sense too because I do in fact have all my zones set at high, even for programs. What screenshot were you referring to though? I haven't uploaded 1 in this thread.

Unhappy Re: [SOLVED] ZA Firewall Logs Not Working

Oh I get it now that makes sense too because I do in fact have all my zones set at high, even for programs. What screenshot were you referring to though? I haven't uploaded 1 in this thread.
    I see now that after 30 Post, you are still changing the Default setting after re-installing Zone Alarm..

At one time We had your problem Solved,
    but aparently you can't leave well enough alone and keep changing setting.

Until you follow the directions given we won't be able to help you.

You never confirmed to the guru you followed his directions, just questions after question and no confirmation that you did What he said to do since you are still changing Settings.

I'm Sorry, but IF YOU CAN NOT Trust the Default Setting that Zone Alarm uses,

Then as already Suggested by Guru Fax, it may be Better that you Uninstall Zone Alarm Free and Try some other FREE FIREWALL program that better fits your computer configuration..

If you come for help follow ALL of the directions Please!

NOTE: If you still wish to use ZA Free, then go back and Re-Read all of the 30 or more Reply Suggestions on Re-installing and configuring Zone Alarm and do not Restore any Saved Data Settings that may have been corupted..

The instruction for a clean install are below,

1. Download the latest ZA version <== click here

2. Remove your current ZA version (in XP use Windows add/remove programs)

3. Remove other security tools installed. Use http://www.appremover.com/ to double check no left overs are present.

4. Clean your system and registry withthe Free Ccleaner.exe
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim

5. Download to your desktop and run the ZA removal tool, now reboot after running ZA Removal tool.

6. Install the latest ZA version without touching any default settings,
    and Do Not Restore Save Settings from the old install.
    Have a nice day
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 19th, 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: updated
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Firewall section: TRUSTED ZONE security should be set to MEDIUM and not high. Internet zone security should be set to high.

If you can't remember what you have changed from defaults then better to start from zero as GEORGEV suggested.

Thanks,
    Fax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information