Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] ZA Firewall Logs Not Working

Hybrid View

sodapop554 Guest

Default [SOLVED] ZA Firewall Logs Not Working

So far this has happened twice & gets stranger as time goes by. At 1st my ZA Free Firewall event logs refused to clear. I found a solution to that simply by setting it to archive the log every day instead of once every 7 days. Although after doing that I've yet to see any events pop up. Normally I get quite a few per day although even after resetting my connection which normally triggers at least 2, I got nothing. In addition when I try to view the log I get an error saying that Windows cannot find the log. Following this when I click "browse" in the same log interface there's 3 different logs saved.

1st: fwdbglog

2nd: fwpktlog

3rd: ZALog2012.03.10

All of these logs contain data although when I try to delete them via the ZA interface it says "Log Error. File does not exist or is in use!". Should I try deleting the logs manually via finding them in the files?

Lastly, here are the two current events that refuse to clear from the log, as to which 1 they're from I'm not sure

http://fwalerts.zonealarm.com/fwanal...1&tab=overview

http://fwalerts.zonealarm.com/fwanal...2&tab=overview
    Last edited by sodapop554; March 16th, 2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Default Re: ZA Firewall Logs Not Working

Hi;

You're ZA databases may be corrupted AGAIN!!!

Try a reset (tools --> preferences --> Reset to default).

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, or around the World, without All the Details about your computer and Software that you failed to provide, without our ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Please List any other Security Programs or Registry Guard or Registry locking tools,
    installed as these programs may be conflicting with Zone Alarm.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 17th, 2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: updated

Please do not try to mess around with ZA files, 1st: fwdbglog and 2nd: fwpktlog are for diagnostic purpose and not the firewall logs.
    Also you should trust your router in ZA not to create connection problems, apparently you are not. So, you seem to have several problems in non-default settings or bad settings.

Start clean, if you do not know how to work with settings do not touch them. Keep it simple. Trust your LAN (192.168.X.X)....

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sodapop554 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hi;

You're ZA databases may be corrupted AGAIN!!!

Try a reset (tools --> preferences --> Reset to default).
    Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Please do not try to mess around with ZA files, 1st: fwdbglog and 2nd: fwpktlog are for diagnostic purpose and not the firewall logs.
    Also you should trust your router in ZA not to create connection problems, apparently you are not. So, you seem to have several problems in non-default settings or bad settings.

Start clean, if you do not know how to work with settings do not touch them. Keep it simple. Trust your LAN (192.168.X.X)....

Thanks,
    Fax
    That's just it though, I haven't messed with the settings this time. I did once before select every single thing to be logged although that messed it up so I had to re-install. This time I haven't touched a thing yet it's doing the same as before. Just now as matter of fact those two logs did disappear. I assume that they were just archived, although I've yet to get anymore. I'll wait until tomorrow since by then there should be at least 1 blocked event in the log due to during my computer on & connecting to the internet. If it's glitched where it no longer will ever display any logs does that mean nothings being blocked & I should re-install for my security or is it just a log problem?

Which version of ZA are you using? Be sure to run on the latest ZA free. We are at 10.1.097.000. That you can find here: http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

sodapop554 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Which version of ZA are you using? Be sure to run on the latest ZA free. We are at 10.1.097.000. That you can find here: http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm
    I just reset Windows 7 Firewall all to default settings which turned it on. I then turned off ZA Free Firewall, uninstalled & re-installed again. I left all log settings what they were this time again upon install. I HAVE NOT in any way selected any additional options to log nor have I unselected any that were already set. After restarting my computer I found two new blocked logs in my ZA events. Upon clicking "clear" they both cleared perfectly fine so, so far so good. I just hope that my Windows 7 Firewall was good enough to protect me from all possible attacks while I was uninstalling, re-downloading & reinstalling ZA Free again.

Default Re: [SOLVED] ZA Firewall Logs Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop554 View Post

Lastly, here are the two current events that refuse to clear from the log, as to which 1 they're from I'm not sure

http://fwalerts.zonealarm.com/fwanal...1&tab=overview

http://fwalerts.zonealarm.com/fwanal...2&tab=overview
    If you see alerts from non-routable IP addresses, this is most likely from
    a machine on your local network, or your NAT (hardware) router if you have
    one. Private IP addresses are non-routable - this means that they exist
    only on your local network and cannot normally be routed to or from the
    Internet.

The private, or non-routable, IP addresses are as follows (x can be any
    legitimate IP number):

- 192.168.x.x
    - 172.16.x.x through 172.31.x.x
    - 10.x.x.x

When you see these alerts, determine whether it is from a computer on
    your network, or from the machine or router that performs NAT or DHCP
    (most commonly, if the IP address ends in 1 then it would be the device
    performing NAT/DHCP).

The most common cause of these alerts is not having the Trusted Zone
    set up properly. Be sure that your local network systems (and router as
    necessary) are included in the Trusted Zone (set to Medium). Also, you
    may need to UNcheck the box to block local servers.

So relax, loosen up and don't panic.Just follow what already suggested and just use defaults from install.

Have no other suggestion to offer.All users here.I would suggest if you still need help use ZoneAlarm Free Firewall Technical Support.

Click Here : http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/support/technical-support-zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm

Footnote : Under SmartDefense Advisor 2nd tab Technical Info. Look at Inside the firewall alert and ZoneAlarm security enforcement at time of alert to see what has taken place.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by GeorgeV; March 21st, 2012 at 04:43 AM. Reason: typo, added footnote

sodapop554 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Soldiers View Post
    If you see alerts from non-routable IP addresses, this is most likely from
    a machine on your local network, or your NAT (hardware) router if you have
    one. Private IP addresses are non-routable - this means that they exist
    only on your local network and cannot normally be routed to or from the
    Internet.

The private, or non-routable, IP addresses are as follows (x can be any
    legitimate IP number):

- 192.168.x.x
    - 172.16.x.x through 172.31.x.x
    - 10.x.x.x

When you see these alerts, determine whether it is from a computer on
    your network, or from the machine or router that performs NAT or DHCP
    (most commonly, if the IP address ends in 1 then it would be the device
    performing NAT/DHCP).

The most common cause of these alerts is not having the Trusted Zone
    set up properly. Be sure that your local network systems (and router as
    necessary) are included in the Trusted Zone (set to Medium). Also, you
    may need to UNcheck the box to block local servers.

So relax, loosen up and don't panic.Just follow what already suggested and just use defaults from install.

Have no other suggestion to offer.All users here.I would suggest if you still need help use ZoneAlarm Free Firewall Technical Support.

Here : http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-firewall.htm

Footnote : Under SmartDefense Advisor 2nd tab Technical Info. Look at Inside the firewall alert and ZoneAlarm security enforcement at time of alert to see what has taken place.

Have a nice Day
    Well the only other computer hooked up to my router is my dad's laptop. Although for all I know some 1 else could be using our internet. True we have it secured with a password although as far as I know some 1 could have it. Thanks for all the advice though!

PS: I do have 1 very last question, aside from the extra alerts/logs I get from having my security set too high, is it a bad thing at all? What I mean is can having my security settings set too high actually compromise my security?
    Last edited by sodapop554; March 20th, 2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: 1 Very Last Question

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop554 View Post
    PS: I do have 1 very last question, aside from the extra alerts/logs I get from having my security set too high, is it a bad thing at all? What I mean is can having my security settings set too high actually compromise my security?
    Just take you're time to reflect on all the threads posted and follow what already suggested by Guru fax & Guru GeorgeV and just use defaults from install.

Good Luck and Have a nice Day

The IP blocked (192.168.1.1) looks like your router that is also the one resposible of allocating the IPs to the machine attached to it. Setting the trusted zone to HIGH will basically assume any connection will come from the internet. Your settings in the firewall zones will be nullified.

In such scenario you may have connection issues (drop of connection since hearbits from ISP may be rejected) and difficulties in obtain IPs from the router at startup or after sleep/hibernation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information